Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Monoprice.com Wall Mounts

Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:33 pm

This looks like the best place, but please move if there is a more appropriate location.

So I've been thinking of finally moving my LCD displays onto my walls for some extra desk/shelf space. I saw this site pop up and was curious if anyone had experience with these brands or this site. Here is the page that I am looking at.

Even if you don't have experience with this site, let me know if you've had a good or bad experience with another mount/brand.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Dieter
Gerbil First Class

Re: Monoprice.com Wall Mounts

Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:45 pm

I don't know about the wall mount, but monoprice.com is awesome. Good products (for cabling, at least!), great prices, and good service. I've spent thousands with them and have never had a problem.

The only experience I have with a wall mount is a Peerless, and it was good.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Monoprice is great. I got one of these because I didn't want to shell out $100 for expensive brands. It isn't as nice as those more expensive ones I can tell, it sags a bit and I really had to crank down on the screw to keep the monitor from tilting forward, but it works because I don't move it much. Mainly it's just to free up desk space under the monitor.

Their return policy is pretty friendly, no restock fee just no refund on shipping.

superjawes
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Excellent. I think the TV mount I was eyeing at my local Target was $100 and didnt even have the swivel function, hence the interest in Monoprice. Just wanted to make sure that my TV wasn't going to fall off the wall before I bought anything.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Not sure where Monoprice purchases these mounts from, the price seems kinda cheap... Personally I've always been using Sanus mounts - very good quality, very sturdy, never had any issues with them.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Corrado

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:12 pm

I've used 3 or 4 Monoprice wall mounts and have never had an issue.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:01 am

JohnC wrote:
Not sure where Monoprice purchases these mounts from, the price seems kinda cheap...

For the basic stuff, not really. Mild steel brackets with folded edges, minimal machining, and a powdercoat finish plus some fastener hardware have a marginal production cost approaching the raw materials cost, i.e. a couple of bucks. The manufacturer only needs a small additional markup to pay for the factory that produces hundreds or thousands of the things every day. Then a bit more for shipping and distribution, since a big crate of steel tends to be heavy, and you might be at around $20. Then double it for the distributor markup and double it again for the retail markup so that your new HDTV purchase, which has a very high marginal cost and probably less than a 5% markup for the retailer and doesn't even pay for the floorspace it was occupying, averages out to something the retailer can tolerate.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

continuum
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:46 am

Read the reviews right on Monoprice-- they will usually indicate which mounts are good and which suck.

We have had excellent luck with Monoprice mounts where I am, probably at least a dozen installed and all have performed as expected (again, read the reviews!).

That said depending on the model, also check Amazon to see if they have anything similar, and again read the reviews. After watching a few friends get ripped off on $100+ for a mount from Sears, Target, Fry's, whatever, returning the mount and paying $16 or $33 for the Monoprice one after a little research is highly satisfactory. :)

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:21 am

I had no idea that monoprice even sold LCD mounting equipment - I've only every bought cables from them. I might just pick up a couple of the LCD monitor mounting arms . . .

CuttinHobo
Gerbil

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:59 am

I guess I'm late to the party, but for the sake of future forum searchers I definitely recommend Monoprice's tilt/swivel TV mount that I bought two of. Its product ID is 8587 and currently 95.55% of its 541 reviews are 5-stars (if I'm reading that right). It has a great heavy-duty feel and inspires a lot of confidence. To sweeten the pot even more, it costs less than inferior models you'll find elsewhere.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:17 pm

kumori wrote:
I had no idea that monoprice even sold LCD mounting equipment - I've only every bought cables from them. I might just pick up a couple of the LCD monitor mounting arms . . .
Exactly my reaction. This is great to know, and I appreciate folks posting their experience with the actual products. I've been pointing folks to monoprice to avoid Monstrously Expensive Cables for a long time; now I'll happily do the same for mounts. And I may just pick up one or two myself.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:28 pm

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

This is the one I ordered from monoprice for my heavy 55" panasonic vt30 plasma 100+ lbs and it is fantastic no sag whatsoever along with a built in level in the part that bolts to the wall. Very adjustable come well over 30" off wall if you want it to. It has 3 pivot joints along with tilt. The Unit came in a brown monoprice box but inside that was another box i threw away already but said it would hold 175lbs. I have no doubt, its tough:)

It comes with all the mounting bolts for all tv's and walls cement or studded walls.Even if you mount it slightly unlevel it has a adjustment to compensate.

To find one as nice you will be paying 200$ or better at target or best buy.

Another note: this mount is very tightly made...with no tv on it you have to use a good bit of force to move the joints. I imagine if you use a flimsy tv it might stress the back of it if you move it around a lot.
It made our 3D tv experience much better getting the tv closer to us making it more immersive and tilting down a bit so we look at it perfectly strait on. We love it. BTW 20$for shipping and it was delivered in 5 business days. Picked up some nice new 8ft HDMI cables for me and some friends while i was at it.....in multiple colors too they all work fantastic and look very well made compared to the cables i did own. 5$ a cable compared to 30$ at least for a 8ft cable that looked like doodoo............monoprice rocks!
Sorry i forgot to add that once the the tv is set on the wall mount it has a good 6-8 inches of right to left adjustment...which is great but the tv can slide off since they did not crimp the ends of the plate that it slides right to left on. Easily fixed with a pair of pliers and bend the corners.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Here's the one I pcked up for my 40" LCD.

It is solid. It is rated for only 110lbs, but it held me (150) on the thicker arms, half way out. I wanted to make sure the TV wasn't going anywhere :)

After I got this from monoprice, I can't imagine why ANYONE would buy one in a store. I also took the trouble to run all my cables through the wall, using faceplates from monoprice. It looks real nice with no cables hanging down.

One more thing - we got the swivel arm so we can swing the TV around the corner and watch it in the dining room. We don't do that much though, because it turns our girls into zombies.
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]