Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

[Help]Installing HDD w/ original software in another PC?

Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:16 am

Hello guys,

Like the title says, i need some help. I have a proprietary software installed in a Dell Optiplex GX320 that controlls an installation. The system has been replaced once before due to a malfunction, i just bought the same model and swapped the HDD while also clonning it on the new drive, as a backup.

Unfortunately i can't find this Dell model anymore, not even secound hand, so i would like to think "outside the box" a little and see if i can solve my problem in a different manner. The 2nd Dell optiplex that is being used now is showing signs of failure and might need to be changed soon but like i said i can't find a replacement.

So my question is: How can i put the HDD in another system while keeping the OS and the software operational (which are both installed on the C partition)?

I should mention the OS is Windows XP and the Dell GX 320 is the one with Pentium D 925 CPU and 1 Gb of RAM.

I have tried to put the HDD in another system as a secondary HDD, but the software i need won't run. I tried installing it in newer versions of Dell systems but due to the fact that the hardware is different, the HDD won't boot (it displays a blue screen with some errors).

How can i make this happen?
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

boing
Gerbil XP

Re: [Help]Installing HDD w/ original software in another PC?

Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:54 am

If you have a Windows XP disc, you should be able to boot it and during installation choose to upgrade or make a repair installation. It will reinstall all drivers according to the system that booted it and reset most, but not all, windows configurations.

This doesn't always work but it's saved my ass a couple of times. Though clone/make a backup before attempting this.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:16 am

Ensure you get an XP FPP install cd slipstreamed with SP3.

Download and run intel's INF update utility http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... hipset+inf
Go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> IDE controllers then in Properties change any specific branded drivers listed to "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".

If the old system drives were on SATA and the new system's SATA controllers are off-board and/or non-Intel then you may further problems. Try to choose a new system with an Intel chipset generation no higher than D945/D946 as much as possible. Check the BIOS on the newer system to see if can at least recognize the old drive or its clone.

Then as previously suggested, boot the XP install disc on the new PC and do a repair of the C: partition. Afterwards, run intel's INF update utility again, reboot, then download and apply the latest Intel LAN, video, and audio drivers for your new system. You may be forced to call MS Genuine Advantage on their automated support line given the huge changes between systems.

Other than these procedures, you'd have to learn to work with Microsoft SysPrep.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:48 am

Pretty cool, thanks guys. Will try it out as soon as possible with a cloned drive.
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

thegst
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:44 am

If you _really_ want to think outside the box, P2V it and never have a problem with it again.
Mazinger [email protected]/3800mhz -Gig EP45-UD3R -4GB Corsair XMS2 CL5-5-5-15 1100mhz -Sapphire HD6850 900/1100 -OCZ Vertex 3 120GB -WD Black 750GB -Corsair TX650
BSOD -Q6700 -Intel DP43SG -8GB PNY DDR3 -HPT 2640x1 -4x2TB WD Green RAID5 -Seasonic S12-500

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:11 am

thegst wrote:
If you _really_ want to think outside the box, P2V it and never have a problem with it again.

If all fails, i will try it out, though i must admit i never used a VM nor have i ever did a physical to virtual conversion migration of a system. Should be fun though, i just hope i don't screw up.

thegst
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Definitely worth a try - that trick has helped me in similar scenarios with medical software.
Mazinger [email protected]/3800mhz -Gig EP45-UD3R -4GB Corsair XMS2 CL5-5-5-15 1100mhz -Sapphire HD6850 900/1100 -OCZ Vertex 3 120GB -WD Black 750GB -Corsair TX650
BSOD -Q6700 -Intel DP43SG -8GB PNY DDR3 -HPT 2640x1 -4x2TB WD Green RAID5 -Seasonic S12-500

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:35 pm

Simple, buy acronis backup and recovery, image the drive, use bootable media for acronis to universally restore image to new drive and different hardware, have unpacked system drivers for new hardware available for the software to choose during restore process.

Thats it... i do this a couple times a week. Works like a charm. Just know that you will need to reactivate windows and other software with legal cd keys.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:08 am

If its the software you need to keep rather than the hardware, try converting it to a virtual machine. VMWare has P2V tools for free.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:44 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
If its the software you need to keep rather than the hardware, try converting it to a virtual machine. VMWare has P2V tools for free.

I looked on the VMware website and watched a few instructional videos on youtube. From my understanding i have to use the VMware vCenter Converter first to make the physical to virtual conversion and then use the VMware Player to actually use the virtual machine.

So far i got 2 qustions:
- how can i copy the actual VM (after it's created) from the cloned HDD in which i will create it to the new physical machine in which i intend to run it? Or that's not how it works and i have to save it directly to that machine via a local network?
- the software needs a "token" to run which is connected to a port on the back of the machine. How would i use it on the new physical machine? I mean i will connect it but how will the VM use a physical port?

Welch wrote:
Simple, buy acronis backup and recovery, image the drive, use bootable media for acronis to universally restore image to new drive and different hardware, have unpacked system drivers for new hardware available for the software to choose during restore process.

Thats it... i do this a couple times a week. Works like a charm. Just know that you will need to reactivate windows and other software with legal cd keys.

There is a problem. The machine came with everything preinstalled (OS and prorietary software) and afaik we don't have the keys for either of them...

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Yeah, vCenter will P2V your old box, either over the network or to local storage - it turns the whole machine into a database file, which you can then run via the VMWare player by the sounds of it. I'll have to put my hands up and say I honestly don't know what the limitations of the free version of VMWare are like, I've been using the enterprise versions (ESX) for years.

the software needs a "token" to run which is connected to a port on the back of the machine.

Supposedly VMWare supports mapping physical USB ports to virtual USB ports. I've never had much success with it though - I gave up with our Autodesk USB license dongles as well as the Chaos Group ones for V-Ray, but I wasn't trying especially hard since our licensing model moved away from those pissy little USB keys.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:51 pm

Arclight wrote:
There is a problem. The machine came with everything preinstalled (OS and prorietary software) and afaik we don't have the keys for either of them...

Simple again... MagicJellyBean

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Chrispy_ wrote:
Supposedly VMWare supports mapping physical USB ports to virtual USB ports. I've never had much success with it though - I gave up with our Autodesk USB license dongles as well as the Chaos Group ones for V-Ray, but I wasn't trying especially hard since our licensing model moved away from those pissy little USB keys.

As of 4.1 (IIRC) the mapping DOES work, and I've have had success in using it, works flawlessly actually. Again, IIRC, the mapping was supposed to be supported in 4.0 but plain out did not work. I'm a little hazy on the versions right now, but if you are using a release from a about a year ago or now its going to work.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x