Tips for unlocking iPhone (sim-unlock)

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

Tips for unlocking iPhone (sim-unlock)

Postposted on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi all,

My wife's Galaxy S1 is about to die, and due to the great laws in Québec, I can finally rid myself of Rogers. I want to unlock my iPhone 4 32gb for my wife to use, and pick up a 4S 32gb for me with whichever provider I choose.

There's a chance Rogers may unlock it for me, but if they refuse, anyone have any luck with one the services in the 'net?

I don't care about jailbreaking, I have no complaints about the phone, I just want to use it on another carrier.

Thanks
i7-4790K-32Gb DDR3-1866-Zotac GTX 780ti -Samsung EVO 250GB- Samsung EVO 1TB
elmopuddy
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Re: Tips for unlocking iPhone (sim-unlock)

Postposted on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Well, there's a way to permanently unlock iPhones by using their IMEI and serial number, but that only works for AT&T models and it costs about $120... There's also a hardware thingie called "Gevey SIM", which is a little PCB with contacts and some chip which goes between SIM card and your iPhone, and it's kinda cheap, but I've heard it's not guaranteed to work... Your best bet is to call Rogers and ask them to provide you with unlock code (or whatever they do to unlock it), it shouldn't be a problem if your contract has expired.
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Return to Mobile Tech