Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

QuickSilverD
Gerbil
Topic Author

Recommend me Printer for Home Network

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:43 pm

It seems this is the right subforum to put this, if not my apologies.

I'm looking for a good cheap printer for my home, I would like one that can be conected directed to my Home Network without needing a host computer to share it across the network and can work well with both Windows XP and Windows 7 computers.

Does anyone has any recommendations? Do you guys have a preference for printers in your home?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Recommend me Printer for Home Network

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:16 pm

Do you need good photo printing capabilities or is this for documents? Do you even need color? Brother makes a well-regarded laser printer (B&W only) that has WiFi and ethernet connectivity, and it is frequently on sale for about $100 (check Office Depot, Staples, Fry's, etc).

blanchjd
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:30 pm

I'll second the recommendation of Brother printers either B&W or color. I have a Color Laser Multifunction printer that has been excellent. Connects to directly to the network, for use by all computers in my home. Toner is easy and cheap to refill - a big consideration for color lasers.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:42 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Brother makes a well-regarded laser printer (B&W only) that has WiFi and ethernet connectivity, and it is frequently on sale for about $100 (check Office Depot, Staples, Fry's, etc).

That's a pretty good model - we have it in our vacation house, very convenient for printing stuff from laptops, the printing quality is good and it's been pretty reliable so far.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

QuickSilverD
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:44 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Do you need good photo printing capabilities or is this for documents? Do you even need color? Brother makes a well-regarded laser printer (B&W only) that has WiFi and ethernet connectivity, and it is frequently on sale for about $100 (check Office Depot, Staples, Fry's, etc).
Sounds like a good offer, but I am looking for something that prints in color, doesn't have to be photo quality, just for documents.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:06 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6828113510

looks pretty decent, and it emulates PCL6 and PostScript.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:01 pm

bthylafh wrote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113510

looks pretty decent, and it emulates PCL6 and PostScript.
That's not exactly cheap, though. For a less spendy option I'd look at the first couple listed here (and check Amazon and the B&M suspects I listed earlier for specials). I don't have any direct experience with color printers from Brother but I trust the brand.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Too late, perhaps, but right now Newegg has a couple of those "workgroup" (aka networked) Brother laser printers on sale.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:16 pm

I have one of Canon's inkjets in the $150-200 range, an all-in-one with discrete color cartridges, and can't praise it enough. Instant Wifi setup with Windows Update drivers (aside from download time), great scanning quality, and excellent print quality, including photos on nice glossy paper.

It replaced a Lexmark that literally broke itself; after dealing with Lexmark's drivers, where the printer will just stop printing until reinstalling the drivers (even between print jobs in the same session!), I think I'll stick with Canon for inkjet and probably HP for laser.