Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Dyson air multiplier case mod?

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Why hasn't anyone come up with a case mod that uses the Dyson air multiplier to channel gusts of wind into the case to keep all the components running cool? I know it would be pretty expensive but it would be quiet too, since there are no annoying blades.

TDIdriver
Gerbil First Class

Re: Dyson air multiplier case mod?

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Why hasn't anyone come up with a case mod that uses the Dyson air multiplier to channel gusts of wind into the case to keep all the components running cool? I know it would be pretty expensive but it would be quiet too, since there are no annoying blades.

Size of the fans, all of the ducting that would be needed to direct the airflow, and as you said, cost. The footprint of a setup using one would be ridiculous with the fan and case together.
Q9450|GA-EP45-UD3P|8GB G.skill PC2-8800|HD7870 Myst
120GB Vertex3|300GB Velociraptor|HX650|600T

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
there are no annoying blades.

Huh? Dyson's "air multiplier" uses standard fan, with blades, it's just not really "visible" because it's hidden at the base of the unit...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:01 pm

This has come up before. The problem is that while that device can produce copious airflow, it can only do so when it isn't facing significant backpressure -- blowing into an open room, not into a small enclosed space like a case. Stick it in the front of a case, and a lot of air would end up blowing back out through the center of it, which is probably not what you want. Now, you might then choose to rig up two of them, with one acting as an exhaust to keep pressure close to ambient; that might work so as long as you kept it (and the case) well away from any walls or desk sides, etc. But now you're talking about a very expensive setup, and it probably still wouldn't be as effective as some modern top-end case fans.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:43 pm

Dyson = unnecessary high airflow with no requirement to keep noise levels low.

Enjoy your 75 decibel roaring PC from the land of the deaf. I'll be able to actually hear what actors are saying in the movie I'm watching.
In peace and quiet.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.