Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Firefox: Stop Websites From Stealing Cursor?

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:09 pm

This has been a source of frustration and annoyance for some time. I load up a page and start typing somewhere, and the damn website steals my cursor and puts it somewhere else. I've even gone so far as to make my start page about:blank, because most common home pages will steal the cursor while I'm attempting to type in a URL.

Does anyone know how to completely prevent all cursor stealing in Firefox?

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Firefox: Stop Websites From Stealing Cursor?

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:25 pm

I don't think FF is your problem - more likely an extension you may have installed or the site's javascript is causing the form field(s) to grab focus. An easy shortcut to get the cursor into the address bar while highlighting all of it is alt+d. This works in every browser as well as windows explorer. Alternatively if you wanted to try it, you could disable javascript but I have a feeling that solution will cause frustration on other pages.

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:26 pm

I believe that disabling Javascript will prevent this from happening. The problem is likely that you are typing into a box on the page, but the website hasn't completely finished loading. At some point in time, the Javascript code is loaded and executes and calls the "focus()" method on a different text box than the one you are typing in. Anger ensues. :evil:

As a workaround, I've made a conscious effort to not type anything into a page until it has completely finished loading.

EDIT: http://superuser.com/questions/96708/st ... search-box
i5-9600K · Z390 Aorus Pro · 16GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 · MSI TwinFrozr HD7850 · Intel 760p 512GB · WD 1TB · HP ZR24w · Corsair VX450 · Antec Solo · Win10/Ubuntu 18.10

The Egg
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:13 pm

nerdrage wrote:
I believe that disabling Javascript will prevent this from happening. The problem is likely that you are typing into a box on the page, but the website hasn't completely finished loading. At some point in time, the Javascript code is loaded and executes and calls the "focus()" method on a different text box than the one you are typing in. Anger ensues. :evil:

As a workaround, I've made a conscious effort to not type anything into a page until it has completely finished loading.

EDIT: http://superuser.com/questions/96708/st ... search-box

Yeah, I'm sure that's what's happening as well, and I've almost thrown objects across the room on several occasions. I do run NoScript, but this typically happens with sites which are whitelisted and I'll need their functionality at some point. It's particularly infuriating when you have just opened a new browser and started typing a URL, only to have the start page grab the cursor halfway through. Like I said, I've resorted to opening with "about:blank", but this is still a major annoyance at other times as well.

I can't think of a single instance where cursor stealing would be desirable. I was hoping there was some little-known way to just kill that ability altogether.

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:23 pm

This seems like it would be easy to do with grease monkey, just ignore the focus() method.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:00 pm

That bug has been around since FF2.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:42 pm

Flying Fox wrote:

Hard to call it a bug when every other browser does this as well. What browser in stock form can you visit say Google on and not have your cursor captured?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:34 am

Washer wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

Hard to call it a bug when every other browser does this as well. What browser in stock form can you visit say Google on and not have your cursor captured?

Not when it is cross-tab.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

The Egg
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:07 am

So basically, there's no solution to this except maybe try Grease Monkey?