Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Bunch of People Quit Blizzard?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Check out all the job openings that just popped up on there website... Over 100 positions available.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/ca ... n=Americas

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Bunch of People Quit Blizzard?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Probably gearing up for another game, rather than a bunch of departures.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:00 pm

They seem fairly well dispersed so my guess would be some talent was reallocated to their new "next gen mmo" and that opened up vacancies on existing teams. Some of them like the internal staffing type positions would indicate more expansion in their workforce and are trying to beef those areas up to deal with it.

Overall, I'd say this is very much business as usual for any major company.
i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz | Gigabyte Gaming-5 | GTX 980 4GB | 4x8 (32GB) DDR4-2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 1x 3TB WD Green HDD

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Considering how they're gearing down WoW and Diablo 3 and how the only game that we've remotely heard about is Titan, I would assume this is more of filling positions that have become vacant. They fired a bunch of their support staff a few months ago too.

Openings for Titan have been around for years, that's how the rumors first started for it. B.net is a rather generic job that applies to all their products too, not a specific one.

Last time I checked their jobs page (roughly a year ago) there were only like 9 openings.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Wow isnt really winding down, they are adding a lot of new positions due to the release of mop....and they need bodies for all the customer service issues that will arise with a new exp. Plus they are massively adding on to bnet and making it much more than it is currently...they have plans to make it similar to facebook or other social media websites.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Bensam123 wrote:
Considering how they're gearing down WoW.

I don't believe that they are "gearing down" the WoW - MoP is not the last expansion for WoW, and even it is not out yet. But yea, most likely those job openings for the existing games are available because people have just voluntarily left the company, like plenty of them did before. Maybe more people went to work with ArenaNet or some similar company :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:40 am

If I remember that slide with the timeline on it (I cant find it right now), after the release of MoP we should start hearing more about 'Titan'. (this is assuming they stick to that leaked slide which they have done thus far)

Looking over the listings its seems to be just BaU stuff. Nothing anymore or less for any company really.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Game_boy
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:45 am

The Battle.net positions are because they want to replace the whole team after how bad SC2's bnet was (constant disconnections, basic features like chat channels/clan tags/LAN/custom game lobbies missing from SC1->SC2, unplayable cross-continent lag (NO ONE can play EU <-> KR which was fine in SC1))

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:51 am

Game_boy wrote:
The Battle.net positions are because they want to replace the whole team after how bad SC2's bnet was (constant disconnections, basic features like chat channels/clan tags/LAN/custom game lobbies missing from SC1->SC2, unplayable cross-continent lag (NO ONE can play EU <-> KR which was fine in SC1))

Fact or speculation? I only ask because you present it as fact, but it sounds like speculation. I don't think there's such a thing as "SC2's bnet" either; battle.net is just battle.net.

They probably (hopefully) plan to integrate Titan with battle.net more, and that could be the driver for all these positions too. With how the integration is with SC2/D3, WoW makes you feel fairly disconnected.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:58 am

They're definitely not gearing down Diablo 3, either. There will be at least one expansion.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Game_boy
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:11 am

absurdity wrote:
Game_boy wrote:

Fact or speculation? I only ask because you present it as fact, but it sounds like speculation. I don't think there's such a thing as "SC2's bnet" either; battle.net is just battle.net.

They probably (hopefully) plan to integrate Titan with battle.net more, and that could be the driver for all these positions too. With how the integration is with SC2/D3, WoW makes you feel fairly disconnected.

Yes, Bnet is the whole thing, but the specific parts of it for SC2 didn't work.

Evidence: The Lead Designer opening has been up since last July, which is the same time they finally implemented chat channels. The number of openings in the Bnet there has been increasing ever since, as well as a stream of essentially apologies from Blizzard and that they'd soon get round to implementing everything there except LAN. The department was also dispropotionately hit by the round of 600 layoffs did earlier this year.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:46 am

Game_boy wrote:
Yes, Bnet is the whole thing, but the specific parts of it for SC2 didn't work.

Evidence: The Lead Designer opening has been up since last July, which is the same time they finally implemented chat channels. The number of openings in the Bnet there has been increasing ever since, as well as a stream of essentially apologies from Blizzard and that they'd soon get round to implementing everything there except LAN. The department was also dispropotionately hit by the round of 600 layoffs did earlier this year.

Alternatively...Blizzard is gearing up for a new WoW expansion, a new SC2 expansion is on its way, Diablo 3 will likely have an expansion at some point, and they are (should be) working on Titan as well, which is a new MMO.

BNet has issues, yes, but I think it's just as if not more plausible that they are trying to get a better Battle.net to support new features. Heck, Steam is even set up so that you can access the Steam overlay in non-Steam games, and you can mess around in Steam outside of a game.

There are a lot of obvious ways that Blizzard can improve BNet, and given that they have new titles, this could very well be a hiring wave to roll out a new version of BNet.

And just to put on my tinfoil hat, this is Activision Blizzard now, and Activision has been in competition with EA on certain/several games. What does EA have that Activision doesn't? Something like Origin. Heck, even the BNet games are still a bit roundabout to access the downloads, which take more steps than they need to. Activision could be pushing an overhaul to BNet to act as a competitor against Origin and Steam.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:10 am

HMS Blizzard has been sinking and this recent event just means that water is done filling up the lower decks.

It will become another brand that it will get discarded as the execs at Activision grind into the ground.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:03 am

Actually blizzard and activision are owned by the same company, vivendi. Activision does not actually own blizzard, they are two seperate companies owned by the same company. As for the Blizzard dying thing, I have been seeing people say that since wow came out....OMG blizz is abandoning its RTS roots to make this terrible online game game, then in TBC it was OMG blizz is making the game so easy with removal of all the hard stuff...and so on every expansion. People have been claiming blizz is dying for over 10 years, and it gets old quick.

Just let the rage go and just don't buy their games, I am tired of all the people like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uf3b0N9 ... ature=plcp they keep playing and complaining to ruin other peoples fun.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:14 am

The effect of the merger has had a direct and substantial effect on Blizzard's games.

The blatantly obvious one is Diablo 3's RMAH + Online Always hooks. Always Online did NOT solve the supposed bots/hackers that it would fix (google D3 bot / D3 hacks), and the devs have admitted to balancing the game around using the AH. (ie: you do not progress unless you use them, or grind for hundreds of hours, even for slight upgrades). But lets not forget the paid mounts/pets in wow, which interestingly get new models/artwork, yet players who pay not only the subscription fee but also the expansion box, are given reused artwork/models.

If you read some of the job openings that point towards Titan, you learn that it will have HEAVY microtransaction hooks, heavy use of social media hooks, and in-game advertisements.

I complain because I don't like being lied to, and there were dozens of promises made about D3 that ended up being completely false.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

superjawes

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:18 am

Starfalcon wrote:
Actually blizzard and activision are owned by the same company, vivendi. Activision does not actually own blizzard, they are two seperate companies owned by the same company. As for the Blizzard dying thing, I have been seeing people say that since wow came out....OMG blizz is abandoning its RTS roots to make this terrible online game game, then in TBC it was OMG blizz is making the game so easy with removal of all the hard stuff...and so on every expansion. People have been claiming blizz is dying for over 10 years, and it gets old quick.

Just let the rage go and just don't buy their games, I am tired of all the people like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uf3b0N9 ... ature=plcp they keep playing and complaining to ruin other peoples fun.

If you follow Lore and his show PST, it was actually quite funny when he told everyone watching that they don't matter when it comes to Blizzard developing stuff for wow...I lol'd, and it's worth a watch. (As is Crendor's stuff that you linked.)

The gaming community has hardcore nostalgia goggles. And I mean HARD CORE. Old games are always better for some reason, even though experience has allowed people to perfect their craft. And since I'm already complaining a bit, just because games are "easier" now doesn't mean they are actually easier. This is another thing that comes up with WoW, and 90-99% of the people who say raiding is easy now have not cleared the content engineered to be difficult.

/rant

But I actually did not know that there was a parent company, so thanks for that info. I still get the tinfoil hat feeling that they are possibly going to push an Origin competitor for Activision leveraging BNet, but we will have to see.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

superjawes

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:23 am

lilbuddhaman wrote:
The effect of the merger has had a direct and substantial effect on Blizzard's games.

The blatantly obvious one is Diablo 3's RMAH + Online Always hooks. Always Online did NOT solve the supposed bots/hackers that it would fix (google D3 bot / D3 hacks), and the devs have admitted to balancing the game around using the AH. (ie: you do not progress unless you use them, or grind for hundreds of hours, even for slight upgrades). But lets not forget the paid mounts/pets in wow, which interestingly get new models/artwork, yet players who pay not only the subscription fee but also the expansion box, are given reused artwork/models.

If you read some of the job openings that point towards Titan, you learn that it will have HEAVY microtransaction hooks, heavy use of social media hooks, and in-game advertisements.

I complain because I don't like being lied to, and there were dozens of promises made about D3 that ended up being completely false.

I think you're confusing industry changes with Activision changes...

The paid pets/mounts in WoW do seem strange since they still use a sub model, but for starters, it works. They made a lot of money off the first sparkle pony, and more since then. This isn't exclusive to WoW, as other MMOs build most mechanics around it.

As for Titan's microtransaction/social media hooks, that's the future of MMOs. Period. Releasing a F2P game gets a lot of people into your game with minimal effort, and then you can sell things in-game to sustain revenue. This is something that has been successfully implemented, and you're going to see these things a LOT more in years to come. Heck, didn't Nintendo advertise a specific social service for the WiiU?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:19 pm

lilbuddhaman wrote:

This, basically.

Blizzard is a decent games company at heart, but it definitely now has people at the financial helm who are exploiting the willingness of people to put up with both a paid (not F2P) product with microtransactions everwhere that provide a competetive advantage. I don't like it but apparently enough people are oblivious to it.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:51 pm

lilbuddhaman wrote:

Like what?

Complaining about Free to play games with microtransactions is like complaining about breathing oxygen, its going to happen get over it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:50 pm

Nah, Wrath was the pinnacle of WoW. It's pretty easy to tell the quality has went down since then and continues to do so. They just don't care about the game anymore and it shows. Like I said, it's being geared down. EQ2 still has expansion packs being put out for it, that means relatively little except they want to milk consumers for all they're worth.

tanker27 wrote:
Complaining about Free to play games with microtransactions is like complaining about breathing oxygen, its going to happen get over it.

What asinine logic. Just because something exists does not mean you can't disagree with it. Sometimes there aren't better options available or there isn't a better method. Blatant acceptance of whatever is in front of you as 'fact' that you can't change is just down the street from learned helplessness.

superjawes

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:21 pm

Bensam123 wrote:
Nah, Wrath was the pinnacle of WoW. It's pretty easy to tell the quality has went down since then and continues to do so. They just don't care about the game anymore and it shows. Like I said, it's being geared down. EQ2 still has expansion packs being put out for it, that means relatively little except they want to milk consumers for all they're worth.
Gearing down? That's why they're adding tons of new features in this coming expansion, right?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Bensam123 wrote:
They just don't care about the game anymore.

:lol: Yes, yes, Blizzard definitely doesn't care about the game which is still the most populated MMO game out there and still provides them with most income...

Saying that "the quality of the game went down" is a pretty vague thing to say, and such subjective impression can be explained by other things, such as many players simply getting tired of playing same game for 7 years straight... Yes, new content is still getting added in, such as new locations, new extra classes, new level cap, new raids, but underneath all that this is still the same game, with same "primary" in-game world, same "primary" classes, with mostly the same familiar skills/abilities, same linear questing system, same basic crafting/auction system, same boring instanced PvP system, same graphics engine (with a few minor, irrelevant tweaks), mostly the same sound/music effects, etc. No new expansion can really "fix" the boredom for those people, regardless of its perceived "quality", the only way to bring those people back is by enticing them with a totally NEW game, with new graphics/sound engine, new in-game world, new lore, new questing/PvP/crafting/auction systems. That goes for EVERY long-term MMORPG I've played - people play for a first few years, then slowly get bored with same game and stop logging into it except for few brief weeks/months after new expansion hits.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Losing 25% of your playerbase and the general word on the street is really all you need to know. They're continuing to bleed about 100k subs per month too. It doesn't matter how many players they have either as the company has to grow to support them. It isn't just fixed costs all across the board. It's irrelevant.

Arguably their current playerbase is inflated as well because of the D3 deal. Buy a year sub to WoW and get D3 free... remember that? I have quite a few friends who did that and will quit as soon as their sub is up. Matter of a fact, the only reason they still play is to 'get their moneys worth', which is a stupid reason to play. Blizzard knows this and it's why they did it in the first place.

Tell me something. Why would they release a flagship game for free if you buy a 12 month sub to WoW? Why did they do that bundle in the first place? Blizzard doesn't release a game once every two years. Here's the reasoning for it. They know people who play Diablo 3 would be quitting WoW or players contemplating jumping ship completely would be enticed to stay. In other words they either valued WoW lower then Diablo 3, Diablo 3 lower then WoW, or both franchises lower then anything else coming out on the market, so they choose to lock people in. Even if they quit Diablo 3, they'd still play WoW to get their money worth.

A ton of new features like what in MoP? Crappy panda faces that are attached to dwarven bodies? The only good features they added in Cata was LFR and Transmog. Transmog they said they'd never do because they wanted to add a feel to each portion of the game and give their artists something to jerk off over. They know everyone wanted it and it was requested in the forums for years, yet they finally did it when people started leaving their game.

LFR is a feature a lot of the hardcore players hate too.

I mean all you have to do is play any other game (like a DOTA) to realize how many WoW exiles there are. There are tons of people who quit the game you can easily find. Pretty much every other MMO is full of them. The community is completely rancid too.

JohnC wrote:
Saying that "the quality of the game went down" is a pretty vague thing to say, and such subjective impression can be explained by other things...

Yet, all I had to do was say that for you to conjure all of that up. I could write paragraphs about the changes, which I have done in the WoW thread if you want to visit there for reference and on the Blizzard forums while all this was happening, hoping they would change things for the better. That's like screaming in outer space though.

There is a very distinct difference between someone who puts in the bare minimum to get by and someone who is thoroughly interested in and enthralled by their work. It's something that is very hard to quantify, but is most definitely something a lot of people can feel. You know when you pick up a object and it oozes quality and focus? Yeah, like that.

Cata was an expansion pack... It was most definitely not on the same level of any of the other two. MoP feels like another drop in the bucket with very little in term of quality. They don't even know what kind of game they have anymore or why people play it. They're completely gutting the game in favor of a Guild Wars 2 style system (no talent trees), yet that doesn't match their game at all. There is no direction or focus. That's arguably what each expansion pack has done to a certain extent. Original targeted EQ2, BC targeted GW, Wrath targeted WAR, Cata didn't have a direct competitor so it turned into a complete mess. The closest competitor for Cata would be RIFT, but RIFT was pretty much a carbon copy of WoW with a lot of improvements on it so they couldn't really copy anything from it... except for RIFTs.

I mean case and point, go play RIFT then compare it to WoW. They're worlds apart. WoW was once a great game, but it isn't anymore. Saying 'it's old and no one likes old things' is pretty frivolous. There is a lot they could do to WoW to improve it... they just don't care enough to do it. Like improving graphics, which they contemplated in between Wrath to Cata, but decided it wasn't worth it... There is so much... so many things they could do...

superjawes

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:46 pm

For starters, the hardcore players don't matter. You're talking about a very small percent of the player base, which Blizzard realized was NOT a target audience with the beginning of Wrath (something like 2% of players saw Sunwell). So in Wrath, they made easy mode content to supplement the hard content and the game flourished to 12 million subs before the brutal Cata launch cut that down to 10.2 (which is still pretty good, though). But like I said, hardcore players don't really matter, so whether they like LFR or not is irrelevant. It served its purpose and WoW stabilized because of it.

The point of WoW at this point is to get and keep as many people playing as possible, so in MoP, they're adding scenarios, challenge modes, pet battles, more daily quests and factions to explore, new PvP maps and game types, a new race, and a new class. That's not only a fairly long list, but it's pretty varied.

So yes, lots of new content despite being a 7 year old game. Of course you find many people who played WoW who play no more (7 years...still going).

I also want to put the talent system(s) under a microscope for a moment. Talent trees (as implemented now and in previous expansions) are broken. They don't add variety to a class. They add a pointless check to whether or not you looked up the best possible build for your role. That's boring. So in it's place, talents have CHANGED. Instead of having a tree, you choose a deck of abilities (basically). If that turns people off, so be it, but it really is an added layer of complexity onto the game, not a reduction.

No game is perfect, and they can't please everyone. Just because one person doesn't like it doesn't mean there aren't another 10-20 who love it. Blizzard's goal is to get the 10-20, and they've made a lot of good calls along the way. We'll see how Mists pans out. The game might just be too old to sustain 10+ million users, but time will tell that story, not a handful of forum posts.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:22 am

The other thing people when they say how wow is dying is that it is the end o the expansion...subs always drop off at the end of the expansion. we started having raiding issues due to not enough people logging on to raid, so we called it until the mop prerelease goes live. According to the wow is dying people our guild is dead and will stay dead in the exp just because we didn't log on at the end of the expansion. Everyone in my guild is looking forward to the new exp, just taking a break to catch up on real life stuff and play D3.

i am sure when subs go back up with the new expansion, the wow is dying crew will say just watch it will go back down in a few months. I just don't understand how so many people that claim to hate the game spend so much time talking about how much they hate it and hope it goes under. I don't care for first person shooters, but I don't spend hours on counter strike forums telling them how their game is terrible and its going to die. I have better things to do than rin other peoples fun and would rather play a game I enjoy. Don't be a negative nate.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:34 am

Bensam123 wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

What asinine logic. Just because something exists does not mean you can't disagree with it. Sometimes there aren't better options available or there isn't a better method. Blatant acceptance of whatever is in front of you as 'fact' that you can't change is just down the street from learned helplessness.

No its not. Studios are realizing that this business model is sustainable and that people will use it. The fickle gamer complains about subscriptions as well as F2P with microtransactions. But the reality is you cannot have it both ways and youre just going to have to accept one or the other and right now F2P with microtransactions are where its at.

I am betting that whatever Titan is its going to be F2P with microtransactions.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

AbRASiON

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:39 am

Warcraft 4, Warcraft 4, Warcraft 4 PLZ!!!!!!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:24 am

AbRASiON wrote:

They have already stated that Titan will be all new IP.

There will probably never be a Warcraft 4 unless they sell the IP or rights to another studio.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 am

tanker27 wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:

They have already stated that Titan will be all new IP.

There will probably never be a Warcraft 4 unless they sell the IP or rights to another studio.

The best bet would be an addon to SC2, methinks...and that would probably exclude a campaign or rehash old stories. Since WoW is still in full swing, there's no reason to advance the series (since WoW can cover the lore), and since SC has been so popular, a Warcraft RTS would be a direct competitor with it. Not a great position for a full release, unfortunately.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:25 am

tanker27 wrote:

That's a pretty bold statement to make considering the 12 years that passed between Brood War and Starcraft II, or the 11 years between Lord of Destruction and Diablo III. I wouldn't say "never" but my guess is it'll be several years after WoW is complete. As in, you won't see Warcraft IV come out while WoW is still active. That'd be pulling the plug on your own subs.