Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Help - Need new game!

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:47 pm

Please save my soul before I decide to xfer my characters off of my dead WoW server onto a more alive one! I've been hoping to replace WoW as my time sink... but it doesn't seem likely. I've yet to find anything nearly as rewarding as WoW USED to be for its PVE and even PVP aspects.

Any suggestions on a good game. Blizzard dropped the soap with Diablo 3 re-playability in my opinion. And I refuse to play any of the horrible Star Wars MMOs. Any other GOOD suggestions? I know Guild Wars 2 is around the corner, Beta tested the first one but didn't like what the game eventually became... Hopefully it will be decent. Looking for a game to replace the good ole' days of World of Warcraft in Vanilla and Burning Crusade!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: Help - Need new game!

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:27 pm

No one with a suggestion... damn, that's surprising.

D3 isn't doing it
WoW has been played too much..

There have to be other good MMORPG like games out there!

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:47 pm

I don't play MMOs anymore but I used to have a lot of fun with Eve Online, if you're into that sort of thing. I also played a lot of CoH but it has gotten unbearably stupid since they made it free to play. Unfortunate because it was a pretty decent WoW alternative.

Don't forget about TES Online. Hopefully it won't suck, and by suck I mean be a carbon copy of WoW.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:35 am

Soon to be ex WoW player, ha? I think for you the best thing would be to take a time off from such time consuming games.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:40 am

Planetside 2 looks interesting, although more of an fps mmo, and it's in beta. Will be free to play.

I played some of Rift, and although it's called the poor man's WoW by some, I thought it was decent. They have a "lite" package that's free from levels 1-20 if you want to try before you buy. I bought it on a steam sale for $5, and it included the first month's subscription. They're adding content pretty regularly, if the headlines I see are any indication. Right now you can get the game for $10 with the first month's subscription.

Steam has quite a few free-to-play games that might work for you.

Then there's always the steam sales; you could put the money you used to spend on a subscription fee to purchase games on sale. You have more variety, and might stumble on something that you really like.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:41 am

Tried Eve, love sci-fi space stuff hate the game-play controls. The concept is there just not my style, the combat needs to be more active.

Played Rift on release also... was way to much of a grind and some of the core networking was BAD. Hopefully they fixed the networking issue in the game, but its nothing but a grind. After all, it is a Korean game.

TES Online...... My god how I wish that was out. I didn't know they had a release time, but apparently they are shooting for 2013. I'll worry about it when it comes out, but I'm thinking if its anything like Skyrim, but online.. then its going to be my new MMO of choice :). Can't believe I forgot about it... especially considering I've been trying to get the Skyrim-Online.org mod working.... which it doesn't! Not to mention the forums are completely dead at this time. I made a post regarding the failures of the mod as it stands... just trying to get it to work and i've had like 18 views and zero replies. I mean the servers and simple things like logging in are so broken that it deterred anyone from wanting to even try to figure it out.

I've technically been an "Ex-Wow" player since July of last year... but played VERY casual in PVP with my rogue, didn't even become guilded lol. But now the wife is playing again, and getting all into PVP. All of my buddies from WoW were all going to play D3, we are the hardcore type so we had level 60 in the first 3 days... but then the game got pretty boring after that. Zero replay IMO. They should have released it with the Arena and it needs TONS of tweaking to the core loot system IMO.

Not really looking to play the typical single or small player base games on Steam. I've got a ton of games on Steam. Just looking for a highly social game where my friends and I can play together. Most of the free games I've come across don't have nearly the polish that WoW or other top end games have.. that's what I'm looking for. I guess I might have to wait for TES :|

Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:33 am

Guild Wars 2 is opening up in August, have played a couple of the open Beta weekends and it's good fun. Looking forward to it going live.
"What luck for rulers, that men do not think"

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:51 am

I've stopped playing WoW just after Christmas, because Blizzard are targetting a different demographic these days:

Pandas, Pokemon pets, foolproof talent, gear, gemming choices, simplified everything. It is no longer interesting enough to theorycraft for, and the huge influx of children with short attention spans drove so many of the serious players away.
I could be wrong, but I suspect WoW is irrepairably damaged and a lot of serious players are either taking a break from MMO's (like me) or waiting eagerly for The Next Big Thing(TM).

Moving servers will just delay the inevitable; my guild moved off a dying server and the problem just happened again three months later.
The game has stagnated, people are tired of something that has been milked too hard, and it and it's hemorrhaging players now as fast as it accrued them in the first place.

If you look at subcription figures (http://mmodata.blogspot.co.uk/) then you'll see that WoW peaked at WotLK, slumped quickly with a brief spike for Cataclysm, and has continued to lose players since then. The temporary respite in the falling numbers can be attributed to the "subscribe for 12 months, get DiabloIII free" Around 30 people in our guild took up this deal, and only a couple of them still play WoW.
The real proof is that the number of servers with active, healthy populations is falling fast. The vote to move our guild again failed, because it costs money and because there's absolutely no guarantee that an active server will stay active.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:33 am

Welch wrote:
Please save my soul before I decide to xfer my characters off of my dead WoW server onto a more alive one! I've been hoping to replace WoW as my time sink... but it doesn't seem likely. I've yet to find anything nearly as rewarding as WoW USED to be for its PVE and even PVP aspects.

Any suggestions on a good game. Blizzard dropped the soap with Diablo 3 re-playability in my opinion. And I refuse to play any of the horrible Star Wars MMOs. Any other GOOD suggestions? I know Guild Wars 2 is around the corner, Beta tested the first one but didn't like what the game eventually became... Hopefully it will be decent. Looking for a game to replace the good ole' days of World of Warcraft in Vanilla and Burning Crusade!

I know your plight, my game has been Guild Wars for the last 6 years and now its just become a title grind. I played Diablo3 and started going through it again on Nightmare, but it just hasnt grabbed me like the first two did. I find myself playing Civ 4 more than anything since I can play 15-30 minutes a stretch and then stop.Guild Wars 2 is the one I'm waiting for, I haven't beta tested it, but from what I've read it's better than the first.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Welch wrote:
Just looking for a highly social game where my friends and I can play together.

Have you tried LotRO? It's kind of an old game and not really as diversified as WoW (due to severe lore restrictions), but the in-game world still looks aesthetically pleasing and the game can be still fun to play with some friends...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Sit tight and wait for Guild Wars 2.

FormCode
Gerbil

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:33 pm

I quit WoW quite a while ago. I spend most of my time playing Tribes:Ascend nowadays. Getting that perfect jump with a pathfinder as you speed toward the enemy flag or that 2x kill with the long range mortar is enough to keep me entertained. It has a slightly longer learning curve but once you master the almighty spinfusor you'll never go back. Also, I've been trying some of the f2p mmo's out there but none seemed to catch my eye long enough. I'm playing Continent of the Ninth open beta atm, seems decent enough although it's more action oriented. Played World of tanks quite a bit as well but i lost interest at one point. Too many non-penetrating shots and the nerf to HE shells killed it for me.
tl:dr ? try Tribes:Ascend ;)
Core i3 3220, Gigabyte H61MA-D3V, 2x4 GB Kingston 1333Mhz, Sapphire HD6790, WD 6400AAKS, Sony 5240S DVD-WR, Mushkin EP-400AP, Antec Mini P180, Microlab Solo 6c, Razer Salmosa, Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:52 pm

They could fix WoW if they wanted to... But I think their collective heads are shoved too far up their asses to realize they aren't the most awesome game company ever made anymore and they really need to figure out what people want again. Not just do what they think is trendy or will get more people to play. Either that or come up with a firm concise direction and stick to it (WoW has never had one). I wouldn't expect that to happen though.

I hear you. I played WoW for quite a few years and quite a couple times, the most recent was this last January and I haven't been back since.

I know a lot of WoW players are flocking to dotas if that interests you. League of Legends and Heroes of Neworth are both free. I personally don't like the combat style of dotas, but LoL has some pretty cool heroes and it's fun playing them for a bit.

You could sink quite a few hours into Dragon Age and Witcher 2 if you're interested in traditional RPGs too.

If you enjoy FPS's TF2 is a good place to start. Tribes Ascend as well. Personally Tribes only kept my interest for a little while though. They did a few things right in the game (like skiing), the rest is rather boring and mundane. It'll be interesting to see where it will be at in six months or so. I played the beta, stopped, then played it for a few weeks and stopped again (that was like two weeks ago).

Honestly I've played out all of the above and was pretty hard up for games a couple days ago. Friends renewed interest in Dungeon Defenders is helping, that and Blacklight Retribution just came out (which is f2p). It's a pretty awesome game for something that has been under my radar for so long. I'd almost say it's a more compelling FPS then BF3 is.

Other then that, it's just waiting for Planetside 2, Guild Wars 2, and Hawken...

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:20 pm

Waiting on Guild Wars 2 personally. I'm done with monthly fee based MMOs, I don't have the time these days to spend enough time in game to justify a recurring fee.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:57 am

I honestly don't mind the monthly fee IF it's a good game. So many times developers make a steaming PoS and then charge you for it. I will pay for good entertainment though.

The problem I have with MMOs is it's become clear to me after playing WoW is the fun/time ratio is waaaaay off. In order to enjoy the game you have to grind... and grind... and grind. I know it sounds logical because that's how they keep you playing (or so they think), but fun goes a long way and I'd totally be willing to pay for it. I think grindy games are on the out. There will always be people that enjoy the never ending grind in Everquest and those games will be there for them, but they'll never sit on top again in the same likeness that WoW did.

That is why we'll see Guildwars 2 become a massive success if it delivers even a small fraction of what they promised.