Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Re: What are you driving RIGHT NOW?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:14 pm

ludi wrote:
ShadowEyez wrote:
But in real life my ride is something a little more normal.

Pics, or it didn't happen might be a tricycle! :P

Hey, don't dis my trike (or my toyota camry, which gets good gas mileage...)
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:52 pm

There will be no trike dissing around these parts!

That's my other ride, a 2011 TerraTrike Path 8. 8-speed planetary manual gearbox in the rear wheel, and a 2-leg engine. A pretty weak and fat engine, who's too much of a wuss to ride it to work when it's 90-100 F out. :P

Still, when I do ride it, I usually average around 12 mph.

Fun fact, when the roads are icy, you can actually drift it. This is ridiculously fun. :D

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:57 pm

ShadowEyez wrote:
If I were a lottery winner, I'd go with something like this:

I wouldn't buy it even if I won $100 millions in lottery - absolutely useless car if you live in certain parts of USA (good luck driving it on pothole-ridden city streets or on highways with 65 mph legal speed limit), unless the only reason you'll be buying it is to focus other people's attention on this car instead of your tiny penis or deficient intellect or old, flabby body :wink: Of course, if I would be living in Germany I might actually consider something like that ;-)
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

ShadowEyez
Gerbil XP

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:36 pm

JohnC wrote:
ShadowEyez wrote:

I wouldn't buy it even if I won $100 millions in lottery - absolutely useless car if you live in certain parts of USA (good luck driving it on pothole-ridden city streets or on highways with 65 mph legal speed limit), unless the only reason you'll be buying it is to focus other people's attention on this car instead of your tiny penis or deficient intellect or old, flabby body :wink: Of course, if I would be living in Germany I might actually consider something like that ;-)

The only place one can drive this is on a specialty track. You'd be insane to drive this on public roadways. However, on a track, it'd sure be a blast :-)
The finest tools are forged from the hottest fires

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:21 pm

You can drive it on public roadways, just not in top speed mode. One of the design goals was that it would be as easy to drive on the street as a Golf.

(Even a derestricted section of autobahn is too rough, far too unsafe to run this thing in top speed mode.)

Honestly, as far as supercars go, I think my favorite is the Gallardo. Out there looks, a decent AWD system to make it easier to drive, awesome V10 sound (nothing sounds like a V10, and the I5/V10 sound is one of my favorite), yet Audi build quality (for those that think this is a bad thing, we're talking about an Italian car here), reasonably sized (so you could actually drive it on public roads reasonably, unlike, say, the Murcielago or Aventador), and parts are surprisingly cheap (like Volkswagen cheap, which isn't cheap, but when you're talking about an exotic, it's damn cheap). Oh, and it's not a Ferrari, a marque I can never respect after reading this.

The problem is, though, the entire supercar genre isn't really what I want. Way too much power to thrash on the streets, and too much emphasis on the image. Nothing wrong with having a nice place to sit in your ultra-fast car, but... it's not for me, really.

I'd rather have a cheap little slow 4 or 5-cyl RWD hatch, coupe, or convertible. (5 mainly because of the noise. Nothing I know has it stock, but swaps can be done... I've got a harebrained idea involving the C2 Audi 5000's 2.0 5-cyl turbodiesel, the head from a Canadian-market VW Eurovan 2.4 5-cyl non-turbo diesel (better flowing), the injection system from a European market 2.5 TDI, and a Porsche 924. Could probably get 150 hp without too much trouble, and with compound turbos, could probably get to 225 hp or so pretty easily, it'd sound pretty good, and the Audi 5-cyls into a 924 aren't that bad of a swap (as the original 924 engine was an old, abandoned Audi engine that shares a bellhousing pattern with the Audi 5-cyls). Oh, and it'd probably get 40 mpg when treated nicely.) The other thing is, simply, the cleanest Porsche 912E I can find, and leave it alone except maybe updating the fuel injection to Megasquirt.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:41 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
You can drive it on public roadways, just not in top speed mode. One of the design goals was that it would be as easy to drive on the street as a Golf.

(Even a derestricted section of autobahn is too rough, far too unsafe to run this thing in top speed mode.)

Honestly, as far as supercars go, I think my favorite is the Gallardo. Out there looks, a decent AWD system to make it easier to drive, awesome V10 sound (nothing sounds like a V10, and the I5/V10 sound is one of my favorite), yet Audi build quality (for those that think this is a bad thing, we're talking about an Italian car here), reasonably sized (so you could actually drive it on public roads reasonably, unlike, say, the Murcielago or Aventador), and parts are surprisingly cheap (like Volkswagen cheap, which isn't cheap, but when you're talking about an exotic, it's damn cheap). Oh, and it's not a Ferrari, a marque I can never respect after reading this.

The problem is, though, the entire supercar genre isn't really what I want. Way too much power to thrash on the streets, and too much emphasis on the image. Nothing wrong with having a nice place to sit in your ultra-fast car, but... it's not for me, really.

I'd rather have a cheap little slow 4 or 5-cyl RWD hatch, coupe, or convertible. (5 mainly because of the noise. Nothing I know has it stock, but swaps can be done... I've got a harebrained idea involving the C2 Audi 5000's 2.0 5-cyl turbodiesel, the head from a Canadian-market VW Eurovan 2.4 5-cyl non-turbo diesel (better flowing), the injection system from a European market 2.5 TDI, and a Porsche 924. Could probably get 150 hp without too much trouble, and with compound turbos, could probably get to 225 hp or so pretty easily, it'd sound pretty good, and the Audi 5-cyls into a 924 aren't that bad of a swap (as the original 924 engine was an old, abandoned Audi engine that shares a bellhousing pattern with the Audi 5-cyls). Oh, and it'd probably get 40 mpg when treated nicely.) The other thing is, simply, the cleanest Porsche 912E I can find, and leave it alone except maybe updating the fuel injection to Megasquirt.

How fast are those Porches? My Mark VIII does about 140 with nothing. A 100,000 mile car although the 4.6 has only about 70,000 on it. I am building it to humiliate Porches and I expect close to 180 when she is done. Interestingly the stock 93 Mark VIII, blueprinted and with a bit of streamlining, mirror removal really, did 172 at Bonneville when they first came out.

My last project was built to humiliate 5 liter Fords and my 69 Cutlass, with poor paint and no appearance work at all, dumped about 580 ft/lbs into the road at 75 mph when I slammed it into second. They would usually give up right away.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:50 pm

The trick is that the 924 was never supposed to be a Porsche, it was supposed to be a VW.

There were multiple models of 924, too. Early North American ones had 95 hp, then 110 hp for later ones, using an Audi 2.0 l 4-cylinder engine (which is a real oddball - it's only really found in C1 Audi 100s, VW LT trucks (in Europe), AMC Gremlins, and the Jeep DJ-5G). There were also turbos with plenty more power, and a later 924S with a detuned 944 engine (and IIRC similar power to the 924 Turbo). That one could do 130 mph (meaning the early 2.0 l non-turbo ones couldn't). But, also, that car wasn't about speed, it was about handling.

Similarly, the 912E is also not about top speed, maxing out at about 110 mph with its 90 hp. But, they handled BETTER than the 911 it was based on, because they had less engine in the back end. (A VW Type 4 2.0 l engine, to be exact, in that one. Essentially, they took the base model 911 that wasn't sold here in 1976, grabbed some VW Type 4 engines left over from the 914, and sold it as the 912E to replace the 914, until the 924 came out. One year only.)

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:58 pm

ShadowEyez wrote:
JohnC wrote:
ShadowEyez wrote:

You'd be insane to drive this on public roadways.

Heh, you'd be surprised... I've seen plenty of local guidos (and other "white trash" with more $$$ than brains) showing off their Lambos and Ferraris on our local pothole-ridden city streets (especially when the weather gets very warm). Always funny watching them revving up the engines while standing still during the red traffic light, seeing them speeding up and then catching up with them on next traffic light, or seeing them constantly trying to avoid (or trying to slow down before hitting them) all the bumps and dips in the road surface :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:11 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
The trick is that the 924 was never supposed to be a Porsche, it was supposed to be a VW.

There were multiple models of 924, too. Early North American ones had 95 hp, then 110 hp for later ones, using an Audi 2.0 l 4-cylinder engine (which is a real oddball - it's only really found in C1 Audi 100s, VW LT trucks (in Europe), AMC Gremlins, and the Jeep DJ-5G). There were also turbos with plenty more power, and a later 924S with a detuned 944 engine (and IIRC similar power to the 924 Turbo). That one could do 130 mph (meaning the early 2.0 l non-turbo ones couldn't). But, also, that car wasn't about speed, it was about handling.

Similarly, the 912E is also not about top speed, maxing out at about 110 mph with its 90 hp. But, they handled BETTER than the 911 it was based on, because they had less engine in the back end. (A VW Type 4 2.0 l engine, to be exact, in that one. Essentially, they took the base model 911 that wasn't sold here in 1976, grabbed some VW Type 4 engines left over from the 914, and sold it as the 912E to replace the 914, until the 924 came out. One year only.)

One of the few cars that gave my 502 Cutlass any problem at all was a black Porsche. I was slightly stronger but boy that car was fast. If we had gotten out in the open, too much traffic, I think it would have walked away. The Cutlass was pretty much limited to about 145, it would leave the ground then, not a good feeling. ;)

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:41 am

I saw the latest model Chevrolet Silverado Z71 coming home from work today, it was huge :o.

Guy must have been rich, had 4x Hella Predator spotlights on the front ($1200 each), and the car itself here costs about $135,000 new.

Thatguy
Gerbil

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:28 pm

kvndoom wrote:
Thatguy wrote:
2002 Saturn sl. Yes the really cheap one. It's paid for and does great on gas, so i love it. Minimal maintenance other than replacing the clutch at 70k.I'm thinking the previous owner was either a horrible driver or rough on it.

When it's nice out and i finally got my new tires on i drive a 2007 Ninja 650r. Shiny red! Maybe I'll find some pics and add them later.

That's hilarious... I had one of those too, when Saturn was closing out the model to make room for the (failed) Ion. Got 0% APR on the loan. It was an SL, only 2 options- air conditioning and a CD player! Manual windows, no cruise control, no nothing but a 5-speed stick and a CD player.

But it was great on gas! 40 highway easily, and it was a comfy drive. Funniest thing about it was that the SL just didn't exist. When trying to get insurance, or anything else, no one had it in their databases, only the SL1 or SL2!

Yep air and just a basic radio in this one. I haven't see 40 in a while because of all the traffic and city driving i do. The 5 speed is the ONLY way i could ever drive this thing 100hp doesn't get you anywhere fast you need the gear selection to manage all those ponies :D I believe they are just sl1 or sl2 based on the motor 1 is the 1.9L SOHC (mine) and the sl2 was the 1.9L DOHC? It also got an ugly reflective crappy thing across the middle of the trunk. Basic cheap reliable transportation, perfect car for A-B trips.

Bike - http://tinyurl.com/9g75h7s
Seen nearly 60mpg, 59.996 is the highest clocked so far, plenty fast for me.
Athlon II x4 630 (3.5)|MSI 890gxm-g65|12gb ddr3-1333|Corsair cx400w|Dell U2312HM|MSI 7850|Force gt 120gb| Realtek intergrated goodness

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:35 am

Pics of my Focus if I haven't put them up already:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:47 pm

This thread needs a bump... Let's do it with my new toy. Still has temp plates :wink:

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:05 pm

JohnC wrote:
This thread needs a bump... Let's do it with my new toy.

Engine/trans?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:17 pm

End User wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Engine/trans?

Strange question :wink: There's only one transmission: 7-speed MCT auto. And engine is stock, without Development Package - 6.3L V8 detuned to 451 hp.

Here is the vid about tranny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVBmUNqs30g

And the engine itself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XiHMFxs0PA
Last edited by JohnC on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voldenuit

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Voldenuit wrote:

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart.

Currently stock. Going to install a Stage 0 after I run in the engine some more.

Saw this thread pop up again and thought I should post an update.

Wife got me a Tactrix Openport cable adapter last xmas, so I flashed the ECU on the Ralliart with GST's basemap. Together with a boost pill ($20), this took me from 235 hp to about 277 hp, and from 253 lb-ft torque to around 283 lb-ft. Also raised the redline from 6300 rpm to around 7000. There's a lot more grunt in the midrange, and the car is more driveable and responsive. Not a bad upgrade for cheap, and the fuel economy hasn't budged with the added power.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

End User

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

JohnC wrote:
End User wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Engine/trans?

Strange question :wink: There's only one transmission: 7-speed MCT auto. And engine is stock, without Development Package - 6.3L V8 detuned to 451 hp.

It could have been a C 180 with a turbo 4 and a 6-speed manual.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:25 pm

:D True, some people do that (one look at MBWorld's forums is enough) - slap the AMG bumper, badges, rear diffuser and exhaust tips on their C250/300/350... I don't :wink:

Edit: Lemme add a few more pix:

No replacement for displacement! Screw all that "forced induction" nonsense! :wink:

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:58 pm

My Lincoln:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am

The Mark VIII was a good looking car for its day. Looks pretty dated now, but not offensive.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:58 pm

I personally preferred the looks of Mark VII - more "angular", with more pronounced "spare wheel hump" on the trunk... But both of them were pretty good models - filled with lots of options, with "luxury" interiors and comfortable air suspension (which felt great during long highway "cruises" or on our local pothole-ridden streets). Too bad Ford quit making such large luxury cars...

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Let's do another bump with pics of another new (old?) toy - 1966 Chrysler 300:

I'm sure some old farts will appreciate the beauty of "classical" American car design :wink: Oh, and sorry for overexposed photos - teh P&S camera is kinda junky :-?

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Nice Chrysler. My bud had one just like that. The way the back and front kind of flow together make it unusually roomy feeling inside. The torsion bar suspension was nice too.

The Mark VII is just a fancy 5 liter ford. The Mark VIII was the first of a new line and was built to compete with Mercedes etc. My Mark VIII with a real SLA suspension and IRS handles like a big sports car and the 290 odd horses are still all there. It still does 220 Km/h or about 140 mph and will happily do 6000 if pushed. With the Teksid 4.6 liter aluminum block made on the Ferrari production line in Italy it is a quality piece.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:53 pm

PenGun wrote:
The Mark VIII was built to compete with Mercedes etc.

Technically so was the Mark VII LSC (even though it was built on somewhat outdated platform) :wink: Not surprisingly it was featured on C&D's 10Best car list for 1986.

PenGun wrote:
My Mark VIII with a real SLA suspension and IRS handles like a big sports car

Well, "big sports car" is not exactly a positive quantity :wink: I've driven the new BMW's F10 M5 - while its suspension is pretty capable (same for its engine, even though it's now turbocharged) it still feels like a severely obese pig due to its sheer physical size and weight and even its fancy active rear differential can't "hide" that well enough... Which is pretty unfortunate since this model has very aesthetically pleasing exterior and interior design and its DSG tranny is much better than the jerky SMG tranny in previous gen :cry:

duke_nukem_3D
Gerbil

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:29 pm

Not driving it just yet, but about to order this one on Friday :D Decided on the white color after much debate (vs. black). My earlier thread on color preferences did help me decide :wink:

Intel i7 950 @ 4.3GHz, EVGA X58 3x SLI, Corsair 12GB DDR3, Corsair 160GB SSD + 2TB WD 7200rpm HDD, EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked, Asus Xonar Essence audio, Sony Blu-ray writer, Corsair 700D case

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 pm

I could have sworn I posted in this thread...but I guess not.

My current ride is a POS 1993 Miata. Megasquirt ECU, lowered ~1.5", Mazdaspeed tie rod ends, roll bar, long tube header + 2.5" exhaust, crappy ebay racing seats, 4 point harnesses, and a short shifter. Damn fun little car and with the current tune gets ~38 MPG in mixed driving. :)

Note, this is not "mixed driving". This is bad driving:

Misc shots:

Shortly after I built the new ECU:

Just after the new suspension install last summer...

It started out as this early last year:

I get a lot of funny looks now that I'm out here in Los Alamos. I'm pretty sure I drive one of the crappiest (looking) cars to work at the lab. :lol:
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:35 pm

Bump for some new mods - finally installed / hacked the wiring for the sequential injection kit on my ECU. Forgot to enable the extra injector drivers on first start...but amazingly a 4 cylinder engine will *almost* idle on only 2 cylinders. A checkbox later and I now have a sequentially injected engine. :)

Building the ECU for this this is by far the most rewarding thing I've ever done to a car. :D

Now I get to retune the fuel map. Yay. :P

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:56 pm

The Miata comes stock with a continuous injection system like 1st-gen ('83-'84) VW Rabbit GTis??
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Waco wrote:
I get a lot of funny looks now that I'm out here in Los Alamos. I'm pretty sure I drive one of the crappiest (looking) cars to work at the lab. :lol:

:lol: Well, it doesn't look very pleasing from aesthetic point of view but that's not very important as long as it is fun to drive.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
The Miata comes stock with a continuous injection system like 1st-gen ('83-'84) VW Rabbit GTis??

It's batch injection stock, so cylinders 1,2 and 3,4 share injection cycles.

JohnC wrote:
Waco wrote:

:lol: Well, it doesn't look very pleasing from aesthetic point of view but that's not very important as long as it is fun to drive.

Awww. I think the flat black with stripes looks awesome. :P

Fun doesn't begin to describe how it feels to drive though. With the seating position, suspension, and manual steering it feels like a fighter jet. It may not go like one...but it feels like it. :)