Steam Summer sale is on!

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Re: Steam Summer sale is on!

Postposted on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:50 pm

superjawes wrote:
JohnC wrote:
superjawes wrote: Also picked up Fallout 3 GOTY for $5.

Good price. Beware, though, there still may be issues with it and Windows 7 (random crashes/lock-ups), so safe often! :wink: Alternatively, you may try this easy manual fix:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1328904

Funny enough, I just had it lock up after assigning my starting stats. I'll try the fix from the forums. Thanks for posting it!

What's even more amusing is that there's a clear warning about "Fallout 3 not optimized for Windows 7" on Steam's store page and Bethesda being, well, themselves never bothered to "optimize" it even though people are still willing to purchase this game :wink:

Anyway, it's a great game with one of the most exciting moments (when Optimus... I mean Liberty Prime starts to kick ass) and also one of the saddest moments (poor Liberty... "I die...so that democracy...may...live....." :cry: ) I've ever seen in all the games.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Ca I put a vote in for Alan Wake aswell. Got it in the sale on the weekend when it was like ~$5 and its worth every penny. Graphics are pretty good ( some of the models are a bit low poly though) but the voice acting and story are great. Im loving it, presented like an AMC tv show. Thoroughly recommend it. Crysis 2 for ten bucks wasn't a bad deal either.
CityEater
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Also, Dragon Age: Origins is currently on "Flash Sale", including the "Ultimate Edition". I know many people have already played it, but for those who didn't - it's a very good RPG game. Very likely the last good "fantasy RPG" that will ever come from Bioware :wink: Seriously, this game had it all - elves, dwarves, dragons, evil creatures, faithful companions (and your own puppy!), romance (straight, gay, threesome - you choose :wink: ), and the beautiful female vocals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA-rLV6hGY4
Too bad teh animations and texture resolution were somewhat poor...
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:06 am

i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:29 am

FYI, the problem with FO3 is it doesn't play nicely with CPU scheduler on NT 6.x. The problem only happens when you have a CPU has more than three threads. Just take a look on how almost all of the random crashing issues happen on people with quad-core chips and greater? You have to force FO3 to only use two threads by editing one of .ini files. The simple fix immediately solve the random crash issues.

Fortunately, FO: NV resolved this known issue, but it has it own set of stupid glitches.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.
Krogoth
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:19 am

DancinJack wrote:
tanker27 wrote:Is L.A. Noire worth it? (I am still bummed that RDR isnt available for PC)

For 5 bucks, I think so.

No fair - it's €7.5 euro-side. Not only the €=$ conversion this time, but an even higher price (84% higher total cost).

I've put it on my mental might-want-to-get-this-when-it-reaches-€5-list though.
Stargazer
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 am

LA Noir is a great modern take on the old point-and-click adventure games mashed together a little bit of Phoenix Wright. I dig it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Now New Vegas is $5...hmmm....
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:25 pm

superjawes wrote:Now New Vegas is $5...hmmm....

Quit thinking and just buy it.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:45 pm

I have to skip out on this steam sale unfortunately. It's more a rigid promise to myself rather than any financial woes; I can't buy more games until I take out a significant chunk out of my backlog.

$5 L.A. Noire and $29.99 Max Payne 3 looked mighty tempting though. :(
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Ryhadar wrote:I have to skip out on this steam sale unfortunately. It's more a rigid promise to myself rather than any financial woes; I can't buy more games until I take out a significant chunk out of my backlog.

$5 L.A. Noire and $29.99 Max Payne 3 looked mighty tempting though. :(

I'm in the same boat but I couldn't resist max payne 3.
Intel Core i7-875K, Asus P7P55D-E Pro, Win 7 Home Premium
MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3-1333, Corsair TX650
Cooler Master Hyper 212+, Logitech Z-2300, ASUS Xonar DX
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, Dell Ultrasharp U2410, Antec P183
DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:53 pm

Stargazer wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
tanker27 wrote:Is L.A. Noire worth it? (I am still bummed that RDR isnt available for PC)

For 5 bucks, I think so.

No fair - it's €7.5 euro-side. Not only the €=$ conversion this time, but an even higher price (84% higher total cost).

I've put it on my mental might-want-to-get-this-when-it-reaches-€5-list though.

Just for future reference, I do 'business' for these situations. You Paypal the US price of game, plus paypal fees, and throw me a buck or so, and I gift the game to you. It's not perfect, but I've been doing it for a while without trouble.
Siglessness is boring.
Image - M4800-Eight1
Image - Vargr-Z97
Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Snagged the Thief Collection. I never played these classic games and I guess I'm just a sucker for old-school graphics with great gameplay. Backlog be damned!
Last edited by MadManOriginal on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Got L.A.Noire Complete and Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Ed. for $7.50 a piece. So far I'm managing to spend alot less than I did previous sales (mostly because all the games I want I already have).
Under Construction Forever~~~
Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Max Payne 3 will likely be right at $10-15 during the holiday steam sale....Looking at what I impulse bought in the past week.... I've got a huge backlog now.
I am jaded. I am cynical.
lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:59 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:Snagged the Thief Collection. I never played these calssic games and I guess I'm just a sucker for old-school graphics with great gameplay.

Thanks for making me feel old :wink:
i7 2700k, ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 2*Gigabyte 560ti in SLI, Samsung 530 128GB, WD 1TB Black, LG 12X BD-R, Coolermaster COSMOS, Win7,
Jarlaxlecq
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 pm

The funniest thing about that old Thief game is that the VSync setting affects Garrett's ability to climb ladders. :lol:

Note that many of those old games have really impressive 3rd-party patches and texture enhancement packs available.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:48 pm

picks so far:
The Witcher 2
Bastion
Trine 2
Galactic Civilizations 2
Alan Wake
Beyond Good and Evil
The Longest Journey / Dreamfall
Fallout: New Vegas + DLC

I'm pretty sure I don't even have enough space left to install all of them :lol:.
The Internet wrote:"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"
lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:33 am

I've already dropped close to $100 and now I have more games than I know what to do with! :o :D Just picked up the Alan Wake franchise last night, as well as the Assassin's Creed Pack, Crysis Franchise, Metro 2033, Fallout:NV Ultimate, Super Meat Boy, Serious Sam Franchise (including 3!), Limbo, and I also got UT2004 (75% off!) for my 2 sons so we can play online!
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:26 am

Good old steam summer sale. I think pretty much sums it up:
http://i.imgur.com/e0v4r.jpg
I cried the whole time steam was taking my money.
tpaulsen
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:05 am

tpaulsen wrote:Good old steam summer sale. I think pretty much sums it up:
http://i.imgur.com/e0v4r.jpg
I cried the whole time steam was taking my money.

I can't link them since I'm at work, but I liked NerfNow's take on Steam sales, both in the past and from this sale. There was a great one last December about Steam's Mac sale...
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:29 am

Picked up Krater and Total War complete pack last night.

Played Sanctum for.about 30min. Pretty fun. Probably a lot more so with other people.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = Pontifex / PSN = Pontifex
David
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:54 am

lethal wrote:picks so far:
The Witcher 2
Bastion
Trine 2
Galactic Civilizations 2
Alan Wake
Beyond Good and Evil

I'm pretty sure I don't even have enough space left to install all of them :lol:.

You will be pleasantly surprised by Dreamfall. It is story telling at its finest. Good job with Gal Civ and The Witcher 2, also.

I still need to buy Skyrim (which I will likely either never finish or just never play LOL).
Intel Core i7 2600K | 16GB DDR3-2133 | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro | PCP&C 750w | Gigabyte GTX 760 | Fatality X-Fi | Samsung 840 Pro | RAID0 2xWD 750GB Caviar Blacks | TV Wonder HD 650 PCIe
wingless
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 am

wingless wrote:
lethal wrote:picks so far:
The Witcher 2
Bastion
Trine 2
Galactic Civilizations 2
Alan Wake
Beyond Good and Evil

You will be pleasantly surprised by Dreamfall. It is story telling at its finest. Good job with Gal Civ and The Witcher 2, also.

I still need to buy Skyrim (which I will likely either never finish or just never play LOL).

The Longest Journey is probably my favorite pnc adventure game of all time. April Ryan is one the best written female characters ever.
BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Broke down and got Deus Ex: Human Revolution this time around, and probably getting Civ V when I get home (can't buy anything other than vanilla via iOS).

superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:48 pm

superjawes wrote:Broke down and got Deus Ex: Human Revolution this time around, and probably getting Civ V when I get home (can't buy anything other than vanilla via iOS).

Get the civ 5 with the expansions, I think the basic vanilla civ5 isn't as good as the expansion. I like the scenarios. Colonization for Civ 4 is worth it too.
CityEater
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

CityEater wrote:
superjawes wrote:Broke down and got Deus Ex: Human Revolution this time around, and probably getting Civ V when I get home (can't buy anything other than vanilla via iOS).

Get the civ 5 with the expansions, I think the basic vanilla civ5 isn't as good as the expansion. I like the scenarios. Colonization for Civ 4 is worth it too.

That's what I've heard. Was never a Civ player, but played the Gods and Kings demo...so I'll probably get the expansions just so I am more familiar with the game.

I'll check out Civ IV, too. Everything Civ is cheap right now. I think they're offering III-V in a pack, too.

superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:14 pm

I personally enjoyed Deus Ex: HR quite a bit. Sure it's a little light on the RPG side perhaps compared to the original, but I think it is pretty good compromise between an RPG and mindless linear FPS. Given its limitations, it's surprising how well it works at letting the player choose how to complete missions using stealth or full out violence. The only downside is that in most situations, it's almost always easy to just mow down enemies instead of sneaking around them - especially when you start getting better guns and your cool upgrades (unlike Thief, where it was pretty much impossible to take on more than a couple of guards..)

Now, somebody quick! Please remind me how disappointing Crysis 2 was. I'm tempted to get it for $12 just for the visuals, but I've made myself a promise that I'd not buy any more games for this sale...
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:28 pm

I never played Crysis 2...felt money could be spent better elsewhere, too.

And I just checked out Civ V GOTY and found out that Gods and Kings is not included. How "essential" is that one? I was hoping to get into Civ cheap and see if I can enjoy it.

superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:33 pm

superjawes wrote:I never played Crysis 2...felt money could be spent better elsewhere, too.

And I just checked out Civ V GOTY and found out that Gods and Kings is not included. How "essential" is that one? I was hoping to get into Civ cheap and see if I can enjoy it.

I found Civ5 really disappointing compared to CivIV (which is even better with it's expansions). My friend tells me Gods and Kings makes it way better but I haven't bought it yet because of my disappointment.

That said Civ5 is a lot easier to get into. Civ 4 sort of expects you to be familiar with the series and even figure stuff out on your own (the espionage mechanics in particular is horribly explained in Civ4).

So Civ5 is, imo, Civ-lite. Which might be what you're looking for.
BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming