Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Affordable Good PC Sniper Game Please

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:55 pm

I just played the demo for sniper elite v2 and I liked it but just not enough to fork over $50 when it will probably sell for $30 next month. Can any of you guys recommend a good sniper game that is already discounted?

Also, please suggest some discounted games that are similar to Call of Duty, Crysis, Singularity, Serious Sam BFE,Batman arkham assuylam,city. ...... I guess you get the point, I want a good game but don't want to pay $50 or more for it. $30 or less if the game is less than 18 months old but preferably under $15 (nothing over 3 yrs old please).

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Affordable Good PC Sniper Game Please

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:03 am

Just wait for Steam summer sale... It should start somewhere this month.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:27 am

I found the shooting mechanics in Borderlands really satisfying, and that goes for the sniping as well. There's a ridiculous number of weapons to keep you busy too with all sorts of strengths/weaknesses. It's a really good game too, one of the few recent single player games that I've actually wanted to replay.

If you want some more realistic sniping (with bullet drop and travel times) then BF3, STALKER series, or ARMA2 would probably suit your needs. BF3 is probably stretching the limits of that $30 though (regular price is $40), unless you catch one of the periodic sales. To be honest I'd buy BF3 for $50 before I'd buy Sniper Elite for $20 though. :P
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:00 am

travbrad wrote:
I found the shooting mechanics in Borderlands really satisfying, and that goes for the sniping as well. There's a ridiculous number of weapons to keep you busy too with all sorts of strengths/weaknesses. It's a really good game too, one of the few recent single player games that I've actually wanted to replay.

Seconded. If you want an FPS that's fun to shoot sniper rifles in (that is, not a sim but a game), you can't do much better than Borderlands (even though it's an FPS/RPG hybrid). The Fallout and Mass Effect games are relatively good as well.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:10 am

I'll second ARMA II and then go install the Day Z mod. Sniping in Day Z is a bit of a luxury and has plenty of its own dangers but its super intense. Just find a group to roam with, take turns being a sniper or a spotter, good times. :)

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:28 am

drfish wrote:
Day Z mod.

I wouldn't really consider "DayZ" as a "sniper game", especially a "good" one :wink: Sure, once you get a sniper rifle (and a rangefinder) it can be fun shooting stuff, BUT finding it can be very annoying most of the time - new players spawn without any weapons nowadays, plus it takes some time to find a good non-laggy server, plus you can easily get shot by other players who already found good weapons or who simply used cheats to "spawn" everything from good weapons to an airstrike on top of your head (yes, the cheaters can be perma-banned but I still see plenty of them on most of the servers).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:02 am

I liked Sniper:Ghost Warrior enough to play through the whole thing, but I got it for under $10. It's currently $20 and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it at that price, and even at <$10 only with some caveats. It's not the most impressive looking, and definitely not a "realism" game, but it's entertaining. Took about 8 hours to complete, and there isn't a lot of replay value in my mind, although I never tried the multiplayer.

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:36 am

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I have Arma 2 but was not impressed. I will give it a second try. Borderlands got a little frustrating and I gave up about 3/4 of the way through. Any other suggestions?

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:35 am

I liked the Sniping in Day of Defeat Source and Red Orchestra 2 quite a bit. Not amazingly realistic but fun.

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:04 am

matdem1 wrote:
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I have Arma 2 but was not impressed. I will give it a second try. Borderlands got a little frustrating and I gave up about 3/4 of the way through. Any other suggestions?

I have Arma 2 also and was not impressed. I tried to like it, honest! Just wasn't happening. Tribes Ascend has a "sniper" class, and it's free to play, although I believe you have to unlock that class through experience. Might be worth a try, especially if you have more time than money! I played the original Tribes and a lot of Tribes 2, so I played Tribes Ascend as well. The problem I see with free to play is that nobody's really invested in the game so there's very little teamwork, but for a sniper that might be an advantage.

Vinceant
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:58 pm

The Hunter. That is, if you weren't looking for something with only humans for targets.

I am really mostly joking, if you couldn't tell.
Vae victus.

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:31 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
travbrad wrote:

Seconded. If you want an FPS that's fun to shoot sniper rifles in (that is, not a sim but a game), you can't do much better than Borderlands (even though it's an FPS/RPG hybrid). The Fallout and Mass Effect games are relatively good as well.

Exactly what he said. Borderlands 2 is out in September, so start saving up.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

Myrmecophagavir
Gerbil

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:15 am

matdem1 wrote:
I just played the demo for sniper elite v2 and I liked it but just not enough to fork over $50 when it will probably sell for $30 next month. Can any of you guys recommend a good sniper game that is already discounted?

It's $15 on the Amazon.com download store at the moment. Or you could always get the original through Steam, but that shoots way past your three-year limit :wink:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Myrmecophagavir wrote:
matdem1 wrote:

It's $15 on the Amazon.com download store at the moment. Or you could always get the original through Steam, but that shoots way past your three-year limit :wink:

Yea... $15 for Amazon's version, and Steam has started their sale today too so it's only $33 on Steam now...

Klanky
Gerbil

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:05 pm

I've got the Snipe: Ghost Warrior and some DLC for it that I won during Steam's holiday sale. I'd be willing to trade if you'd like because I'll never play it. Send me a PM if you want my Steam username.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Gigabyte GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC
120 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Gigabyte B450 Aorus-M
NZXT H510
16 GB Ballistix DD4 3200

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Klanky wrote:
I've got the Snipe: Ghost Warrior and some DLC for it that I won during Steam's holiday sale. I'd be willing to trade if you'd like because I'll never play it. Send me a PM if you want my Steam username.

Take that trade, or even buy it. I really enjoyed it having played through much of Sniper Elite 1 (frustrating as hell but the bullet-time headshots were GREAT). It had better mechanics, graphics, and story. The difficulty settings made it worth playing a second time.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

Myrmecophagavir
Gerbil

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:46 pm

JohnC wrote:
Yea... $15 for Amazon's version, and Steam has started their sale today too so it's only $33 on Steam now...

Well, you just get a Steam code from Amazon apparently, so it's exactly the same. Haven't tried it myself though.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 pm

teehee, Steam's servers are getting hammered. The Store page doesn't work for me half the time.

C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:06 pm

travbrad wrote:
If you want some more realistic sniping (with bullet drop and travel times) then BF3, STALKER series, or ARMA2 would probably suit your needs. BF3 is probably stretching the limits of that $30 though (regular price is $40), unless you catch one of the periodic sales. To be honest I'd buy BF3 for $50 before I'd buy Sniper Elite for $20 though. :P

BF3 sniping is a stupid joke, period. Best pathetic attempt they had at balancing the sniping was to completely strip down the recon kit beyond usefulness and then add the glint that lets anyone shoot randomly in your general direction to kill you, even if their vision is completely obscured with smoke and debris. In an APC and can't see anyone through all the dust/smoke that gathers up? If any one of those guys is carrying an 8x scope, just fire a round or two in that general direction and you get a free kill. Not to mention, it makes sniper-to-sniper battles horrible when your team is stuck at a spawn point. (i.e. RU spawn on Metro.)

BF2, BC2, and CoD4 did it all better in terms of gameplay mechanics, although they do lack the intensive, skill-requiring bullet dropoff simulated in BF3. It's unfortunate that they had to ruin BF3 sniping with something that simple.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:46 am

From one that plays a whole lot of recon in BF3, the problem with that class is not the glint, it's the fact that the very usefull support actions when played as a proper team, doesnt provide points enough to make it usefull as a class. The glint was needed because of the prone-camping that was prevalent in BF2. BC2 never had prone, so it wasnt as much of an issue. But it might be a bit too high at times, and its seriously stupid it's shown through smoke and in the dark, but it's not that much of a problem when playing recon as long as you know you have glare as soon as you ADS.

Otherwise, there isnt many good other games that incorporate both bullet travel time and fall without being a "pure" sniper game and not much else.

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:32 am

Hopefully you get this in time; Sniper Elite V2 is on sale for the next 4 hours for half price on Steam.