Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Planetside 2

Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:24 pm

Yes it's going to be free-to-play. No, I don't care.

Two hours of gameplay footage from E3.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: Planetside 2

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:45 pm

In preparation of the beta release, old Planetside 1 accounts are being given 30 days of free play time. The 30 days free hasn't rolled out to everyone yet, but it's worth checking on.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:24 am

Planetside 2 looks awesome. I can hardly wait for the launch, or at least for the open beta to begin.

What faction will you choose?
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:41 am

Wasson. Oh, sorry, wrong thread.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:27 am

Arclight wrote:
What faction will you choose?
I'll start off as Vanu since that what I played as during my Planetside 1 years.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:30 pm

If anybody's interested, here's nearly an hours worth of tech. test footage from the Creative Director.

All Planetside 1 veterans, i.e. those that paid for at least one month's subscription, will receive priority access to the beta. With that being said, I can't wait for the beta to start.

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:53 pm

The "Technical Test" started last week, you can probably just call it an "Alpha". No idea when the closed beta will be starting.
i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz | Gigabyte Gaming-5 | GTX 980 4GB | 4x8 (32GB) DDR4-2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 1x 3TB WD Green HDD

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:59 am

Master Kenobi wrote:
The "Technical Test" started last week, you can probably just call it an "Alpha".
The technical test was for SOE to test their infrastructure, mainly if their servers can handle the load of X number of users playing simultaneously. I think it's a good idea since they'll more than likely have the additional resources up and running prior to the start of beta. That would allow beta testers to better test the game instead of complaining about lag. Another purpose of the technical test was also to see how well the user experience is considering the wide gamut of PC specifications being used.

Master Kenobi wrote:
No idea when the closed beta will be starting.

According to Smedley, it's looking like beta will start next week.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:54 am

Yeah but is it going to be a closed beta or...?
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:57 am

Arclight wrote:
It will be a closed beta as in all of those that are Planetside 1 veterans, i.e. those that had at least one month of a subscription, will have priority access to the beta. Also, there were some priority beta keys included in a recent issue of PC Gamer. If you follow the Planetside twitter account, as well as several of the developers (Higby, TRay, etc.), they've been giving out keys there as well. However, I'm not sure if the Twitter keys are priority access or will be good for the subsequent waves. After all that is said and done with, I'm sure more and more non-veterans will be included in the beta, provided they sign up on the Planetside 2 website.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:11 am

And here's the new full-length trailer: Link

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Dizik wrote:
Arclight wrote:
It will be a closed beta as in all of those that are Planetside 1 veterans, i.e. those that had at least one month of a subscription, will have priority access to the beta.

You don't even need to be associated with PS1... I've had old Sony Station account when I used to play EQ2 which I completely forgot about and I did receive the beta invitation to it :o
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:21 pm

JohnC wrote:
Dizik wrote:
Arclight wrote:
It will be a closed beta as in all of those that are Planetside 1 veterans, i.e. those that had at least one month of a subscription, will have priority access to the beta.

You don't even need to be associated with PS1... I've had old Sony Station account when I used to play EQ2 which I completely forgot about and I did receive the beta invitation to it :o
Are you talking about an invitation to the Tech. Test, or the beta?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:37 pm

Dizik wrote:

Tech test. But from what I've read it will automatically roll into Closed Beta.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:47 pm

JohnC wrote:
Dizik wrote:

Yeah, but not everybody got into the tech. test. You're the first person I've heard of that got an invite without signing up for one.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:19 pm

Dizik wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Dizik wrote:

Yeah, but not everybody got into the tech. test. You're the first person I've heard of that got an invite without signing up for one.

Yea... I was pretty surprised. Actually, I did sign up, BUT with a different NEW account which I recently created, not using the serial keys that are being given away at random places... Then I got an invitation e-mail, tried to click the link that was inside and then tried to log in with my NEW account, then tried to download the beta client, which was not allowed... After a few minutes of going in circles, I finally decided to check the e-mail address to which the beta invitation was sent to (I have different e-mail addresses which all "forward" stuff to my primary e-mail, so sometimes it can be little bit confusing) and saw that it was sent to my different e-mail associated with VERY OLD SonyStation account :o I logged in with my VERY OLD account, went to PS2 beta site, it allowed me to download beta client and actually play it :wink: B.t.w, I've seen on some forums the very similar situation which happened to someone else.

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:15 pm

The tech test ended Saturday 6/28. The closed beta will begin on Tuesday(Tomorrow) 6/31. Tech Testers were all rolled into the closed beta.
i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz | Gigabyte Gaming-5 | GTX 980 4GB | 4x8 (32GB) DDR4-2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 1x 3TB WD Green HDD

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:25 pm

John Smedley said today that beta is being delayed until Friday or next Monday: Link

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Ah, you are indeed correct. It seems the technical test is going to continue for another week, which was unexpected. August 6th seems like the earliest they could start the closed beta based on the technical test schedule that was just updated.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:09 pm

FYI, the server is currently down. Not that it matters...I can't play on the POS setup that I'm currently using.

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:26 pm

That's normal. The tech test is only up for about 8 hours on the days it is scheduled to be up. These hours are typically during peak timeslots where they can get the majority of players on and in game. Closed beta may bring about a more 'round the clock test schedule, but for now it's strictly scheduled.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:12 pm

Has anybody else been playing the beta? I've been having a blast, especially since I bought the dual photon torpedos and composite armor for my Scythe. I've been eating Liberators and Galaxies for breakfast, which is a nice change of pace. I'll have to enjoy it while I can since a character wipe is coming sometime this week.

Delphis
Gerbil In Training

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:17 pm

So the game is $40, for one month of play? .. seems pretty steep

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:53 pm

Delphis wrote:
So the game is $40, for one month of play? .. seems pretty steep

I'm guessing that you saw the the Alpha Squad package ad on the front page. Buying the Alpha Squad package gives you 4000 Station Cash (which costs $40 by itself), immediate access to the beta, as well as several weapons and camouflages when the game launches. However, you don't have to buy it. I already had access to the tech. test and beta, but I went ahead and bought it since I wanted to help support a game that I've been dying to play for nearly 8 years.

The game is completely free-to-play, and when the game launches, there will be optional micro-transactions. When I say optional, I mean that you can either pony up real money (via Station Cash), or save up Auraxium (in-game currency earned by killing enemies, capturing territory, etc.) to buy those items. Everything that can be bought with real money can be bought with Auraxium. It's been said repeatedly that Planetside 2 is free-to-play, not pay-to-win (a la Tribes: Ascend), and I agree. The game will ultimately come down to skill. Just because you have the most expensive weapon in the game doesn't mean you know how to use it properly.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Dizik wrote:
Has anybody else been playing the beta? I've been having a blast, especially since I bought the dual photon torpedos and composite armor for my Scythe. I've been eating Liberators and Galaxies for breakfast, which is a nice change of pace. I'll have to enjoy it while I can since a character wipe is coming sometime this week.

I did, and it was kinda fun... until they put a 30 min timer on "instant action" (which STILL was dropping you at a random locations, not necessarily where you actually wanted to be dropped). That made traveling insanely annoying (I don't like driving/piloting in this game because of annoying vehicle controls, and I don't like waiting for Galaxy "shuttles"), and so I quit playing it.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:16 pm

JohnC wrote:
I did, and it was kinda fun... until they put a 30 min timer on "instant action" (which STILL was dropping you at a random locations, not necessarily where you actually wanted to be dropped). That made traveling insanely annoying (I don't like driving/piloting in this game because of annoying vehicle controls, and I don't like waiting for Galaxy "shuttles"), and so I quit playing it.
Planetside 2, and Planetside 1 for that matter, is not your run-of-the-mill FPS. It is very dependent on teamwork, and the maps are really damn big. If you don't like driving, flying, or hitching a ride, then the game is not for you.

As far as the instant action option, the 30 minute timer is essential as it prevents everybody from warping across the map constantly, essentially creating a zerg of drop pods. In regards to it dropping you in the wrong location, well...it's a beta. ;) What was it about the vehicle controls that you don't like?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Dizik wrote:
It is very dependent on teamwork

...oh look, a mandatory "blah, blah, blah, teamwork, you MUST play the game ONE way or not play at all regardless if you actually like that way" response :roll:

Dizik wrote:
As far as the instant action option, the 30 minute timer is essential as it prevents everybody from warping across the map constantly, essentially creating a zerg of drop pods.

Is that a bad thing? Having more overall "action" in many locations because of easy accessibility through non-timed drop pods? And please don't tell me that "it makes it impossible for defending side to defend the objects", because it's not true - a well-organized defense can hold any large location indefinitely, regardless of all the futile attempts of drop pod or Galaxy "spam" by other factions, I've seen that happen (before the idiotic 30 minute timer), and it was FUN participating in such large, heavy action fights. After this idiotic timer (and I've also heard they are planning to heavily modify spawning abilities of Galaxies, to reduce their functionality even further) I've seen MUCH less overall "action" on all the beta servers, and a LOT more people who are just now "idling" at the Warpgate area.

Dizik wrote:
What was it about the vehicle controls that you don't like?

I don't know, they just feel... wrong. Not very responsive and "forgiving", especially on flying vehicles. I understand that they might be intentionally made that way, but that still doesn't make me like them.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:27 pm

...since the beta became boring for me (30 min timers for drop pods), I decided to just screw around today, see which "unusual" things I might be able to do... Quickly discovered that even though the main "Warpgate" faction spawn point is protected by concrete blocks (to prevent people from driving the vehicles right next to spawn point exit), I could still drive just about every land vehicle right next to the building exit of that spawn point. Also quickly discovered that some vehicles (for example, Sunderer and Prowler) can actually BLOCK that spawn point's exit, and that most people are too dumb to take stairs and use the upper exit :wink: And that I could drive the ATV vehicles right through the doors and into the spawn point building, and if I can "park" it inside the "spawn tubes", it makes it very hard for respawned people to get out of thoes "tubes" :wink: And that even if you "teamkill" lots of people and your weapons are locked out - you can continue TK'ing with vehicles without limitation! Lots of hilarity ensued :D Of course, I did report all those "findings" using "bug report" feature (and I'm sure the people who got mad at me did the same :wink: ), let's hope there will be some fixes, like not allowing land vehicles be driven right to the exit of "Warpgate" spawn points, or instead of locking out your weapons (if you TK a lot of your teammates) - you get a kick and an automatic temporary ban.
P.S: B.t.w, this example (even though all those issues will probably be fixed later) also shows why putting any kind of timer on "instant action" drop pods to FORCE people to rely on static spawnpoints is BAD :P

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Hey guys, over the last two or three weeks I've probably logged about 6 hours on the game. Theyre making some good updates already, and the gameplay has gotten a lot more interesting over the last few weeks. Biggest complaint is that it takes forever to get the anti vehicle rocket launcher, which is as necessary in this as it is in battlefield. As soon as a tank rolls up, you basically have to pray you have your own tanks on the way or that someone has less of a life than you and managed to snag a launcher. The anti tank mines appear to be almost impossible to use. The roads are so wide open, there are few practical places for the mines. Also, base battles last ~5-20 minutes and when you run around dropping mines you're a prime target. So laying mines ahead of time is difficult.

I'd like to point out... this game is way more fun at lan parties. There are still lots of bugs, some of them are bad enough to make the game wear on you after a few hours, but most games do anyways. We eventually ended up QWOPping and watching youtubes of that blue guy who trolls in real life. But back to the main point, it's a blast when you can get some buds together and play in the same room.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:21 pm

WTF this game is still in closed beta? Still? By the time it comes out people would be already bored of it. I thought that beta nowadays is more like the demos you used to get in the past but they would show you a buggier version, allegedly, than the final version of the game. Betas shouldn't last this long, it's ridiculous.