Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Employer buying us Tablets

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:00 pm

My employer is offering to buy me a tablet for work. Now I already have a Playbook and it is more than capable for what I do. But I am not going to turn down a $500 check to buy a new toy. I have considered using the money to buy a 64GB Playbook and pocketing the other 200. But... I have no need for the extra space, I stream my music from my Blackberry Bolds massive microSD card. There is no way I'm turning down the check so I might as well buy an Android tablet to fiddle around with. I've narrowed it down to 3 tablets. Asus EeePad TF 201, Acer Iconia Tab A, and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.

I doubt I'll carry this new tablet with me (Sorry my PB has a way better OS... say what you want, the Android OS is messy.) This will most likely be a toy for my other half to play around with when bored. IIRC all 3 of these have some sort of support for add on storage so I'll probably buy the 16GB version. But what I'm not sure of is rooting. Is it going to be easier on one than another or is it going to be the same process and PITA between the 3. I really don't know which one to pick so I'm asking my fellow gerbils for input.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Employer buying us Tablets

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Get the Asus, without question. I'm not sure which Acer tab you're talking about though...need the rest of the model number.

The way the rooting stuff kinda works is something like this: The more popular the device the more people are going to develop, document, and discuss it. Asus also pushes out it's Android updates very quickly compared to those other companies. Samsung has yet to update the original 10.1 to ICS STILL. I think Asus had the ICS updated out mere days after it went live with the Galaxy Nexus. The screen on the Asus is probably the best out of those as well.

Having said all that, why not get the TF700 (TF Infinity)? It's supposed to be out here in a week or two.

edit: XDA has plenty of info/threads about the Prime. Many ROMs to choose from, including CM9.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdi ... a55&f=1414
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:33 pm

The Acer is the ICONIA TAB A Series A100-07u08w ( XE.H6RPN.006 ) as late listed on their website.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:40 pm

I'll second the Asus selection.. I love my Prime. If you want something a little different, you can order their new 7" with Jellybean.. I don't know how easy it will be root JB though, if that's what you want. Also, the 32GB version is only $250. All the reviews are raving about it, but if you need the ancillary storage, then go with the Prime + dock.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Where would be the cheapest place to buy?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Philldoe wrote:
Where would be the cheapest place to buy?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... ormer.html

edit: whoops, that's used.

e2: 479 from a reputable place - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-34230217
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:08 pm

I just noticed the TF300 is $100 cheaper and seems to have better hardware in it. ...why?

EDIT: Yeah, I see why. I think I'll be picking up the TF300 unless TR can convince me that the screen brightness and 100Mhz is really worth $100. I don't give a damn about metal/plastic. If this were going with me to work it would be an easy choice for the TF201, but this will be a household toy.

AntiSp4wn
Gerbil

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Depends what you're going to do with it exactly, but as it seems like a wasteful superfluous device if I were you I'd go with a high dpi display. The new Asus Infinity and the latest Acer Iconia both have 1080p screens (the only android tabs that currently do), so I would look to those first. In general Asus has produced the best android tablets, so I think your decision should be pretty easy.

It really might be worth considering if a Nexus 7 would do, it's a matter of preference but given that 7" tabs fit in your hand and are much lighter they offer a very difference use case than 10"--in many ways vastly improved, in other ways diminished. But, as you already have a larger playbook, it might make more sense for the device you get to be a 7". I think that would give you more versatility and overall enjoyment. Besides that the Nexus is only $200, so pocket $300 and get a device you might enjoy more. And at the core of it's experience the Nexus has the same processor as the $500 tabs you're considering, but with the improved experience of Android 4.1--who knows when the others will get that update. And the Nexus will get future updates first.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:41 pm

The playbook is a 7" tablet. And I agree that a 7" tab is preferable when packing around. I can slide my Playbook into my back pant pocket and the inner pocket of my jackets. I can't say enough good things about my Playbook, such an under-rated device. Anyway, I feel this Android tablet will be used for little else than games and just general screwing around. I know it won't leave the house much which is why I'm leaning toward a 10" tab.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Is there any reason you aren't getting an iPad? Especially if its just for fun. The cheapest one is $499 (though you'll only get 16gb of storage) which is within your price range.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:11 pm

kumori wrote:
Is there any reason you aren't getting an iPad? Especially if its just for fun. The cheapest one is $499 (though you'll only get 16gb of storage) which is within your price range.

Hehe.. The only reason I'll buy an Apple product is to smash it. Sorry to sound biased, but I hate Apple more than anything. I have little hate for Google, I just dislike the messiness of the Android UI. But I absolutely hate Apple.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:29 pm

Philldoe wrote:
Hehe.. The only reason I'll buy an Apple product is to smash it. Sorry to sound biased, but I hate Apple more than anything. I have little hate for Google, I just dislike the messiness of the Android UI. But I absolutely hate Apple.

I guess I understand. I used to hate all apple products. While, I was living in Japan I got an iPhone 3GS because it was one of the few phones that actually supported real English language input. I still use Windows desktops though . . .

Chaseme
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Ya I hate apple too, talked about how stupid iOS was for years the company was evil etc. Then I got an iPad...got rid of the POS Blackberry and got an iphone. Said I'd never, but just wanted something that worked.

Anyway Asus all the way if your looking into the Android world. Samsung is terrible for supporting there products, and the Acer is like the Kia of tablets.
This forum owns.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Chaseme wrote:
Ya I hate apple too, talked about how stupid iOS was for years the company was evil etc. Then I got an iPad...got rid of the POS Blackberry and got an iphone. Said I'd never, but just wanted something that worked.

Anyway Asus all the way if your looking into the Android world. Samsung is terrible for supporting there products, and the Acer is like the Kia of tablets.

To each their own. I've owned 3 BlackBerry's and have never had a single issue with any of them. Great OS layout, Great useful features. Pre OS7 phones I can understand the dislike toward because of the low end hardware, but that excuse can't be used anymore. OS7 phones have top notch ware in them. I love my Bold 9900.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:35 pm

Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

[SDG]Mantis
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:02 pm

I've got a ASUS TF300. Great device. I think that if I were buying a tablet now I might wait for the imminent release of the TF700. July 16 seems to be the US release date.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Just left staples with a TF300 for $340. Decent deal. Thanks for the quick help today guys.

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Same thing just happened to me at work - employer bought us Ipad 3s and I really wasn't too interested in it at all. I have an HP Touchpad 32GB tablet that is set up for my needs already with e-books and a few worthy apps like Zite and Appy News. I have my music and several movies copied to it, and none of that cost me a dime. I just have no interest in what the Ipad offers as its too tied into the App Store for me to want to deal with it.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:31 pm

Walkintarget wrote:
Same thing just happened to me at work - employer bought us Ipad 3s and I really wasn't too interested in it at all. I have an HP Touchpad 32GB tablet that is set up for my needs already with e-books and a few worthy apps like Zite and Appy News. I have my music and several movies copied to it, and none of that cost me a dime. I just have no interest in what the Ipad offers as its too tied into the App Store for me to want to deal with it.

I've tried to get my hands on a touchpad for a decent price. I really like WebOS. I'm also happy that a lot of WebOS apps are getting ported to the PB. Throw that on top of the android emulator and soon Brine(iOS emulator for Playbook) and I'm set for apps.

End User

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:37 pm

Walkintarget wrote:

DRM free ebooks, movies and music work just fine on the iPad. None of it needs to be sourced from the App Store.

kvndoom

Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:45 am

You can stream tunes from the phone to the Playbook? Wow, how is that done? I haven't explored mine a whole lot (mostly games and web surfing when away from home). Is it through the Bridge app?
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

trackerben

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:57 am

Differently stroked folks...

Guys buy an Android Tab and end up administrating it (Gadget)
People buy an iPad to just use it (Consumer)
Workers would buy a Surface to mainly work on it (Office)
Techies buy a Touchpad to mod it (Homebrew)

My phones are only, and only, for messaging/calls and hotspotting. I have enough stress dealing with work systems (PCs and Androids), to the point that I bring out my ultraportable only when it's needed. For balance, I lovingly mess around with my home desktops. And just easily enjoy my iPad day and night.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:50 pm

kvndoom wrote:
You can stream tunes from the phone to the Playbook? Wow, how is that done? I haven't explored mine a whole lot (mostly games and web surfing when away from home). Is it through the Bridge app?

All you need is the Blackberry Bridge app. This allows you to connect the Phone and Playbook together. This is one of the biggest selling points of the Playbook. When bridged you can access files on the phone from the PB as well as emails,BBM, Calendar, Contacts ect. My fav thing about it is I can use my phone as a modem for the PB when I'm away from a Wifi connection (All of this runs through bluetooth and is free unlike wifi hotspot). Now I am running an older Leaked Beta OS on my 9900 which has .cod files that do not report you are using the phone as a hotspot so I basicly get free hotspot for my phone, but I still use bridge as it's also free and give me more connectivity and freedom with the phone vs hotspot). kvndoom, if you have ANY questions about your PB or BB phone just PM me. I can answer all of your questions :)

Pardon the sloppy post. I'm about to leave work

David

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:19 pm

The Playbook OS is fantastic. If RIM ever puts out a decent 4+ inch non-keyboard phone with that OS I'll buy it day one. Hell, I'll pre-order it.

Also, the Prime is a great tablet. My wife has a TF 201 because her school's wifi doesn't support Blackberry devices, and until the Nexus 7 is out all of the 7" android tablets are crap.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:22 pm

David wrote:
The Playbook OS is fantastic. If RIM ever puts out a decent 4+ inch non-keyboard phone with that OS I'll buy it day one. Hell, I'll pre-order it.

Also, the Prime is a great tablet. My wife has a TF 201 because her school's wifi doesn't support Blackberry devices, and until the Nexus 7 is out all of the 7" android tablets are crap.

RIM stated they will release the all touch BB10 phone in Q1 2013 with. Keyboarded version for folks like me coming shortly after. You will get your wish :)

EDIT: Look up BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:00 pm

Sorry for the double post, but now that I have had a chance to get a feel for this tablet I'm interested in rooting it. At first I had no intention of doing so because I was not going to gain anything useful, but frankly the google services running on it (Google+) are a waste of space and I hate apps that require location services. Now I've seen a lot of FAQ's to get started on rooting, but I want to hear it from people (and a website) that I actually trust. What tools do you use, what firmware do you think is best suited to be on my tablet?