Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Adampff
Gerbil
Topic Author

No Sound With Headphones

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:44 am

Hello everyone. Recently I just built a computer with the following components...

CPU / MOBO:
AMD X3 450 cpu
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+
MEMORY:
Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5
VIDEO:
Sapphire 11202-00-20G Radeon HD 7750
CASE / POWER:
GIGABYTE GZ-F3HEB Black SECC Steel / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply
OPTICAL DRIVE:
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

I put it together and it works perfectly except that I cannot hear sound when using headphones. I am currently using my 24" Haier TV as a monitor and I can get the sound to play through the speakers on it with no problem. However when I plug in my headphones to the audio jacks on my computer no sound comes through the headphones. I have managed to get sound to play through the headphones for a second or two a few times now but then it goes away. :-? I am really perplexed as to why this is happening. I have Googled my problem but have been unable to find a solution.

Thanks for your help. :D

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Re: No Sound With Headphones

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:10 am

When you put the front panel connections onto your mobo did you check that you put them into the right spots? Do your other front panel ports work correctly and it's just this one being a PITA?
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:14 am

Are you sure the headphones are plugged into the headphone jack, and not the line out / front speakers jack? Some motherboards will automatically cut off the speakers when you've got something plugged into the headphone jack; if you have the speaker and headphone jacks reversed, you won't get anything through the headphones as long as the speakers are plugged in.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:54 am

Can you get us a screenshot of the device/playback list in the audio section of the control panel?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Adampff
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:46 am

Here is the screenshot.

As far as where I plugged the headphones in I am sure they are the correct spot. It is right in front with the pink and green holes.

I am connecting my computer to my tv through HDMI cable, would that have anything to do with it?

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:54 am

Ok, I'm not sure how this fits in to the "getting sound for two seconds then gone", but from what I'm seeing, you don't have the audio drivers for your built-in soundcard installed, *or* the device is disabled. In one of the combo boxes in that window, I believe you can select an option that says "show hidden/disabled devices", or something similar.

Further explanation: HDMI passed both audio/video, which implies that it's your graphics card that's actually providing an audio stream. In practice, this means that you should have at least two audio devices: one for the graphics card - which you're seeing - and one for your motherboard audio - which isn't showing.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Adampff
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:57 am

Well the audio drivers should be installed (according to the cd that came with it)...

So I guess that means it should be disabled. However I found "show hidden/disabled devices" enabled it and still nothing shows up. :o

So I don't know what I am doing wrong.

EDIT:
I checked show disconnected devices and this is what came up...
I found the headphones and it says the device usage is enabled.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:02 pm

That's pretty strange. Nothing after enabling "Show disconnected devices" too?

PS - Thread moved to Echo Vale.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:13 pm

I think maybe there's a problem with your front panel wiring. Try temporarily plugging the headphones into the rear (line out) jack and see if you get any sound there.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

cjcerny
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:14 pm

One problem is that you say you have the Realtek sound driver loaded but your screenshots say you don't. You should have "Realtek" something or other for the speaker and headphone audio devices. Instead, you just have the generic "high definition audio device", so something is wrong there.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Is the onboard audio enabled in BIOS?