Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

rabble123
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Laptop from eBay - "installed from volume media"

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:29 am

I bought a Windows 7 laptop from eBay a few months ago, it came with a backup disc but no CD Key printed anywhere. I ran jelly bean finder and noticed it says "Installed from 'Volume' media." "Volume" to me means "licensed to a small business," my question is, should the HD crash and I have to reinstall 7 and re-activate, will this be an issue? If the CD Key isn't legit I'm planning on returning the item, I wanted your thoughts first though.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Laptop from eBay - "installed from volume media"

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:50 am

Grab AIDA64: http://www.aida64.com/downloads

In the Motherboard section, choose ACPI. There should be a table called SLIC. Make sure it's SLIC version 2.1. If it is, then the BIOS can activate Windows 7 OEM discs. Get a disc from your manufacturer and when you reinstall Windows from that disc, it should just activate with the certificate on the disc.

That said, if it doesn't have a sticker, it's not technically licensed (the sticker is the certificate of authenticity proof), and I'd consider returning it regardless.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Hallucin8
Gerbil

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:10 am

OEM sticker isn't under the battery? I was surprised when I found one under there, even though I've seen so many notebooks with worn off stickers.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:31 am

Hallucin8 wrote:
OEM sticker isn't under the battery? I was surprised when I found one under there, even though I've seen so many notebooks with worn off stickers.

Oh, yeah, that's a good point. That's where it is on my work-provided Latitude E5520.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Omniman
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:51 am

I noticed some laptop manufactures are putting the cd key in the battery compartment. Have you checked for it there?
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.