Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Crucial M4 - SMART Bug

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:13 am

So I had a system that I built prior to the knowledge of this bug existing, and the firmware on the Cruical M4 128gb version was about as base as they come.

So I get a call from the owner of the system I built saying that his system has been shutting off on him. I don't get a LOT of detail, but when I get there, sure enough I noticed a repeated Kernel-Power Critical error in the windows logs. Looking at the time that the computer was shutting down, it appears to be roughly an hour apart (within 15-20 minutes of an hour).

Since this bug is only supposed to rear its ugly head after the drive has logged 5184 hours of on-time total (216 days), I'm assuming this is whats going on with the system. They have had the system for well over a year and the rarely shut it off, so hitting that 216 days of on-time seems pretty realistic. Has anyone else experienced this bug first hand? If so... are the intervals between lock ups EXACTLY an hour, or ON the hour... Or are pretty much a rough estimate that's about an hour, whenever S.M.A.R.T gets around to querying the drive for info? I'll know sometime here today whether or not the firmware update I did to the drive appeared to fix anything. Just figured I'd document what I found in case anyone else comes across the same issue and didn't think the symptoms were the same since its not precisely an hour apart.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Re: Crucial M4 - SMART Bug

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:45 am

Start here. If that does not work, he will need to RMA the m4 SSD to crucial.com. Their support line is here.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 am

riviera74 wrote:
Start here. If that does not work, he will need to RMA the m4 SSD to crucial.com. Their support line is here.

Did you even read my post lol? I noted that I did the firmware update as a result of the issue already. But wanted to converse with others that have had the same drive that's affected to see if the "Hourly" freeze that is supposed to happen is dead on the money once an hour, on the hour, about and hour, or what. The reason being is that this system would freeze but it was not always EXACTLY an hour, sometimes it was 1 hour and 20 minutes. Trying to determine a baseline characteristic for this issue so that in the future its a bit easier to diagnose in a system that a person may not know had a Cruical M4 in (or it might not be their first thought).

Thank you though for your post with the fixes. Maybe they will serve as a shortcut to Googlers looking up the issue.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:00 pm

Anyone know if the Crucial fix works on Sata 6? The early versions did not (which seemed odd given the product's specs.) Thanks.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:36 pm

This bug hit my drive months ago. Firmware update fixed it and everything has been golden since. I'm on SATA 6. This is on the W machine in my sig.