Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Wow, that was unexpected...

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:53 am

After automatic update on Linux, Skype is no longer beta, and the version number is 4.x

I thought it will be ditched on Linux after Microsoft acquired Skype.
Last edited by Madman on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Wow, that was unexpected...

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:27 am

I was really surprised when my version updated too.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:47 am

Madman wrote:
I thought it will be ditched on Linux after Microsoft acquisited Skype.

I did an interwebs search and while I see some other places use "acquisited", that's not referenced in any dictionary that I know of. I think you mean "acquired" or "Skype was acquisitioned by Microsoft" instead.

If there's a specific financial term that's defined somewhere, please provide it as I am curious.

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:00 am

Scrotos wrote:
Madman wrote:

I did an interwebs search and while I see some other places use "acquisited", that's not referenced in any dictionary that I know of. I think you mean "acquired" or "Skype was acquisitioned by Microsoft" instead.

If there's a specific financial term that's defined somewhere, please provide it as I am curious.

Probably my mistake, since English is not my native language. Somehow I remembered this word being used in such circumstances, and it didn't tripped the FF spelling checker.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:17 pm

I have a mate who works for skype, was out drinking with him and he seemed unmoved about the MS acquisition. So seems that the claws don't run too deep... yet.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:58 pm

Madman wrote:
Scrotos wrote:
Madman wrote:

Probably my mistake, since English is not my native language. Somehow I remembered this word being used in such circumstances, and it didn't tripped the FF spelling checker.

Ok, no worries. I was just curious. Your English is way better than my Latvian so it's hard to really fault ya!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Madman wrote:
Scrotos wrote:
Madman wrote:

FF's spellchecker sucks. Use Microsoft Word, it works better. For example, it would tell you that you used word "tripped" incorrectly in your last sentence and instead would suggest you to use "trip".
P.S: No, English is also not my native language :-P
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people