Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sennheiser HD280 headphones

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:41 pm

I'd been putting off a headphone upgrade since forever. This week an old-yet-passable pair of Sonys I had been using for gaming and occasional music finally broke at an unrepairable point, which forced my hand. I don't mic while gaming, and I simply don't have HD555 money (or rather, I've got too many competing uses) so the HD280s seemed like a good fit.

They arrived today, and now I'm listening to them using a DIY Class A headphone amp that I built a few years back. Wow! I should have done this a long time ago. They're very comfortable over my head and don't bungle my glasses, and compared to the old set (which was closed-back but not very isolating) it seems like the soundstage is located naturally around my head, rather than crammed into my ears.

Anyone else used/using the HD280s in particular, and how did they compare to your previous or current setup?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Sennheiser HD280 headphones

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:46 am

I used to have this model few years ago. Good sound quality (from what I can remember), very good build quality, very comfortable over long periods of time and have excellent passive noise attenuation - I used to take them on all long-haul flights when I used to travel a lot by plane. Not sure how they compare to other similar models - I never tried to directly compare them to anything else and I got rid of them after I lost the need to use any kind of headphones...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

AbRASiON

Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:12 am

Hang on, I thought the 555's were classed as the cheap end of the good ones from Sennheiser? I'm sure I've seen deals with them under 100$ or something?
Mine are 8 years old and still fantastic.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:08 am

AbRASiON wrote:
Hang on, I thought the 555's were classed as the cheap end of the good ones from Sennheiser? I'm sure I've seen deals with them under 100$ or something?

Maybe you saw another set for under 100. The 555's retail for 200 still.

I have a pair of HD485's that I've had for like...7 years now, and they're still pretty decent headphones. Obviously a closed set isn't going to sound quite as good as a decent open set, but there is a reason those 280's are so popular. They're a really good closed headphone for 100 bucks. I've been contemplating getting some M50's, but I've had such good luck with Senn and since I don't know anyone with a set of M50's it's hard for me to just pull the trigger.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:17 am

I've got a pair and I love them, especially paired with my sound card (see sig below; I got it refurbed at Newegg for about 50% off).
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 am

HD 280 Pro's... I've had a pair since about 1999 or 2000 maybe? Love them. Best headphones I ever had.

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:18 am

I've had a pair of these for many years and love them. You'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding headphone for the price, especially if you want some noise cancelling ability. There are definitely better sounding headphones, but they tend to cost a lot more. As with all headphones it's somewhat subjective though. Certain people prefer certain sonic signatures, although a lot of it can be EQ'd anyway if you know what you prefer.

I also like how you can order replacement parts from Sennheiser (or various online stores). After years of use the earpads were getting pretty stiff/unpadded, but for about $20 I got new earpads and they feel as good as new.

I do prefer the sound of speakers to headphones generally, but you also end up paying a lot more money for a given sound quality. The room filling ambiance of speakers is just something headphones can't ever truly replicate. Of course there are a lot of cases where speakers aren't ideal though, such as in an environment with a lot of background noise, not wanting to wake the neighbors, not wanting feedback on a microphone (although this one can largely be mitigated with a directional mic), etc
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:55 am

You can find the 555s for $70 during a sale, and there's a simple mod to convert them to the 595s.

I had the 280s for around 5 years and I loved them as well. They are quite tight on the head and I had to stretch it out over a box. They responded to EQing really well and the noise cancellation helps to make them sound better. Have you heard of the tack-mod? It really improves the impact of the lower end.

I'm surprised you enjoyed them right out of the box. It's usually really bright sounding and requires a lot of time before they sound their best.

I've moved up to the ultrasone 780 though. They sound much more open, but they can't take as input current as they 280s.

I just checked prices. Holy batman artificial inflation.
Trump 2020

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:22 pm

I was never impressed by the HD555 or HD595, I assume that carriers over to the HD558 and HD598 but I haven't listened to those yet. They didn't fit the Sennheiser sound that I greatly enjoy with the HD580, HD600, and HD650. Best I could describe the HD555 and HD595 was accurate but very brittle. Where the HD580, HD600, and HD650 sound warm, lush and maintain or surpass that detail level. Even for other $200 to $250 headphones there a lot of better choices than the HD558 or HD598 out there.

The HD280 on the other hand I consider a classic. It's been a good to great value for a very long time. Tremendous all around headphone for the price. It does just about everything right (except for a coiled cord ugh).

Personally I'm sticking to my Denon AH-D2000 until they break. My favorite all around headphone I've had the pleasure of owning. If you really want to hear high end headphones I highly recommend going to a Head-Fi meet if one comes near you. $1000+ headphones are an awesome experience even if not something I'd be willing to buy. These days I'm contemplating a speaker system. I finally have the long term living arrangements to make it possible.

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Washer wrote:
I was never impressed by the HD555 or HD595, I assume that carriers over to the HD558 and HD598 but I haven't listened to those yet. They didn't fit the Sennheiser sound that I greatly enjoy with the HD580, HD600, and HD650. Best I could describe the HD555 and HD595 was accurate but very brittle. Where the HD580, HD600, and HD650 sound warm, lush and maintain or surpass that detail level. Even for other $200 to $250 headphones there a lot of better choices than the HD558 or HD598 out there.

The HD280 on the other hand I consider a classic. It's been a good to great value for a very long time. Tremendous all around headphone for the price. It does just about everything right (except for a coiled cord ugh).

Personally I'm sticking to my Denon AH-D2000 until they break. My favorite all around headphone I've had the pleasure of owning. If you really want to hear high end headphones I highly recommend going to a Head-Fi meet if one comes near you. $1000+ headphones are an awesome experience even if not something I'd be willing to buy. These days I'm contemplating a speaker system. I finally have the long term living arrangements to make it possible.

I agree about the 558. I bought a pair last year for $120 and sold them 2 weeks later. They just sounded weak.
I've been yerning to obtain my own pair of HD650s since I got into audio back when I was in middle school. They've just always been out of my price range :/

How do you like the D2000s? I was stuck between the hfi-780 and the d2000, but went with the hfi-780 cause they were supposed to be better with electronic music. They are fantastic, but I always wonder what could have been :roll:
Trump 2020

BloodSoul
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:00 pm

DancinJack wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:

Maybe you saw another set for under 100. The 555's retail for 200 still.

I have a pair of HD485's that I've had for like...7 years now, and they're still pretty decent headphones. Obviously a closed set isn't going to sound quite as good as a decent open set, but there is a reason those 280's are so popular. They're a really good closed headphone for 100 bucks. I've been contemplating getting some M50's, but I've had such good luck with Senn and since I don't know anyone with a set of M50's it's hard for me to just pull the trigger.

I've got a pair of ATH-m50's and I can't recommend them more. They are phenomenal, you just have to watch out for counterfeits.

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:55 pm

chµck wrote:
I agree about the 558. I bought a pair last year for $120 and sold them 2 weeks later. They just sounded weak.
I've been yerning to obtain my own pair of HD650s since I got into audio back when I was in middle school. They've just always been out of my price range :/

How do you like the D2000s? I was stuck between the hfi-780 and the d2000, but went with the hfi-780 cause they were supposed to be better with electronic music. They are fantastic, but I always wonder what could have been :roll:

I love the D2000. The bass extends down deep and can rumble your guts and the highs are incredibly crisp and clear. They fit what I want from a headphone near perfectly. The only headphone I desire now is the D7000. I don't have much experience with Ultrasone headphones, I briefly owned a pair of HFi 550 but sold them quickly because I found the cups uncomfortable on my larger ears. I have a feeling the HFi 780 are probably more driving and forward sounding than the D2000 though, which I imagine is a great trait for electronic music.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:44 pm

The Sennheiser HD280s are a good choice.

I've got Sennheiser HD430 and HD580 headphones.

arsenhazzard
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:28 am

chµck wrote:
They responded to EQing really well and the noise cancellation helps to make them sound better.

I'd go so far as to say EQ is required, otherwise they come off sounding incredibly flat and boring. Because of the isolation, they're my go-to headphones for large/loud LANs but I still prefer the sound of most other cans.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:15 am

I have had the HD280's for about 3 years now and I still use them 6-8 hours everyday, and they do not dissapoint sound wise especially when you get a dedicated DAC. They have not broken down other than small signs of wear and tear either. I have nothing but great things to say for it and although they don't technically have noise cancelling ability, when I wear them on a plane I do not have to crank the volume to hear the music I am listening to. Enjoy, ludi.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:45 am

After three weeks with the headphones, I think "a little bright" is an accurate judgment which is corroborated by Sennheiser's claimed frequency response -- the 'phones apparently lose about 2dB going into the range of human voice, gain about 1dB around 1-2kHz, then fall off almost 3dB by about 5kHz before recovering sharply above 10kHz. That bump around 1-2kHz and following drop are definitely audible, but not offensively so. I put a very slight EQ bump in Winamp at 310, 600, 3000, and 6000Hz, and that fixed a couple minor deficiencies in the vocals and the high hat. Otherwise, everything is there and very clear.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:21 am

I went from a pair of Behringer HPS3000 to the HD-280 Pro, and the difference is night and day. I still use the Behringers for tracking because they isolate sound a little better (less click tracks in vocal recordings) but the Sennheisers have the better sound. There's a bit of a smile in the curve (slightly exaggerated highs and lows) but they feel great even for long sessions and the sound is great. The set before the Behringers was another Sennheiser set, e250. They were like $40 and sounded fine, but they didn't go over the ear; they sit up on my ear and would put the squeeze on my enormous brain after a while.

I'm just using the headphone pre-amp built into a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, not any sort of external pre-amp, and I'm very happy with the results. Plenty of volume - I usually have them set at around half-way on the dial. Turning it up all the way is enough to make my ears hurt (and a headache soon to follow). I would love to get a pair of 650s for mixing but I don't have $500 to blow. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Not to necro an old thread, but I have been eyeing one of these.

I am doing a lots of flying lately and want a set of closed headphones to help reduce the noise (in the $115 range). I see the impedance is quite high. Has anyone used these for traveling? Do you still get decent volume from them? Would a mobile phone work satisfactory?
Longest flight is 14-15hrs, so hope they are comfortable?
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

paulschoff
Gerbil In Training

Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:20 am

The HD280 sound flat, may not be suitable and rock and hip-hop. The headphones are comfortable, while I wear it on in my studio. They do cancel plenty of ambient noise. Nothing outstanding with regards to isolation.

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:35 am

I got a HD 363D on clearance sale for AUD$250.
Been loving them for the past 3 years. Unfortunately the mic got caught in something and I pulled on it snapping it off cleanly. However some superglue and 5 minutes later its still working as good as new. :)
Intel i7 4790K
MAXIMUS VII RANGER motherboard
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

vikas.sm
Gerbil In Training

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:51 am

I tried the HD280 before purchasing an HD380 pro. Much more comfortable, especially for long flights. Lesser clamping pressure. Sound quality is pretty much the same. Both the HD280 and HD380 and others in its class are sold as 'reference' headphones, they don't sound bassy at all. (They don't LACK bass, they just play flat without over-enhancing any frequencies)
Make sure you try one of them and use an EQ generously to get the sound you want.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:25 pm

anotherengineer wrote:

I am doing a lots of flying lately and want a set of closed headphones to help reduce the noise (in the $115 range). I see the impedance is quite high. Has anyone used these for traveling? Do you still get decent volume from them? Would a mobile phone work satisfactory?

Just connected mine (which are still doing great at the 5-year mark) to my Nexus 5X to see how well it works. Short answer: pretty well, but as noted by others, not strong on the low-end. And I wouldn't wear them for several hours.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:33 am

anotherengineer wrote:

Lots of flying? In the 14-15 hour range? If that's the case, it might be worth considering a true noise cancelling model. Those are going to be in the $300+ price range, but they would likely offer a more comfortable experience.

Otherwise, you might check out InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame for alternatives. I would see no personal problem using the ATH-M50x. I have the original M50, and it does a really good job. My ears do/did get quite warm after a while, but they are still quite comfortable and offer some isolation.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:05 am

superjawes wrote:
Otherwise, you might check out InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame for alternatives. I would see no personal problem using the ATH-M50x. I have the original M50, and it does a really good job. My ears do/did get quite warm after a while, but they are still quite comfortable and offer some isolation.

I note they have the HD202 on their list. If those are like the slightly older HD201S (of which I have two pairs), they're very comfortable for long-term listening and have punchier bass than the HD280s, while being cheap enough that you won't have a heart attack if they get forgotten on a plane. The noise isolation is not so great, though.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:39 am

superjawes wrote:
Otherwise, you might check out InnerFidelity's Wall of Fame for alternatives.

Ahh, interesting... the Sennheiser PX-100-II is #2 on their "On-Ear Open" WOF. These (and the PX-100 before them) have been my "go-to" headphones for many years, for environments that don't require noise isolation. Great sounding, affordable, efficient enough that pretty much anything can drive them, comfortable, foldable, and easy-to-replace (and easy to obtain) ear pads.

Their closed-back siblings the PX-200-II, OTOH, have very dissapointing bass response. Still looking for a viable alternative to those for when I ride the train in to work or fly.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SoM
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:44 pm

my HD280's finally died today, right side is gone, i'll fix them when i do the jack mod, i'm looking at these... HD 598 Cs and Audio Technica M50x

Win 10
InWin 303
Asus z170a
i7-6700k - H60
G.Skill 2x16GB 2400
M.2 950 Pro 256GB
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
EVGA Supernova G2 750w
Acer XG270HU
HD 280pro

ColeLT1
Gerbil First Class

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Got some HD280 on sale back in 2010, they have aged very well, finally replaced the top pad and the 2 ear pads this past year. If I would not have looked them up I would have never guessed they were 7 years old!
Main: [email protected] 1.25v/16GB DDR4-3600 15-15-15-35/RTX2080/500gb 970evox2/Custom Waterloop/Corsair 570x/AX1200i
Server: [email protected] 1.35v/16GB DDR4-3600 16-16-16-36/GTX1050ti/500gb 960evo/WD RED 6TBx2/Hyper212LED/Corsair 800d/RM850

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm almost due for another set of ear pads for my truly venerable Sennheiser HD430 headphones. (How old is 32 in high-end audio years?) I'm currently using them for PC gaming and late-night music/video on the PC. They're quite comfortable. I have a slightly-less-aged set of HD580 headphones that I use for more serious music listening from DVD-Audio.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2