Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

ASUS VS239H-P IPS vs Dell U2312HM IPS

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:09 am

I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the ASUS VS239H-P http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236288 vs Dell U2312HM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055 monitors. Both monitors are IPS monitors and have good ratings on Newegg (though the ASUS only has 5 ratings so far). The Dell has some better features such as the ability to swivel and the USB hub but it seems to be going up in price on Newegg (now at $260) while the ASUS is at $190. Plus the ASUS has a $20 gift card available now so that would drop the price down to about $170 and it has free shipping. So it looks like the Dell is about $269 vs $170 for the ASUS when you consider shipping. At that savings I might be willing to give up the extra features of the Dell if the ASUS monitor is of equal quality and has a low input lag (which I know the Dell has.)

Jakubgt
Gerbil First Class

Re: ASUS VS239H-P IPS vs Dell U2312HM IPS

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:21 pm

Why not pay a bit more and get a Korean 27" 2K led monitor?
Hello world.

Rand
Gerbil

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:47 am

Jakubgt wrote:
Why not pay a bit more and get a Korean 27" 2K led monitor?

Personally I'd have a lot more faith in the image quality, and trouble free operation of either of the above then some random Korean model of unknown make. you're also sacrificing features relative to the Dell, some of which are very valuable depending on personal usage.
I'd sacrifice in size/resolution to get something I know I'd be happy with, and I know will work, and work very well.

In any case, I have the U2312HM and can answer any queries specifically about it. I've been very happy with it.
I've never seen or used the Asus model though, so I can't comment there.

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:36 am

Jakubgt, Rand, you guys replied to a spammer necro :)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:57 pm

Hmm, sounds like Morphine is referring to me as a spammer necro. Not sure what to think of that. I am a fan of The Walking Dead but not so much of spammers. In any case I ruled out the VS239H-P but the new ASUS PB238Q looks pretty nice. In terms of features there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 238Q and the 2312 other than the 238Q adding in HDMI. My only question about the 238Q is how well ASUS will support it if there is a problem. I've noticed a few people complain about the RMA process but that wasn't with models that supported their ... umm. ARR process (which is where they cross ship a replacement monitor.)

You know what struck me as strange is that the Dell is now the same price if you compare the price on the Dell web site for the 2312 vs the PB238Q price on Amazon or Newegg. So it's a wash as far as prices go.

Rand, did you have any issues with light leakage from the backlight or that glow that I've seen some people talk about from the bottom or sides of the screen when showing an all black image. That seems to be the only real complaint I've seen from users of the Dell 2312.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:11 pm

nanoflower wrote:
Hmm, sounds like Morphine is referring to me as a spammer necro. Not sure what to think of that. I am a fan of The Walking Dead but not so much of spammers.

Once there was a spammer, spammy most
And once he made a terrible post
Since that era, it's been deleted
And the pesty post is now toast

Since the banhammer was used
Some users are confused
For spammy spammers they feel taken
But they are merely mistaken.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Rand
Gerbil

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:47 pm

nanoflower wrote:
Hmm, sounds like Morphine is referring to me as a spammer necro. Not sure what to think of that. I am a fan of The Walking Dead but not so much of spammers. In any case I ruled out the VS239H-P but the new ASUS PB238Q looks pretty nice. In terms of features there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 238Q and the 2312 other than the 238Q adding in HDMI. My only question about the 238Q is how well ASUS will support it if there is a problem. I've noticed a few people complain about the RMA process but that wasn't with models that supported their ... umm. ARR process (which is where they cross ship a replacement monitor.)

You know what struck me as strange is that the Dell is now the same price if you compare the price on the Dell web site for the 2312 vs the PB238Q price on Amazon or Newegg. So it's a wash as far as prices go.

Rand, did you have any issues with light leakage from the backlight or that glow that I've seen some people talk about from the bottom or sides of the screen when showing an all black image. That seems to be the only real complaint I've seen from users of the Dell 2312.

I've got a pair of 2312HM's. The first one has very faint glow in the bottom left corner, it hasn't really bothered me as it's only really visible on bootup otherwise I don't notice it at all even on pure black background. The second one doesn't exhibit any noticeable backlight leakage.