Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Jluvs2006
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Windows-Updates Continues to Re-install Updates.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:37 am

Windows Updates continues to re-install five specific updates which are:

*Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2604121) -Download size: 38.5 MB.

*Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656368) -Download size: 1.8 MB.

*Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656405) -Download size: 11.7 MB.

*Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2686827) -Download size: 4.3 MB.

*Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2600217) -Download size: 32.2 MB.

- I purchased my computer 4 to 5 months ago. It is a Windows 7 Home Premium Hewlett-packard HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC (64-bit Operating System). I have tried numerous trouble-shoots and all have failed. If anyone knows of a solution this extremely aggravating issue, please feel free to answer this immediately. Thank you. -Isaiah.

thegst
Gerbil XP

Re: Windows-Updates Continues to Re-install Updates.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:40 am

Failing Windows Updates usually means the machine is infected or WIndows is damaged.
Hit Start, type in 'cmd', hit Enter. You should receive a DOS-like prompt.

Try 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This is the System File Checker, an inbuilt function of Windows.
I also strongly suggest scanning your computer for viruses, malware and spyware. Fortunately what is failing is .NET and not some even more essential function of Windows. After sfc and the system scans try re-running the updates.

Please post back here with results as these steps are fairly starter steps and more may need to be done, possibly a full manual install of your .NET framework.
Mazinger [email protected]/3800mhz -Gig EP45-UD3R -4GB Corsair XMS2 CL5-5-5-15 1100mhz -Sapphire HD6850 900/1100 -OCZ Vertex 3 120GB -WD Black 750GB -Corsair TX650
BSOD -Q6700 -Intel DP43SG -8GB PNY DDR3 -HPT 2640x1 -4x2TB WD Green RAID5 -Seasonic S12-500

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:13 am

If the last post did not work, uninstall (reboot) and download/reinstall .NET from Windows Download; that will almost certainly work.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Jluvs2006
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:36 pm

thegst wrote:
Failing Windows Updates usually means the machine is infected or WIndows is damaged.

Try 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This is the System File Checker, an inbuilt function of Windows.
I also strongly suggest scanning your computer for viruses, malware and spyware. Fortunately what is failing is .NET and not some even more essential function of Windows. After sfc and the system scans try re-running the updates.

Please post back here with results as these steps are fairly starter steps and more may need to be done, possibly a full manual install of your .NET framework.

This action was un-successful; after typing in cmd, the DOS-like prompt appears. After entering sfc/scannow (without the quotes), and pressing enter, it prompts me with a message saying: "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility". Though I am not completely sure what this means, I do "know" that I "am" the sole-administrator of my computer according to the User Accounts details. The only other account running is the "Guest Account" which rarely gets logged-into.

Jluvs2006
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:43 pm

riviera74 wrote:
If the last post did not work, uninstall (reboot) and download/reinstall .NET from Windows Download; that will almost certainly work.

Forgive my ignorance, however I do not know how to uninstall (reboot) and download/re-install .NET from Windows Download. If possible, can you please explain these steps to me in greater detail? I am a student willing and ready to learn...but in "baby-steps". Lol. Thank you for your time, and concern.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Jluvs2006 wrote:
thegst wrote:

This action was un-successful; after typing in cmd, the DOS-like prompt appears. After entering sfc/scannow (without the quotes), and pressing enter, it prompts me with a message saying: "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility". Though I am not completely sure what this means, I do "know" that I "am" the sole-administrator of my computer according to the User Accounts details. The only other account running is the "Guest Account" which rarely gets logged-into.

He forgot you are using Windows 7. Hit Start, then type in "cmd" or "Command Prompt", you should see cmd.exe or "Command Prompt" show in the search result. Move your mouse so the cursor hover over the program, then right click. Select "Run as Administrator" and you will get the DOS-like window with "Administrator: Command Prompt" as the title. Then you can run 'sfc /scannow'. This is UAC in action where even being an "Administrator" you have to go through this explicitly to really do administrative actions.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Jluvs2006
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:21 pm

To Flying Fox: Thank you, your directions have helped. Though I still do not know if these actions will fix the over-all problem, your directions have gotten me a step further. And a great Thank You! to "everyone" working with me.

Jluvs2006
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:32 pm

So I just finished running the sfc/scannow and its report was that: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". It was mentioned that a full manual install of my .NET framework might possibly be needed as well, how do I go about doing this? Also, I just completed a virus, malware and spyware scan of my computer and it found eight (8) suspicious threats within' my registry; I have the full log-details if needed. I'm getting ready to restart the computer (mandatory in-order to remove all threats from my system); once I have re-booted, I will post and let you all know if the combination of actions have proven successful.

thegst
Gerbil XP

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:11 pm

Yep, I forgot about the admin elevation for sfc :)

Try this link first: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=17851

Follow the prompts like any program or update. Good luck!
Mazinger [email protected]/3800mhz -Gig EP45-UD3R -4GB Corsair XMS2 CL5-5-5-15 1100mhz -Sapphire HD6850 900/1100 -OCZ Vertex 3 120GB -WD Black 750GB -Corsair TX650
BSOD -Q6700 -Intel DP43SG -8GB PNY DDR3 -HPT 2640x1 -4x2TB WD Green RAID5 -Seasonic S12-500

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:33 pm

thegst wrote:
Yep, I forgot about the admin elevation for sfc :)

Try this link first: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=17851

Follow the prompts like any program or update. Good luck!

Remember to uninstall .NET first, reboot, then install as per the link listed above.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Jluvs2006
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:30 pm

Okay, because I tried it without uninstalling first and it "didn't" work. I'll try it again the right way and let you know. So far, everything asked of me to do has not been successful. From removing malicious entities, sfc/scannow to (in-correctly) installing Microsoft .NET Framework 4. I will attempt to correctly install Microsoft .NET Framework 4 and let you all know if it proves successful.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Jluvs2006 wrote:
Okay, because I tried it without uninstalling first and it "didn't" work. I'll try it again the right way and let you know. So far, everything asked of me to do has not been successful. From removing malicious entities, sfc/scannow to (in-correctly) installing Microsoft .NET Framework 4. I will attempt to correctly install Microsoft .NET Framework 4 and let you all know if it proves successful.

OK. Good luck.

Jluvs2006
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:58 am

Unfortunetly, all attempts have been unsuccessful.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:07 am

Jluvs2006 wrote:
Unfortunetly, all attempts have been unsuccessful.

Then use Revo Uninstaller to completely remove .NET and reboot. Windows Update should then allow you to install .NET.

pfntn
Gerbil

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:41 am

I've had really good results using this tool on both WinXP and Win7:
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/N ... 16561.html
Just download, run, and select the All Versions options. It will run for a while, but it should work.