Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Chame
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

My PC powers on for a second and goes into a reboot loop.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:54 am

I've had this computer for over a year and it's worked wonderfully until today when a blow dryer was running in conjuction with my air conditioners and created a power outage my room.

I'll post my specs just in case it'd help:
http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/Public ... r=11305929

After fixing the power to my room, my computer now powers on for less than a second and then shuts off every few seconds and then keeps doing it until I power off the PSU/power cord. There's no beeps or anything aside from the standard startup sound and the fan powering on.

I don't know what to do from here. I have a spare PSU but it's lacking a bit of details (Wattage, mainly) so I'm afraid to use it in case it can cause further damage.

Does this situation immediately point out the offender in my computer? What troubleshooting should I do from this point?

rhianlopez
Gerbil In Training

Re: My PC powers on for a second and goes into a reboot loop

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Try to have general clean up of your CPU, especially the heat sink and the fan. Dust might have settle in there that's why no air is coming in to cool of your cpu causing it malfunction/restart in a loop. If this will not work, check the system BIOS if all the system drivers are working perfectly and are upto date. Try also the solution on this link http://www.techyv.com/questions/windows ... restarting

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Chame wrote:
I've had this computer for over a year and it's worked wonderfully until today when a blow dryer was running in conjuction with my air conditioners and created a power outage my room.

I'll post my specs just in case it'd help:
http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/Public ... r=11305929

After fixing the power to my room, my computer now powers on for less than a second and then shuts off every few seconds and then keeps doing it until I power off the PSU/power cord. There's no beeps or anything aside from the standard startup sound and the fan powering on.

I don't know what to do from here. I have a spare PSU but it's lacking a bit of details (Wattage, mainly) so I'm afraid to use it in case it can cause further damage.

Does this situation immediately point out the offender in my computer? What troubleshooting should I do from this point?

Try taking the PSU out and see if it will start up using a paperclip.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

muontrack
Gerbil

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 pm

I actually had this problem for several months. It could come on at any time (and I guess your power outage might have been the last straw), but first I have to ask: did you overclock your cpu? Gigabyte boards are actually notorious for this boot cycle problem (EDIT: especially when the cpu is overclocked. I see you have a 2500K - it wouldn't be a stretch to think that you overclocked it).

In my case, disabling PLL overvoltage in the BIOS cures this problem, but it doesn't work for everybody. It's something to try until you give us more details. The only reason I posted is because I noticed you have a GA board and some googling reveals that boot cycling is not uncommon with that particular series.

BehemothJackal
Gerbil

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:58 pm

I had the same issue before. Turned out to be faulty RAM for me.

td1353l
Gerbil

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:55 pm

yup, total black screen or boot loop b4 it even runs, i stare down my ram first too.