Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Nooo.. local Microcenter closing doors..

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:16 pm

Stupid economic climate... my Microcenter is shutting down :( Apparently they couldn't get good enough lease terms on their current location..

I just started getting addicted to their store.. :(

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Nooo.. local Microcenter closing doors..

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:20 pm

With their store-only exclusives, I can see why it'd be addictive. The closest one to me is 3 hours away, either St. Louis or Chicago areas.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Looking at your location, its somewhat hard to determine just which MC we are talking about. :-?
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

druidcent
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:35 pm

:D It's the Santa Clara, CA store...

Looks like I've got this week to get my build up and running.. I recently just got a bunch of stuff from them.. I need to make sure it works.

mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:02 pm

druidcent wrote:
:D It's the Santa Clara, CA store...

Looks like I've got this week to get my build up and running.. I recently just got a bunch of stuff from them.. I need to make sure it works.

OH THANK GAWD.

I was getting really scared you were talking about my neighborhood one in St. Davids, PA.

Dposcorp

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:25 pm

We only have one in Michigan, which is the good news.

Bad news is, it is a quarter mile away from where a Circuit City and CompUSA both once stood :)
Now its just MC, Best Buy, and a bunch of lil shops.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:50 pm

I haven't heard anything about the Cinci loaction shutting down. I rarely go there, but only because I rarely build myself a new computer :lol:

Their video card prices are insanely price gouging - or is it just that way at my location? But on just about everything else they've got pretty great prices.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:13 pm

The Columbus one is the same way. I think they're trying to make back the money they used to buy the CPUs that they give away for a song.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

destroy.all.monsters
Gerbil

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:54 pm

I'm really unhappy about this since most of the parts from my new build came from MC - and having had mobo and gpu issues in the past I ended up getting the extended warranty. Plus they're the only vendor anywhere in the Bay Area that carries an extensive amount of Asrock product.

Super bummed. Central in SF is so-so but parking is horrific. And Fry's is - well Fry's. I hate to even think where the folks there are going to find jobs afterwards.
I have nothing against humanity that thousands of years of nuclear winter won't take care of.

sluggo
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:05 pm

Boogers. I've enjoyed shopping there - good prices, easy parking, low FUD factor from the clerks and an excellent selection of DIY gear. If it's just an issue with a landlord, I have to think they'll relocate, as commercial property is still cheap and plentiful around here. However, I get the sense it's really a matter of being surrounded by Fry's and serving a well-informed and price-sensitive customer base.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action - Goethe