Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

PGleo86
Gerbil

Re: What are you driving RIGHT NOW?

Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Right now I'm driving a green 2004 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 sedan, bone stock. No pics, and it's at the shop right now because the catalytic converter is shot, but it looks like this one except the tan at the bottom of that one is the same green on mine. Only about 70000 miles on it, it's so much fun to drive :D
ASUS Z97-A, i7 4790K @ 4.8 + Corsair H100i GTX, Fractal Design Define R5 (window, Titanium), 20GB DDR3/1600, ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP!, 620W PSU, 5TB HDD, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro

Thatguy
Gerbil

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:31 pm

2002 Saturn sl. Yes the really cheap one. It's paid for and does great on gas, so i love it. Minimal maintenance other than replacing the clutch at 70k.I'm thinking the previous owner was either a horrible driver or rough on it.

When it's nice out and i finally got my new tires on i drive a 2007 Ninja 650r. Shiny red! Maybe I'll find some pics and add them later.
Athlon II x4 630 (3.5)|MSI 890gxm-g65|12gb ddr3-1333|Corsair cx400w|Dell U2312HM|MSI 7850|Force gt 120gb| Realtek intergrated goodness

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:42 pm

thegleek wrote:
Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this rolling down the highway coming back from work last week or so:

Image :o

That's right, the ultra-rare, uber-expensive Rolls Royce Phantom SUV. This wasn't a DEALER car either, no "D" or "M" plate on it.

It had a consumer vanity plate: IM GOOD

Oh and of course I took a photo (while driving), here it is (you can read the plate too!):

Image 8)

The top photo is a Suburban (or something along those lines) with an absolutely terrible fake front grill. The second photo is of a Range Rover.

End User

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:44 pm

I'm currently driving a 2012 GLI with a 6-speed manual.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:44 pm

This is an old photo, but it's the best I could find. 2009 BMW 328i xDrive. Still driving it, though will have to return it this year when my lease is up. Good overall car (excellent brakes + excellent steering feedback), no reliability issues, only bad points are the kind of "harsh" ride quality (last-generation Run-Flat tires + somewhat "firm" stock suspension - ok for good roads, bad for pothole-ridden streets like NYC has) and pretty poor built-in navigation system (BMW uses TeleAtlas as map database provider which, in my own experience, has pretty poor map coverage and route calculation, and the map updates are only available once a year and are pretty expensive and must be performed by dealer if you want to do it "the legal way").

Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:11 pm

2005 Civic Hybrid CVT. It's the best damn car I've ever owned: dead reliable, never had a thing break. Coming up to 135kmiles now, all by me.

Only real downside is that it's a quintessential commuter car. Reliable, gets you there comfortably, but no fun whatsoever.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

monts
Gerbil Jedi
Location: Western Australia (Gods Own Country for those uncertain)

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:58 am

I'm in the last few days of driving my ute. I've put a current pic here as I've changed the wheels and it's also had an custom exhaust added to it. I'll post pics of the new car when I get it.

iMac 27” | MacBook Air.
Cricket and AFL (Fremantle Dockers) tragic.

End User

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:02 am

monts wrote:
I'm in the last few days of driving my ute. I've put a current pic here as I've changed the wheels and it's also had an custom exhaust added to it. I'll post pics of the new car when I get it.

Very cool! I love Holdens. Is that the road that cuts up through Australia?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 am

End User wrote:

I'd be real careful about calling a car with a blue oval badge on the tailgate a Holden.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

End User

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:11 am

Captain Ned wrote:
End User wrote:

I'd be real careful about calling a car with a blue oval badge on the tailgate a Holden.

Whoops.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:30 am

End User wrote:
The top photo is a Suburban (or something along those lines) with an absolutely terrible fake front grill. The second photo is of a Range Rover.

Beat me to it. The top one looks like a Suburban or Cadillac and the bottom one is definitely a Range Rover.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Voldenuit

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:50 am

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart.

Currently stock. Going to install a Stage 0 after I run in the engine some more.

Handling is pretty good for such a heavy car. Had some heavy rain on the weekend and a bad section of road provoked a small slide mid-corner, but I was able to easily catch and control it because the steering and chassis was so communicative. It's no porsche boxster, but you can place the car very accurately with confidence (as long as you respect its limits). Turbo lag from low RPMs is a bit annoying, but the Stage 0 will fix that, and once the engine is in the revs, there's plenty of torque on tap.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:21 pm

2012 Subaru WRX Premium hatch. Bought it in Dec '11. This is my first brand new car. Mods so far: Cobb adjustable short shifter, Whiteline swaybars. Planning to keep it pretty much all stock, the only other thing I'm thinking at some point is wider Enkei RPF1 wheels. Awesome car, great utility of hatchback and can spank most other cars on the road with 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and awd to boot. The car in behind mine is my buddy's '09 WRX with Stage II tuning. Performancewise it's on par with M3.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:13 pm

bthylafh wrote:
2005 Civic Hybrid CVT. It's the best damn car I've ever owned: dead reliable, never had a thing break. Coming up to 135kmiles now, all by me.

Only real downside is that it's a quintessential commuter car. Reliable, gets you there comfortably, but no fun whatsoever.

No harm in that at all:

Previous owner was literally the little old lady who drove it less than 10k miles/year. 4cyl-auto with acceleration that can best be described as "relaxed". I picked it up in October 2010 for a fair price and it is ideal when I don't want cops giving me the evil eye. I see 1-4 of these every day that are the same body style and color.

Why am I driving it right now? Because, although the Celica on page 1 is doing just fine, the NWS official temperature in these parts is 100F as of five minutes ago, and cars which are black and have very small A/C condensers are absolutely miserable in this sort of weather.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

monts
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:25 am

End User wrote:
monts wrote:

I'll forgive for the Holden insult :wink:. The highway is he one across the nullabor plain. Heads from Norseman in WA to ceduna in SA.
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.

monts
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:38 am

I've had my new car for about two weeks after trading in the ute. This time I've got a 2012 FPV GS. Got it as a demo model so saved a bit. It has been lots of fun. Its got a Supercharged 5.0L "Coyote" engine making 315kW & ZF 6 speed auto, 19" alloys etc. Having trouble trying to wipe the grin from my face.

Its a bit dirty at the moment. Spending time driving it rather than washing it. Also the weather is crappy over here so i'll get some better shots when the weather and light improves.

iMac 27” | MacBook Air.

Great_Big_Abyss
Gerbil

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:49 am

To EndUser: who called the Ford Falcon a 'Holden', here is a bit of education:

There are two kinds of car guys in Australialand: Ford guys and GM guys. Holden is a GM subsidiary. The two camps of car guys hate each other. They typically have HUGE brawls in the Outback using massive cans of Fosters as clubs, all to see which 'car guy' is manlier. Calling his Ford Falcon a 'Holden' is akin to calling monts a New Zealander. It's a dreaded insult.

To Monts: Since you seem to love Fords, you should come to North America sometime and try out the Mustang. The new ones are just EPIC. Most powerful production mustang ever is currently the Shelby GT500. 550hp (410kW). My personal favorite is the Boss 302 which is a little less powerful at 444hp (331kW), but is by far the best handling production Mustang ever.

This is my 2006 Ranger:
My Rig: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster Gemin II; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI GTX960; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 4TB WD Red; 2x 2TB WD Green; PC&C 750W PS; Corsair Carbide 600C;

monts
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:58 am

Great_Big_Abyss wrote:

<snip>

To Monts: Since you seem to love Fords, you should come to North America sometime and try out the Mustang. The new ones are just EPIC. Most powerful production mustang ever is currently the Shelby GT500. 550hp (410kW). My personal favorite is the Boss 302 which is a little less powerful at 444hp (331kW), but is by far the best handling production Mustang ever.

<snip>

I would like to get over there someday, it would be nice to do an epic drive like the pacific to alantic. Especially in something that you could have fun driving like a mustang. I've always had a soft spot for them, its just that they are so expensive by the time they get over here.
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:13 am

Are the "hoon laws" and speed cameras as bad in WA as they appear to be in Victoria? Not sure I could own a car like that with such repressive traffic enforcement.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:34 am

I drive an '07 Pontiac Montana SV6 Ext, wife drives an '07 Ponitiac Grand-Prix.. her car just passed 120k, zero problems.. my car just passed 55k, minor sliding door issue has been only problem.

And yeah, the minivan is the utlimate cool car :lol:
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

monts
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:40 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Are the "hoon laws" and speed cameras as bad in WA as they appear to be in Victoria? Not sure I could own a car like that with such repressive traffic enforcement.

Yes they pretty much are. But then again that's what cruise control is for :) And noone said there was any limitations on how quickly you get to the speed limit ;) On the windy country roads around my place the extra oomph available under your right hoof helps when overtaking, you don't want to spend any more time than necessary on the other side of the road.
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.

End User

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:47 am

Great_Big_Abyss wrote:

Oh for f@ck sakes! I was reading the dam post via a bog slow SSH connection and paid the price for not paying any attention to the damn photo that took ages to appear. I know what the the difference is!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:08 am

End User wrote:
Great_Big_Abyss wrote:

Oh for f@ck sakes! I was reading the dam post via a bog slow SSH connection and paid the price for not paying any attention to the damn photo that took ages to appear. I know what the the difference is!

Well, it was a 50-50 shot. :wink:

Great_Big_Abyss
Gerbil

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:25 am

Captain Ned wrote:
End User wrote:
Great_Big_Abyss wrote:

Ya, I more just wanted the opportunity to make fun of Aussies than to berate you :lol: .
My Rig: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster Gemin II; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI GTX960; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 4TB WD Red; 2x 2TB WD Green; PC&C 750W PS; Corsair Carbide 600C;

End User

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 am

Captain Ned wrote:
End User wrote:
Great_Big_Abyss wrote:

Sigh. This thread is hounding me to switch over to Teksavvy's 25/7 plan. Upload is way more important that download now. My 75/2 plan from Rogers is hobbled by the upload.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:06 pm

No pictures of it to post yet, but this past weekend I traded in my old '97 Ford Taurus (which actually belonged to my Dad, legally) for a beautiful 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT. Came with a bit under 23k miles on it. So far, I love the crap out of it. I'm thinking tonight I'll take a little bit of a night drive and have some fun with the windows down.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

monts
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:30 pm

CampinCarl wrote:
No pictures of it to post yet, but this past weekend I traded in my old '97 Ford Taurus (which actually belonged to my Dad, legally) for a beautiful 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT. Came with a bit under 23k miles on it. So far, I love the crap out of it. I'm thinking tonight I'll take a little bit of a night drive and have some fun with the windows down.

I know that feeling of just wanting to go drive just because you want to get out and drive it. I'm still finding frivolous excuses for going out for a drive. Having a lot of fun working out the manual mode of the auto for overtaking. Found out that in 3rd at about 80km/h when you bury the right hoof the traction control doesn't like how the rear tyres react to the sudden increase in power.
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:48 pm

So far I've been enjoying the ZF 6-speed paddle shifters a lot. I've put over 200 miles on it just since 2PM on Saturday. It could be that everyone in Ohio drives slow, it could also be that I have no desire for a speeding ticket, but I typically only have to shift from 6th to 5th in order to rapidly overtake someone who is being a nuisance. Sometimes I don't even drop gears. Turns out, 306 HP moves you right along, even when you weigh over 4000 pounds.

It also helps that the sticker for this car back when it was brand new was $30k and I got it for very close to $21k.

Edit: Now it's a bit over 250 miles since Saturday ;) That was a good bit of fun; I just don't know where too many good roads that are empty at 9:30PM. Gonna have to do some 'research' on that one.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:15 am

Unfortunately I don't have the latest Falcon from Ford or FPV haha.

Dodgy photo but one of my three cars, this one in particular is my project car, old photos though:

1997 Ford Fairmont Ghia, top of the range old man car in its day, in old man colour and old man cappacino coloured leather interior:

Here is a crappy photo of my 2010 turbo diesel Focus:

I've also got a 2009 WS Fiesta:

I only drive the finest motor cars, Ford ;)

CasbahBoy
Gerbil

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:36 am

I drive a Golf R! I've wanted a hot hatch since seeing (and hearing) the mk4 R32 so many years ago. I think its hilarious that my attainable dream car is a 256hp all-wheel-drive...Golf :wink:

I love the Talladega wheels on this thing to death.

The guy at the wheel in the first pic is a buddy of mine who just picked up one of these!
"We demand rigidly defined values of doubt and uncertainty!"