Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: Diablo III

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:07 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Pax-UX wrote:
The game lacks play styles if you play a Wizard then you pretty soon learn the best way to take down a mob, but there's only one good way to do it.

What is your way? I have a 46 Wizard and I figure I'm probably doing it wrong.

There is a Wizard build floating around that essentially makes the Wizard a warrior-mage with melee capabilities. I forget what you have to stack on the gear but I have seen some vids of it on youtube and it is really interesting.

If Blizzard doesnt nerf this, these are the type of things that keep people interested. Its a lot like how people can solo the Lich King in WoW.

Right now I am just in farm mode. I dont feel like progressing any further into Inferno until I can reduce my deaths. Act I in inferno is my highest and I know that unless I dont get better gear Belial will wipe the floor with me, with him being really the hardest boss in the game. My death ratio is still about 7-8 per hour.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:12 am

We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game. There are still tons of people playing every day and week, and playing a lot, but eventually they're going to run out of stuff to do (if they haven't already). Killing enemies and finding items is a lot of fun, and we think we have a lot of the systems surrounding that right, or at least on the right path with a few corrections and tweaks. But honestly Diablo III is not World of Warcraft. We aren't going to be able to pump out tons of new systems and content every couple months. There needs to be something else that keeps people engaged, and we know it's not there right now.

We're working toward 1.0.4, which we're really trying to pack with as many fixes and changes we can to help you guys out (and we'll have a bunch of articles posted with all the details as we get closer), and we're of course working on 1.1 with PvP arenas. I think both those patches will do a lot to give people things to do, and get them excited about playing, but they're not going to be a real end-game solution, at least not what we would expect out of a proper end-game. We have some ideas for progression systems, but honestly it's a huge feature if we want to try to do it right, and not something we could envision being possible until well after 1.1 which it itself still a ways out.

from Bashiok link
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:50 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Pax-UX wrote:
The game lacks play styles if you play a Wizard then you pretty soon learn the best way to take down a mob, but there's only one good way to do it.

What is your way? I have a 46 Wizard and I figure I'm probably doing it wrong.

I kitt like a scardy bitch! http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/w ... caZ!YYYbYY

This is my Wizards setup, also have about 279 DPS weapon equipped... get the best DPS you can afford, for a Wizard it effects all your spells. I also have two rings of +8-12 DMG and the same on an Amulate, found all those in game as they're hard to get in the AH, i.e. can't search for them... another problem with the AH, anything useful can't be searched for!! I also Magic Weapon which increase damage. Int is in the 1100 range everything I by must have Int buff

General tactic, I try to get as much of my stuff with Life on Hit. I'll spam blizzard and long range attack with lighting forcing to enter blizzard which slows them down, repeat. If something is too big (Blue/Yellow) I go into Archon form and Slowtime followed by tank beam, if you've enough Life on Hit it possible to go for a while before getting into trouble. I'll move grab a health glob and repeat.

I do about 4800 damage at level 54, but the game is now getting boring as it's all about getting better equipment to keep moving forward in the game since the mobs get harder and harder.
"What luck for rulers, that men do not think"

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:36 pm

So you're saying Wizard should have red gems on weapon and go for those +8-12 etc dmg rings. I was wondering about that.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:39 pm

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to find +dmg rings/amulets in the AH. I tried looking for "bonus minimum physical damage" but they don't show up. Still, I stumble across them as I browse my other search results.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
So you're saying Wizard should have red gems on weapon and go for those +8-12 etc dmg rings. I was wondering about that.

Level 60 wizard, trying to get through Inferno with my wife. Been doing the green gems for the, what is it, crit hit damage. Seems like higher up you want to spec for crit hit damage and chance and of course some increased attack speed.

My resists are pretty good, I thought, but Inferno is still kicking my butt. Kinda hit a wall in Act 3. Hit a wall at end of Act 1, then got some gear and got through Act 2, now same wall with Act 3. Though Act 2 seems harder in the last week and I didn't see any updates so now that's kicking my butt again. It's mainly the champions and elites that are doin' it though some of the regular mob popping in hurts.

Resists are all 500-700 range, can't recall if that's pre-40% buff or post. Health is something like 40-45k and dps is 25k-ish. My main weapon does 880-ish dps as the base. The % life stuff is nice, can get that instead of vit gear. 6% life? Yes, please! That's the "adds % life" not the "life on hit" or "steal % life" stat. I think my int is around 1600. I haven't bothered to look but I assume someone's done the figuring to find the point of diminishing returns on some of these stats.

My play style is probably all wrong but I don't do that whole hydra/blizzard/orb thing. I had to gear up to pass through Nightmare and Hell levels, but honestly Inferno is like a completely different game for me. I had to more than double my dps to actually contribute anything in fights. I had my health up to 60k at one point but since then I've been more heavily looking for resists and other stuff to get the dps up instead. I remember in my 50's I went from 3k dps to 7k dps and thought I was godlike. Then when I somehow got it up to almost 9k, whoa, look out! Then I hit Inferno and my soul was destroyed.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Scrotos wrote:
Then when I somehow got it up to almost 9k, whoa, look out! Then I hit Inferno and my soul was destroyed.
All these stories make me aim to complete Hell on at least one toon and then play alts or wait for expansion. I know I won't have the perseverance to farm every piece of gear to progress.

I am slow-paced compared to most here so by then, WoW expansion should be out.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:28 pm

For virtually any class:
Increased Attack Speed was the #1 stat, which is why it was nerfed. It sucks though, as without it, the game feels slow as hell. I still have it on 3 pieces of gear.

The new "#1 stat" is a tie between Crit % and Crit Damage, at the Inferno level having 30%+ crit chance + 200%+ increased crit dam is huge; its how people have crazy numbers like 90k, even 150k dps.
But really, it's hard to say "best stat" because you need several of the "top" stats on a piece of gear for it to be meaningful. I've spent more than 20mil just buying "sidegrade" gear looking for a balance between survival and dps...

Half the time I die is because I get out of the way of X but instead of actually dodging it / getting out of it, I'm rubberbanded back 5ft and die anyways. Doesn't matter how good your defensive stats are if the thinks you're just standing still in lava getting smacked like a bitch for 2s longer than you think you are.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:30 pm

lilbuddhaman wrote:
Half the time I die is because I get out of the way of X but instead of actually dodging it / getting out of it, I'm rubberbanded back 5ft and die anyways. Doesn't matter how good your defensive stats are if the thinks you're just standing still in lava getting smacked like a bitch for 2s longer than you think you are.

And this is why I have no desire to play hardcore.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:

That's what I do, dropped 35K on a +15 DMG Perfect Square Ruby for the weapon, a must IMO. They output sooo much damage you have to kill them as quick as possible. Otherwise you blink you dead!

Pax-UX
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:42 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
lilbuddhaman wrote:

And this is why I have no desire to play hardcore.

Most of the I die is caused by lag! This is a complete pain since I solo all my games and if this was a client side game it would be an issue.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Scrotos wrote:
Though Act 2 seems harder in the last week and I didn't see any updates so now that's kicking my butt again.

They don't need to update the user clients to adjust anything that affects the environment, since you're essentially playing on their system.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:55 am

Is it possible people are writing bots to sweep the market, buy the cheap items and relist them higher? Prices are getting really bad in the gold market. Even for my alts in the 30's it is quite bad, some levelling gold items are 30-50k. And when looking for shoulders at level 51 I see prices of 150k to 250k. Why would I blow out a third of my gold for one levelling item?

I'm not even talking about the retards that list sub-60 golds for 1 million.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:03 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Is it possible people are writing bots to sweep the market, buy the cheap items and relist them higher? Prices are getting really bad in the gold market. Even for my alts in the 30's it is quite bad, some levelling gold items are 30-50k. And when looking for shoulders at level 51 I see prices of 150k to 250k. Why would I blow out a third of my gold for one levelling item?

I'm not even talking about the retards that list sub-60 golds for 1 million.

This has been my complaint all along. Sub 60 items (there are exceptions) are obviously leveling items and should never ever post for more than 10-20K. People need to realize this. Why would someone pay 2 million gold for a level 30 item? Its ruining the economy.

Since there is little to no account bound gear, it usually ends up as paying it forward when we "outgrow items".

To fix this there needs to be a listing fee that is based on the listing price, much like it is in WoW. List something for 2 million well it will cost you to list.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:18 am

Buy - lvl equipment and compare it to regular 60 stuff for some reason it doesn't show up unless you click on main class then look for -lvl requirement. I spent I think 850k (that doesn't include the flawless star amathyst that I use (loh). I sold it all back and pretty much lost only 60k onstuff that I sold back (some of the stuff was underpriced). I did finally beat the game with my dh, my wall was dps, I needed a new bow. For those wondering my build no traps or faster run walk. smokescreen, nether or (electric ball), shadow power (gloom), preparation (forcused mind), rain of vengence, passives- archery, night stalker, steady aim. Now my barb is lvl 60, I'm pretty sure I can beat act 2, but I cant do act three for sure, Anyone have any builds that I might be interested in for the barb?

**********eww

I'll fix this nonesense later
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:52 am

OK so I started a hardcore dude, and it was fun (note: I had to fix my weird lag issues first, which is why I had no desire. A new router did the trick). A Barbarian that I got to the end of act II with and thought I could tough out Belial - he was almost dead and I was at full health, I'm just going to wail on him until he croaks. He died and then...err...I died at the same time. I got the "no more lies" achievement and the "Hardkore has died" message at the same time. ****.

But yeah, it was fun. I'll do that again.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:26 am

For the people leveling, especially higher up in the grades, search for gear with the "Reducad level requirements". Those arent searched for that much, so it tends to be decently cheap, and getting items a bunch of levels OVER you characters usually adds a nice bonus on any stats it has. Especially for going through Act 3-4 of Hell just before you reach level 60 and you can start using level 60-63 gear with RLR is like being born again.

Personally, once you hit lvl 60, hell is not a problem. I could litteraly stand in a double blue mob in act 3 or take on diablo with my wiz, and he just couldnt do any damage to me. But I had specced it for life per second, so no hit requirement or anything required.

allreadydead
Gerbil

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:58 pm

As it got fixed, it is safe to post this;
wizard god mode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3UTnUA6ioA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FucBAlXlP0A

There is also a barbarian glitch in the game but it's not as effective as this one. As its not fixed, I wont bring it in here.
Maybe blizz should focus on game instead of trying to milk most out of RMAH :roll:
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:25 pm

Yeah I'm sure it's the same 2 guys doing the game code and the RMAH.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:47 am

tfp wrote:

Your sarcasm is pointless.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:42 pm

Meadows wrote:
tfp wrote:

Your sarcasm is pointless.

As is your response. :lol:

allreadydead
Gerbil

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:13 pm

tfp wrote:

It's not about about quantity but quality. 2 or 2.000, the game is far more simpler on mechanicswise than predecessor, still it contains bugs like "god mode". IF Blizz has 2.000 coders focusing to game itself, that is more of a tragedy than failing with only 2 coders..

Just like any other company, Blizzard has limited resources and just like any other project, they have priorities. I'm pointing out that they have Auction House system as their priority not the game itself. Is it really that hard to understand ?
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:21 pm

I like to pretend you're American when I read that post, so that way I see, "2 or 2"

Also, y'all can get bent, I'm still having a blast with this game.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:49 pm

allreadydead wrote:
tfp wrote:

It's not about about quantity but quality. 2 or 2.000, the game is far more simpler on mechanicswise than predecessor, still it contains bugs like "god mode". IF Blizz has 2.000 coders focusing to game itself, that is more of a tragedy than failing with only 2 coders..

Just like any other company, Blizzard has limited resources and just like any other project, they have priorities. I'm pointing out that they have Auction House system as their priority not the game itself. Is it really that hard to understand ?

Auction House code will not be like the in game code and they aren't going to just move people in to fix the game code who don't even know what is going on in said code. I would expect the AH is a different group of developers from the credits at the end of the game. The changes make within the AH are not slowing development of fixes within the actual game.

I understand not liking the RMAH but pissing and moaning and saying AH is holding everything back is just silly.

Also this:
derFunkenstein wrote:

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:03 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I am glad someone is. (really I am) I want so much more from DIII, I just know its unrealistic at this point. In contemplating this I really dont know what I was expecting. Is DIII such a large departure from DII? Or maybe I am just getting old and the hack/slash - Farm for loot isnt as appealing as it was some 12 years ago. But even after those 12 years I would have expected something or some mechanic to be, you know, different. maybe I should blame MMOs. /shrug. Hell I dont know.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:33 pm

the problem for me is that WoW already did what this game does, and it did it better, with more depth, a bigger world with more players, it pretty much did everything d3 does and did it better, 5 years ago. The gameplay style was different with a targeting system instead of hack and slash directional damage, but still amounted to roughly the same result.

After getting through the terrible story and completing the game, d3 is very Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz for me. The biggest weaknesses that I have seen are, too many class abilities that are plain useless, unimaginative or weak in comparison to the other skills. Which is in direct contradiction to what they said they were trying to do, to make it so there can be limitless build possibilities. Then the fact that itemization is extremely boring, legendaries get the best art work but they make them really gimpy? A lot of the items don't even look very cool and you can't really go for a build or style to your character visually, let alone through skills/gameplay

I still had a lot of fun playing through the game, from the perspective that it was shiny and there were some cool things to see. But it lacks depth and that's why it has very little replayability for me

allreadydead
Gerbil

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:16 pm

tfp wrote:
allreadydead wrote:
tfp wrote:

Auction House code will not be like the in game code and they aren't going to just move people in to fix the game code who don't even know what is going on in said code. I would expect the AH is a different group of developers from the credits at the end of the game. The changes make within the AH are not slowing development of fixes within the actual game.

I understand not liking the RMAH but pissing and moaning and saying AH is holding everything back is just silly.

Also this:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I'm pretty much sure that my english is really tricky to understand. However, I still can't believe you persist on ignoring my point. They are prioritizing AH developpement not the game. One can tell this observing patch rate, amount of fixed things. Ok, The Game's Code Base is undoubtly HUGE and AH codes compared to actual games are very small. But still, I have impression game fixes are not a PRIORITY as AH fixes.
I may hate RMAH concept and I might have said it out loud in this forums. That fact doesnt change that I'm more impressed the work done on AH system. It was pretty much alpha state at game launch and matured pretty quickly with never ending fixes. On the other hand, game fixes are constantly getting pushed to later dates. Wizards and Barbs are enjoying their immortality while Blizzard acts way too much slow.

a finishing note, I'm not american. If you think 2.000 is 2, that is more than "american" ;)

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:51 pm

allreadydead wrote:
I'm pretty much sure that my english is really tricky to understand. However, I still can't believe you persist on ignoring my point. They are prioritizing AH developpement not the game. One can tell this observing patch rate, amount of fixed things. Ok, The Game's Code Base is undoubtly HUGE and AH codes compared to actual games are very small. But still, I have impression game fixes are not a PRIORITY as AH fixes.
I may hate RMAH concept and I might have said it out loud in this forums. That fact doesnt change that I'm more impressed the work done on AH system. It was pretty much alpha state at game launch and matured pretty quickly with never ending fixes. On the other hand, game fixes are constantly getting pushed to later dates. Wizards and Barbs are enjoying their immortality while Blizzard acts way too much slow.
If AH code is simpler, than of course it's going to get more frequent updates...not because it has priority, but because it takes 2 minutes by one person rather than a team working for a full week or more. And the topic of immortal glitches, that's a big issue. Not to excuse anyone for it, but it's something where a fix could easily cause other major issues.

a finishing note, I'm not american. If you think 2.000 is 2, that is more than "american" ;)
A "." when used in mathematics is a decimal point, meaning that .000 = 0. For that reason, we either express "two thousand" as 2,000 or 2000 so that 2.000 is not confused with 2. :wink:
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:37 pm

Wow, the non-American is illiterate. I clearly said "I like to pretend you're American" because I knew exactly what he meant. I didn't say "I think" or "You're a dumb American" I said "I like to pretend". How dumb do you have to be?

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:44 pm

superjawes wrote:
allreadydead wrote:
A "." when used in mathematics is a decimal point, meaning that .000 = 0. For that reason, we either express "two thousand" as 2,000 or 2000 so that 2.000 is not confused with 2. :wink:

Actually, the amount of digits (0's included) past the decimal point indicate the level of significant figures (sig. fig.) in the equation. Generally that number is based on the level of measurably inherent in the tool(s) used for measuring the figure. That said, I do not know why that level of sig. fig. was used in this example, but .000 does not equal 0. .000 equals an amount measured to the nearest thousandth by something capable of measuring coders to that level of magnitude. Honestly it's silly. 0.001 coders couldn't do shit.
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر