Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Triple monitor arm solutions

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:18 pm

Hey guys I'm tantalized by those korean 27 and 30 inch monitors. Can you by any chance help me I'm looking for a triple monitor arm solution so that I can suspend them over my drafting table.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Triple monitor arm solutions

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Been looking at Human scale, I see they have static solutions for up to 3 30" monitors and also the option of 3 seperate arms one per monitor but no tiple monitor one arm solution or something functionally identical.

I'm looking to have the ability to move and adjust the monitors around where I'm working but without re-configuring them as I do it that's why I'd like them to be as one. I'm trying to conceive of a way I could build my own unit if possible.

Something like this:
http://www.innovativeessentials.com/917 ... p-119.html

but don't know if that supports the weight of 3 30" monitors.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:03 pm

So what function are you looring for? Up/down tilting? L/R translation? Do you need them to come toward you or push back?

I'm thinking that you could use simple wall mounts and put those into a plate, then set said plate into some sort of track to move left and right. That bit shouldn't be too hard, but it wouldn't work if you needed more functionality than that.

EDIT: Also, if you can find a "stationary" mount that holds the monitors in place wrt each other, you can still use a track idea to get your left/right movement.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:14 pm

I bought one of these for my wife's editing bay...

http://www.amazon.com/Triple-LCD-Monitor-Stand-Monitors/dp/B0023ED22Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343326205&sr=8-1&keywords=triple+monitor+stand

I think they make one for larger monitors, but we had 3x19"s already so this fit. It is sturdy and articulated in every way except differential vertical -all three monitors have the same horizontal center point. It is great for her work.
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:45 pm

superjawes wrote:
So what function are you looring for? Up/down tilting? L/R translation? Do you need them to come toward you or push back?

I'm thinking that you could use simple wall mounts and put those into a plate, then set said plate into some sort of track to move left and right. That bit shouldn't be too hard, but it wouldn't work if you needed more functionality than that.

EDIT: Also, if you can find a "stationary" mount that holds the monitors in place wrt each other, you can still use a track idea to get your left/right movement.

I need a little up down movement but that could be made less relevant with a strong amount of foward and back motion. Its a corner desk/drafting table so putting it on the wall won't work it will need to secure to the back frame of my desk.

Thats the desk. That is the drafting surface fully extended. There is a 4 ft wide keyboard tray under the drafting surface.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:57 pm

I have 3x Dell 3011s supported from the wall by these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00284 ... 00_s00_i00

They do a great job and are quite affordable!

superjawes

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:25 pm

That picture actually helps a lot. If you can't find something to mount on your desk, you might have to fix something like that up yourself. As long as you don't mind putting a couple holes in the back corner of your desk, it shouldn't be hard to fix something there. That being said here is another find.

As another thought, have you thought of a way that you could link three independent arms together? You would lose some of the mobility of each individual arm, but you might not even need something fancy to keep the monitors moving generally together.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

KinCT
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:49 pm

superjawes wrote:
That picture actually helps a lot. If you can't find something to mount on your desk, you might have to fix something like that up yourself. As long as you don't mind putting a couple holes in the back corner of your desk, it shouldn't be hard to fix something there. That being said here is another find.

As another thought, have you thought of a way that you could link three independent arms together? You would lose some of the mobility of each individual arm, but you might not even need something fancy to keep the monitors moving generally together.

That is pretty cool looking, but I can just imagine one of those Homer Simpson moments when, 7 minutes after installing, I power everything up, start up that game that I have been salivating to play on my new 3x27" Eyefinity setup, and suddenly the damned thing rips out of the stud I put it onto and collapses onto my desk. Oh, and knocks over a big glass of water onto my new Intel Core i7 build.

superjawes

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:56 pm

KinCT wrote:
superjawes wrote:

That is pretty cool looking, but I can just imagine one of those Homer Simpson moments when, 7 minutes after installing, I power everything up, start up that game that I have been salivating to play on my new 3x27" Eyefinity setup, and suddenly the damned thing rips out of the stud I put it onto and collapses onto my desk. Oh, and knocks over a big glass of water onto my new Intel Core i7 build.
That's why the weakest I would use would be a 4x4 built into a wider base. That corner gives some extra breathing room if you need it, though, so building a makeshift "wall" pattern with triangular supports on the opposite side would be better. And hey, if you're going that far, why not give it some more weight. Make it wider and you can mount speakers up there. Although this is a drafting table. Having at least one lamp would probably be useful, too.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:43 pm

SuperJaws, That triple monitor arm only handles 18" monitors. I might be able to get a piece of plate made to join 3 monitors that basically overlays the vesa mounts. but I worry the 3 arms would fight eachother, you guys could inform me if I'm over thinking this.

superjawes

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:53 pm

chameleon, read that again. 18" wide is not the same as an 18" monitor. It might be close, but since you're stacking these in a row, the width is the only really important dimension.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:06 pm

still isn't the u3011 a 26" wide monitor?

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:06 pm

heres a doodle, pretty unrealistic want but a man can dream. Its a section of the drafting area.

for watever reason I can't get it to tilt to the left so its not showing properly

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:15 pm

If you want to suspend them, you should probably be looking at using three separate arms, unless you're extremely confident that one arm can properly support them.

Personally, I'd be looking at using a three-arm solution, while building a 'frame' for them out of 2x4s, which itself would then be attached to multiple wall studs.

A little over-engineering never hurt when you're about to spend >$1500 on a display solution that you expect to last for five or so years.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:57 am

looks like 3 arms, or atleast 2 might be the best option. Does anyone know of a series of systems I might purchase and combine, like a bar for multiple monitors that could combine with compatible arms??? Or am I looking at 3 seperate arms on each monitor and some sorta frame that I make to unify them?

superjawes

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:27 am

You're probably looking at making your own unification device, but I don't think that would be difficult. A piece of sheet metal would probably work, and you would only need to drill in the vesa holes you need. Keep in mind that you might also need longer screws to account for the added width.