Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: World Of Warcraft

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:12 am

It still infuriates me that people think WoW loses people because things are easier/simpler. The mass exodus of Cataclysm was from lack of easy content, and anyone saying the game is too easy has not cleared the heroic content.

/rant

Yeah, this coming expansion looks good in terms of getting a lot of stuff to do, which is what WoW does best. As long as the raiding is fun, I will be happy and will play all the way through.

As for the talent system, I think I will like it, but I would like to see "untility-only" trees return. There are a lot of little choices that players can make that would be compelling, like extending your judgment range as a paladin, and that could result in a lot of customization without breaking the game balance.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
DeadOfKnight wrote:
I quit playing after killing Deathwing and have had no desire to pick the game back up as there has been no new content since. I just got burned out on playing the same stuff over and over and watching the game get dumbed down more and more. I think I've had a good run after playing this game for 6 years, and I'm not impressed with whats being offered in the next expansion. Honestly, I'm glad to be over this addiction. I've been spending a lot more money on games now, but each time I beat one I look forward to the next new experience. It's also nice to be able to pause the game to get a drink without worrying about my team wiping. Now if only I hadn't signed up for that annual pass...

Well, honestly I think the game is going to change a lot for the better. Just getting rid of the cookie cutter talent builds will be nice, basically each expansion I have the same build the entire expansion, never had to change it once..and actually my combat build has been more or less the same since BC. Honestly I dont really see the game getting dumbed down in spite of what people will say,...there will be a lot more variety in talent choices, many more things to do in down time, pet battles, more dailies with no cap, your own farm to take care of, all the new cooking specialties, massive changes to PVP, and all the new areas to explore so we aren't sitting in org all the time.

Ive been playing since vanilla, and I have to say I am looking forward to this expansion more than I have any expansion. People have been saying wow is dumbed down and is going to fail since before bC came out and every expansion since then. Friends said that when BC came out how wow was going to fail as they were making it so easy to raid with only 25 unlike the 40 man naxx where the real raiders were. They said the same thing about wrath how everything was super easy an everyone would quit and wow was finished, ended up being the most popular expansion ever. Same with cata, they made a lot of misteps at the beginning, but I think the changes they made helped it finish up with a wrath feel. I figure mop will be another big success, I know plenty of my friends looking forward to new places to go an new gear to get.

Oh, I have no doubt it will be a success, I just won't be a part of it. I'm just burned out on it. Also, I don't consider it dumbed-down as far as making the game easy, but it's a lot harder to distinguish the skilled players from the rest because they made it so much easier to grasp. I actually enjoyed the complexity the game had back in the day. I enjoyed alt+tabbing to read all the theorycrafting forums and such. I enjoyed going around and taming beasts on my hunter to learn all the pet skills. I also kind of miss being not so expendable and valued for my knowledge of the complex intricacies of the game. Obviously I'm not the majority of people paying to play this game, but It's just become too mainstream for me. It's not just WoW though, it's the whole RPG genre. Today RPGs aaren't defined by those mechanics like they were back in the day, just look at Diablo 3!
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:13 pm

You have the freedom to play, and I wish you well in finding a game you will enjoy post wow. I just get tired of the negative nates http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uf3b0N9 ... ature=plcp that arent happy unless they are complaining about how terrible the game is, yet they keep playing.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:09 am

September 25th, Mists of Pandaria is coming out.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:23 pm

Marked on my calendar...got to get mine preordered. One new thing is they are offering a digital collectors edition to buy....for those people who are afraid of the sun or going outside.

superjawes

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Marked on my calendar...got to get mine preordered. One new thing is they are offering a digital collectors edition to buy....for those people who are afraid of the sun or going outside.

We'll it's not the "real" collector's edition with all the art, DVDs, and mouse pad.

I'm going digital just because the content won't go live until 12AM PST (PDT?). I did the midnight release for Cataclysm in a store, already had the content downloaded, but still had to wait another 3 hours for the content to go live. Same thing happened with Portal 2 and Steam, too. Unless I can get something cool and physical, I'll be doing digital releases for my PC games.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:14 pm

I no longer play but:

-Cookie Cutters will continue to exist, giving players even less options is in no way fixing the problem
-EVERY expansion they claim to fix stats/gear progression issues, and EVERY expansion they are broken mid-way through and have to be retweaked/retooled
-There is ZERO risk vs reward in the game
-Loyal/Veteran players are treated worse than players who have jumped ship. ie: There are little to no rewards for those who faithfully stayed subscribed for years, whereas those who quit and rejoin are given a multitude of free mounts, free leveling, etc etc. Not to mention the new "black market", allowing players to buy mounts that other players "earned" through either incredibly hard content or weeks/months of farming.
-New content is becoming less and less per expansion, with artwork, models, sounds, locations being reused over and over instead of new assets being made. To make matters worse, there seems to be no problem making new content for the paid mount/pet shop. What is the monthly fee for (past the server maintenance costs) if we're not given new content? What's the box-cost of each expansion if we aren't given new content?
-There are constantly nerfs to instances without reason. They claim to make the game accessible to "everyone" yet they also nerf hardmode content, which was supposed to be reserved for those "1%'ers".
-The "massive" aspect of the game is completely dead. Cross Server, Cross Realm, matchmaking, instancing of open worlds, phasing; all of it causes the actual amount of player interaction to drop, server communities to die, and most importantly for server costs to drop (more players in one area = exponentially higher cpu/data use)

To me, WoW is no longer the game it once was, but instead of Carnival. It's a hub of mini-games with a "world" connecting them. Players can drive tanks, do bombing runs, do scavenger hunts, have pokemon battles, do coordinated battles (which used to be the entire focus of raiding), pvp, or a multitude of other "stuff" that isn't the "core" of a role-playing game. If it was $5 a month (or free) it might be something to play, as a casual title....but it simply isn't what it used to be.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:18 pm

lilbuddhaman wrote:

-Loyal/Veteran players are treated worse than players who have jumped ship. ie: There are little to no rewards for those who faithfully stayed subscribed for years, whereas those who quit and rejoin are given a multitude of free mounts, free leveling, etc etc. Not to mention the new "black market", allowing players to buy mounts that other players "earned" through either incredibly hard content or weeks/months of farming.
There is truth to this. I won't be buying or farming gold so black market will be inaccessible to me anyway.

lilbuddhaman wrote:
To me, WoW is no longer the game it once was, but instead of Carnival. It's a hub of mini-games with a "world" connecting them. Players can drive tanks, do bombing runs, do scavenger hunts, have pokemon battles, do coordinated battles (which used to be the entire focus of raiding), pvp, or a multitude of other "stuff" that isn't the "core" of a role-playing game. If it was $5 a month (or free) it might be something to play, as a casual title....but it simply isn't what it used to be.

I can really see this critique. Which makes the community more toxic as someone else said. PvP randoms, already toxic, are worse than they ever were. Oh well, I will still buy and hopefully enjoy to some degree. Not totally satisfied with WoW, not able to replace it. WoW kinda wrecked me for many other games.

Star Wars came closest to WoW, for me. Conan didn't work. Star Trek Online, and Eve did not work for me. (digression - Eve offline skill system was an amazing idea which I wish someone would run with) I had high hopes for Dragon Age and could not get into that, either. Maybe I am getting too old :o

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:46 am

you know I was poking around in my Battle.net account and had my finger was hovering over the WoW resubscribe button. Even with the summer Steam sale, its been quite boring this past few months. I have actually considered resubing.

lilbuddhaman wrote:
WoW kinda wrecked me for many other games.

Isnt that the godawful truth. I 'had' so much time invested in it and shunned many other games just to play, going back to anything or even moving forward to something new just doesnt fulfill the void. Damn Blizzard and their crack. :wink:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:33 am

You aren't missing anything. Unless you really have a urge to go grind out some more worthless emblems. I have two accounts, one that was never upgraded so every four months or so I get a free 10 day trial and it only takes about 7 of those to realize why I quite playing in the first place.

The game hasn't changed, the content hasn't changed, the staff hasn't changed. The game feels dull and boring. Sadly, the people playing it haven't changed. It feels like a dull and drab place all the social recluses go to rag on others and sit in their own filth. The community used to be pretty vibrant, but that definitely died out in Wrath towards the end when everyone was getting bored, so people started trolling hardcore. That has persisted after as Cata wasn't really a winner of a expansion pack.

I really don't think people will have something to compare WoW to till they play GuildWars 2... Hopefully they wont bring their jaded hate and cynicism with them though. Guildwars 2 feels like quite a happy and energetic game compared to WoW... Like the developers haven't beaten all the life out of it and they actually care about what they're making.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:52 am

Bensam123 wrote:
I really don't think people will have something to compare WoW to till they play GuildWars 2... Hopefully they wont bring their jaded hate and cynicism with them though. Guildwars 2 feels like quite a happy and energetic game compared to WoW... Like the developers haven't beaten all the life out of it and they actually care about what they're making.

I am definitely going to play GW2. Its bought and paid for. Now I just need something to by my time for the next 5 weeks.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:15 am

Mr Bill wrote:
I just started playing WOW. My rogue is up to level 9. Its been fun so far.

pedro wrote:
Insightful.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
You can click on the exclamation point in the triangle to report SPAM.

I sure hope that remark was not aimed at me. BTW, I now have an 85 level rogue, an 83 level DK and an 18 level hunter. I've found a good guild and its really quite a lot of fun. Now if I can just manage to play less but still have fun... :D
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:46 am

tanker27 wrote:
Bensam123 wrote:

I am definitely going to play GW2. Its bought and paid for. Now I just need something to by my time for the next 5 weeks.

Let me know which server you roll on, I've been heavily involved in the beta events, and very much in love with everything. I played nothing but PVP the last weekend and had a freaking blast. So much fun.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:07 am

Hmm, its a very slow day at work. So...
My impressions of WOW.
My brother in law got me to start the game and then abandoned me. So, I think my rogue died about 300 times during the first 30 levels. But I persisted because I loved how creepy the surroundings were as I got into each new area. Being a squishy rogue, I spent quite a lot of time sneaking around. I would scout places out and maybe pick off the inhabitants one by one. Then find out that I would later get a quest to go do what I had already done. So, there was a learning curve. I picked my first herb because it sparkled. I had no idea that I could sell them at AH till I reached level 20-30. I think around level 25 someone came through and took me to silvermoon city and showed me I could get a mount. Yippie! I finally left tranquellin behind, started using the flight points and moved onward.

I decided to take up mining also and went back to the old stomping grounds for copper, then tin, etc. Being a double gatherer has its adavantages. I was flush with gold. I've made over 150K at the AH and could pretty much buy any gear I wanted prior to running dungeons. But I did no run any with this rogue till recently.

It was a slight letdown to reach level 85 and no longer get experience. A friend of mine rolled up a DK on my server when I got to level 58 and we started playing together. The Argent Tournament was a kick. I was pretty dubious about the mechanics of it. But now its old hat and I still grind them so I can start my other tunes with legacy gear. So, pretty soon the two of us were running the level 70's and then at heroic and then the level 80's getting gear.

About gear. I spent several weeks farming volatile fire and water in the twilight highlands. I caught hundreds of guppies getting the water. I farmed volatile air and life in Uldum. I had a ton of volatile earth and life already being a gatherer. So, after all those weeks, I was able to get the mats together to have a guild blacksmith craft 'brainsplinter' dagger for me. It was a great upgrade from the toxidunk daggers I had bought at the AH. I was finally ready to try Hour of Twilight. We ran it 7 times and somewhere in there I got a better dagger than 'brainsplinter'. Now, on the one hand, I was pleased to get something so spiffy. On the other hand I was a bit outraged that it took so much effort to craft the best dagger possible from blacksmithing and then have all the better ones be drops. However, I don't regret the slog of farming all those mats. It was an adventure in itself just running around getting all the stuff together, finding somebody to make my true gold, finding somebody willing to blacksmith it, and then gritting my teeth and finally handing 4500 GP worth of mats over to someone on our guild roster and hoping I was not making a big mistake. I think, the collateral mats gathered while getting the mats needed, netted me ~18K GP at the AH. I am still selling the last of the highland guppies.

In fact, it seems to me that much of WOW is broken in the sense that about the time you are invited to deepholm, or vashjn'ir, or uldum, you have already bought better gear at the AH than will drop in the quest lines. Further, that gear is also better than anything you can craft with the professions. That said, I can see that a dual gatherer like my rogue has a money advantage in not having to pour money down a rat hole for a profession. My DK is my new rathole for money. He is alchemy/jewelcrafting and I have just finished leveling him in those two professions. Well nearly, his JC is only 515, but he is close. Back on topic... Having money, of course it was fun to pore over the auction house offerings late at night to see what new gear had been dropped off by raiders or tunes buying gear with justice, valor, or honor points and selling the gear for gold.

Its an odd economy that WOW has. All the very best gear, falls from bosses. I wonder who makes it for them. Its as if all humanoids in WoW are barbarians squabbling over the spoils left behind by Titans and Gods and are incapable of making anything truely superior. We simply overwhelm them with shear numbers, like a tide of rats, pulling down a wolf.

Speaking of rats, I am just about ready to try my hand at raids. I've been having fun so far.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:34 am

I'm going to bang my drum a little bit louder because people still seem to think WoW is a untouchable titan which hasn't faltered in the least...

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/287 ... -1-Million

1.1m subs left in 6 months. The one year subs for the D3 joint deal haven't expired yet.

It's funny how they think MoP is going to bring people back in droves.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:06 am

9.1 million is still a very large size, compared to like EVE which has 1.7 Mil and now SWTOR which is just below 1 mil. WoW IS still a Juggernaut. I have said it before and will say it again the only thing that will kill WoW Is Blizzard itself, e.g. Titan. Nothing has even come close since its release. They could hemorrhage 1 million accounts every six months and still survive for four+ more years.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:16 am

Bensam123 wrote:
It's funny how they think MoP is going to bring people back in droves.
It's really funny how people who apparently hate/dislike the game so much still talk so much about it...

But since we're talking now, what other MMOs have 9.1 million subscribers? How many games that are seven to eight years old still have that kind of active player base?

WoW will eventually die. Eventually. As I've already said, it's almost eight years old, but people are being far too quick to cry of Doomsday. The quarter of losses are partly due to people playing D3 and taking a break from the game until new content releases. The other major chunk is from the same market that grew the game to 12 million subscribers, meaning that the game is still doing very strong here in the west. And if that weren't enough, the game just lost about as many if not more subscibers currently playing the last "WoW-killer" to release.

Bang that drum all day long. I'm headed to Pandaria.

Edit before submission: tanker confirmed SWTOR numbers for me. And I particularly like the bit of math about losing 1 million/6 months and still lasting 4 or more years. There's some perspective for ya.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:27 pm

A game that's bleeding a million every six months, isn't that many... especially when the playerbase is generally dissatisfied and hostile.

Yes, I still talk about this because it represented quite a large portion of my life and I cared enough to try and help fix things only to be ignored (of course). Not just that, but a lot of people like to pretend every thing is fine. So, I'm going to say 'I told you so' for the next year or so while the game dies out. It's going to really become apparent after MoP comes out and this ark full of magical subscribers who are now playing GW2 wont come back. Oh and the people who bought year long subs with D3 will run out.

The real kicker will be when Blizzard neglects closing realms so it doesn't look like the games dying and that kills the game in and of itself because they will be on empty realms.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:51 am

Realms wont really be empty anymore you know, they will be sharing zones between servers in the exp and even on the emptiest servers, you will see lots of people out leveling and gathering that you can interact and form groups with. Plus if you form a group you can leave the zone and go elsewhere, so empty realms aren't really an issue anymore. Blizz may make mistakes and errors, but they aren't stupid enough to kill their golden goose. Its the end of the exp and you always loose people from boredom and lack of content to do, I think you should go back and look how many people left the game when all we had was ICC for a year back in wrath.

I get tired of people that have to always saying how wow is going to die, and the new flavor of the month MMO is going to kill it. That's actually a bad thing, if wow died and there was only say GW2, do you really think it would be free to play or have much in the way of features? It would be no different than only having nvida making graphics cards...price goes up, features go down, and progress slows. With a variety of MMOs out there, they will borrow and take things from other games and use them to make a better experience for everyone. Heck ultima online and everquest are still able to be played even though they are even older than wow.

I like the freedom of choice what MMO to play, and I have chosen wow is my game. I get tired of people who only get joy out of trying to destroy wow by badmouthing the game and gleefully post subscriber statistics. That would be no different than posting on TR how it is going to die as we only had 10 new people sign up and 3000 new spambot accounts. Going by your wow thinking that means TR will be dead in mere months with just damage sitting here sweeping out the place before he shuts off the lights. If wow meant so much to you, just let it slip into your past of happy memories and move forward and play GW2 and be happy. Let the anger and wrath go and enjoy life.

superjawes

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:43 am

The thing is, you don't keep millions of people paying for something if the majority is dissatisfied or hostile. The people who are unhappy are certainly vocal, but the forums represent a small and specific subset of the population. And again, those players don't really matter because they are such a small subset. As long as millions of people are happy, the game will be strong.

And I'm shooting down the GW2 nonsense right now. I heard the EXACT same thing about Star Wars, and which MMO dropped below a million subscribers and scrambled from paid to F2P. It will attract its own base of players, some old WoW people, but I highly doubt that it will overtake WoW anytime soon.

credible
Gerbil XP

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:45 pm

tanker27 wrote:
you know I was poking around in my Battle.net account and had my finger was hovering over the WoW resubscribe button. Even with the summer Steam sale, its been quite boring this past few months. I have actually considered resubing.

lilbuddhaman wrote:
WoW kinda wrecked me for many other games.

Isnt that the godawful truth. I 'had' so much time invested in it and shunned many other games just to play, going back to anything or even moving forward to something new just doesnt fulfill the void. Damn Blizzard and their crack. :wink:

It is a hard one to ignore, had almost 4 years invested in the game and it did ruin me as well for other games.

I keep saying I will give it another chance, but, it really did stagnate for me big time the last 4 months or so, I'm sure there are many reasons for this, I think the biggest was it required so much time to succeed or at the very least do well.

For that kind of time sink it can't just be the friends I had in guilds and such, yes some I refer to as friends, I had to have success, not be the best, just success.

I got to down LK, but only after another guild needed one more dps, but it still felt good as it was their first time as well.

If they could have kept these kinds of "feelings" in the game, it may continue for years yet with me back as well maybe,lol.

credible
Gerbil XP

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Bensam123 wrote:
You aren't missing anything. Unless you really have a urge to go grind out some more worthless emblems. I have two accounts, one that was never upgraded so every four months or so I get a free 10 day trial and it only takes about 7 of those to realize why I quite playing in the first place.

The game hasn't changed, the content hasn't changed, the staff hasn't changed. The game feels dull and boring. Sadly, the people playing it haven't changed. It feels like a dull and drab place all the social recluses go to rag on others and sit in their own filth. The community used to be pretty vibrant, but that definitely died out in Wrath towards the end when everyone was getting bored, so people started trolling hardcore. That has persisted after as Cata wasn't really a winner of a expansion pack.

Then I read this from Ben and I really do have to concur, I did the free 10 day thingy and it just was not the same, mind you, I am 43,lol..............but I sure do miss the game, when I was heavily involved.

credible
Gerbil XP

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:48 pm

I forgot to add,lol, I went through guild mates leaving for all those other wow killers through the years, I have yet to ever try one of them, but...................I did preorder GW2, without even trying it, just listening to what folks like Ben had to say about it.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:39 am

superjawes wrote:
It still infuriates me that people think WoW loses people because things are easier/simpler. The mass exodus of Cataclysm was from lack of easy content, and anyone saying the game is too easy has not cleared the heroic content.

And I will fight to death over rather or not this is true...which it is.

I think only small % of veterans like doing advanced algebra to figure out the perfect niche' to gain the highest dps, but the rest of the oldies just hate how everything which was a rite of passage is just handed to new people.Things like...training, feeding pets. Is it hard? No. But it was logical, had authenticity, and made it much more personal, all of which equated a general level of accomplishment and fun. With all of that stripped out years ago, the system was dumb-downed, and it's a matter of mashing buttons; the game was always about mashing buttons but it was less mechanical and much, much more personal and fun.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:47 am

Guildwars 2 in 8 days :wink:

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Dashbarron is definitely on to something. For me at least, some of the things that made vanilla painful and unfair and weird actually gave the game a lot of character. Everything is so streamlined and straight-forward now, it's lost a lot of its heart. It's part of what's made it more accessible for a larger audience of course, but it's also made it less interesting to me.

I'll likely check out Panda-land anyways!

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:47 pm

dashbarron wrote:
superjawes wrote:

And I will fight to death over rather or not this is true...which it is.

I think only small % of veterans like doing advanced algebra to figure out the perfect niche' to gain the highest dps, but the rest of the oldies just hate how everything which was a rite of passage is just handed to new people.Things like...training, feeding pets. Is it hard? No. But it was logical, had authenticity, and made it much more personal, all of which equated a general level of accomplishment and fun. With all of that stripped out years ago, the system was dumb-downed, and it's a matter of mashing buttons; the game was always about mashing buttons but it was less mechanical and much, much more personal and fun.

One of the best things I have read elsewhere is how poisonous nostalgia really is. You look back at things, and it seem much better than it really was. I played back in vanilla, and a lot of those things you talk about were huge pains in the butt. Was it any more fun to not get a mount until lvl 40 and spend all that time running around? Was it fun to have to go through huge attunement quest chains and spend months of game time doing that just so you could get into raids? Not really....the only reason we didn't quit back then was that wow was the new thing and the choice of going back to ultima online or everquest was an even more painful one.

This is the reason why blizz will never make a vanilla, BC, wrath, or cata only server. If people saw the reality of what they actually played versus what their nostalgia gives them, people would be very upset and stop playing. The game has come a long way with many improvements over the years and going backwards is not really a solution. People that played during vanilla tend to forget how it really was and others who didn't actually play and claim they did..make it harder to move forward. I saw on the wow forums about how people were saying how great attunements were and they really should bring them back...obviously they didnt play in vanilla and BC because they were some of the worst content blocks they ever did. Want to change mains in vanilla, beside it taking about 4x as long to level then as it does now..not to mention many less quests to do..or nothing for your level ...so you just have to spend many levels grinding mobs to level. Not to mention that you have to go through an attunement quest all over again on your new toon. It was just terrible, not to mention how badly gear was designed back then ...one thing people forget since they changed the stats on all the old gear with cata so that they made much more sense.

I simply remember both the good times and bad back in vanilla, but I never really want to go back there to play again. MOP will be another huge step forward and I wont let the poison of nostalgia make it seem the old day were so much better. The reality was at least for me, having to stop after a couple mob pulls to eat or bandage, or spending 6 months farming SM to get enough gold to but a epic mount, or wiping in raids because poeple had no idea how to play. One of the things that still sticks in my head from those days was when we had our raid group in ZG ready to engage bloodlord madokir. All our healers were lined up near the wall, and as we engage one of our healers screams out on vent "WTF are all the other healer priests going into shadow form for?" Ah those were the days, and BTW we did wipe...badly.

With wow, we need to move forward with each exp and learn from the past and what other expansions did both right and wrong. We do not need to keep releasing vanilla over and over every exp...like some people would think would be the greatest thing ever....otherwise wow would be long dead and gone. Change is good, and moving and looking forward is the best.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Good post, I don't regret attunement chains being gone. What a grind levelling was as well.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:15 pm

superjawes wrote:
It's really funny how people who apparently hate/dislike the game so much still talk so much about it...

I hate WoW and I'm glad I quit, but why wouldn't I talk about it when it stole about a full year of my life "/played"? It's stealing more every time I talk about it. It's a curse, I tell you!
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Great post StarFalcon.
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO