Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

Tue May 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Actually, for me the game was pretty solid up until the last lame 10 minutes where they started with the whole slomo-crap.

With regards to Legion/Tali, I think it pretty much was a shiny example in how earlier choices in ME2 affects the outcome. If you didnt save the general and saved tali from exile, she doesnt have the clout with your support to hinder the quarians from attacking, hence either Legion or Tali... or Both die in a bad way. In a paragon me2->me3 playthrough Legion still dies, but now in sacrifice just as Mordin(which could be saved, but only with renegade choices) and tali lives while geth and quarians make peace and start working together.

The choices with regards to wrex vs. reav also play through on both paragon and renegade sides

The lame part was the ending. And after reading a whole lot, it seems that it was some form of moneygrabbing scheme or something from that braindead casey hudson guy. All other writing was a collaborative effort, while the ending was a two man show from a locked closet. And what happened therein isnt widely said, except that there was no external input from the rest of the writers.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/5695 ... al-ending/
Also - massive spoilers in the link if you havent finished it.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Krogoth wrote:
It is quite clear that ending was rushed to meet EA's dead-line for the start of their fiscal quarter. It look like Bioware intended on doing something more with the Crucible and Citadel connection. It is quite possible that "Keepers" were meant to be the real masters behind the Reapers. The Illusive Man (heavily subverted by Reaper-tech) was going to staged to as a boss battle. Bioware opted for star child wannabe + space magic ending as a quick fix. They use one of the original endings as a template (probably "Renegade" ending), just copy + paste key elements and change the colors around to save time and money.

yeah my thoughts exactly no secret magic behind why all the plot holes and stuff exist.

the 3 near identical core endings with basically different tints really spoil it.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Actually, for me the game was pretty solid up until the last lame 10 minutes where they started with the whole slomo-crap.

With regards to Legion/Tali, I think it pretty much was a shiny example in how earlier choices in ME2 affects the outcome. If you didnt save the general and saved tali from exile, she doesnt have the clout with your support to hinder the quarians from attacking, hence either Legion or Tali... or Both die in a bad way. In a paragon me2->me3 playthrough Legion still dies, but now in sacrifice just as Mordin(which could be saved, but only with renegade choices) and tali lives while geth and quarians make peace and start working together.

The choices with regards to wrex vs. reav also play through on both paragon and renegade sides

The lame part was the ending. And after reading a whole lot, it seems that it was some form of moneygrabbing scheme or something from that braindead casey hudson guy. All other writing was a collaborative effort, while the ending was a two man show from a locked closet. And what happened therein isnt widely said, except that there was no external input from the rest of the writers.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/5695 ... al-ending/
Also - massive spoilers in the link if you havent finished it.

The legion/tali thing literally doesn't play well or feel plausible there is just a bunch of shenanigans. I had done all but one arbitrary thing... It doesn't feel plausible when it all goes down. I know they say its a result of this or that but it doesn't matter if it doesn't gel with all of what is going on. What with the normandy's cyber warfare suite being more powerful than most of the networks in that conflict why not bounce the code to edi to distribute, why didn't edi step in and do jack when we know she is really potent on that front. Forget Tali's legitimacy... Sitting in that moment it all seems contrived and melodramatic.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Yeah, I heard that as well from my contact at BioWare. I can't vouch for the author of the post you linked to, but it follows what I've heard about the process and how it went wrong.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 09, 2012 10:37 am

Darkmage wrote:
Aphasia wrote:
Yeah, I heard that as well from my contact at BioWare. I can't vouch for the author of the post you linked to, but it follows what I've heard about the process and how it went wrong.

It makes sense. Kinda explains the near complete disconnect between the core game and the end.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:04 am

Mass Effect 3 is just $30 at Newegg this week.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Just finished Extended Cut. Having known that the other endings would be posted somewhere, and not really caring in the first place, I chose to tell that stupid AI to shove his ultimatum where the sun don't shine. I really just wanted an excuse to play through those ridicuolus final battles.

Still really PO'd about the ending in the first place. It blows my mind how they can make three HUGE games full of great writing, and end it all with that pile of crap.
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:49 pm

I didn't even bother to download the "extended endings" - they are all available to view on YouTube... The endings didn't change, Bioware just added in extra fluff to existing ones so they could just say "See??? We like our fans so, so much that we did CHANGES, for FREE, to a final game long after the game's release!!!! But haters gonna hate us anyway!!!111".
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:36 am

JohnC wrote:
I didn't even bother to download the "extended endings" - they are all available to view on YouTube... The endings didn't change, Bioware just added in extra fluff to existing ones so they could just say "See??? We like our fans so, so much that we did CHANGES, for FREE, to a final game long after the game's release!!!! But haters gonna hate us anyway!!!111".

You know, I said when this DLC was first announced that it was going to come too little, too late. No real way around it, but it was clear that Mass Effect 3 was going to be the example of how NOT to end your game.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:58 pm

New single player DLC. I'm moderately excited. Despite those stupid endings, the gameplay leading up to them was a blast and I wouldn't mind some more of that.

In other news, ME3 will be a launch title for the Wii U... :roll:
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:09 am

The new ending just shows that they don't understand their own property or what gamers didn't like about it originally.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:30 am

My beef with the endings has always been the fact they're from Deus Ex. The claim of artistic integrity when they're snarfing other writers endings is shocking.

I know Picasso said good artists copy and great artists steal, but I can't help but be a underwhelmed that they had to steal some other games ending.

That the endings clashed against themes in the game is a secondary problem that illustrates it wasn't even a good theft.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:24 am

Just to clarify in case you guys were responding to my post, I wasn't linking to Extended Cut. This is brand new paid DLC that adds new planets and missions based around the ”Leviathan,” whatever that is.

evilpaul
Gerbil

Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:42 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
My beef with the endings has always been the fact they're from Deus Ex. The claim of artistic integrity when they're snarfing other writers endings is shocking.

I know Picasso said good artists copy and great artists steal, but I can't help but be a underwhelmed that they had to steal some other games ending.

That the endings clashed against themes in the game is a secondary problem that illustrates it wasn't even a good theft.
I'm assuming you're referring to the first Deus Ex game which I played waaay back when it came out and had a pick one of three things at the end. (I haven't played Human Revolution.) I think it's an unfair comparison though.

First, in the original endings which on a 1-10 scale I'd give a 2: The red Destroy ending was basically what you've been trying to do all along. And aside from the walking into the explosion, which seems like a Final Fantasy 4-esque needless self-sacrifice, was OKish. The bizzarre plot wholes and lore contradictions were still terrible, of course. And they were in all three endings. The blue Control ending I'm not sure why they woulc expect anyone to take...it's kind of what you were trying to stop (along with stopping the Reapers) all game long. The green Synthesis ending was weird, never forshadowed, from out of Left Field, didn't really make much sense, and was never explained.

Second, I think the Extended Cut DLC endings were vastly improved and, if you can get over being soured by the original endings, I'd say they got bumped up to an 8: The red Destroy ending's problems originally where in after the blast from Harbinger with the radio chatter ("The force was decimated!" i.e. 100% casualties is not what "decimated" means) not following what was happening on-screen, Anderson arriving before Shepard, Hackett knowing where Shepard+Anderson were, and then everything after blowing up the red pipe thing. Thematically, I don't think it had many problems. It basically just shared the common problems the other two had.

The blue Control ending with the added explaination of things from the Star Child AI and fixing the share endings problems I actually liked. With the added explaination you find out that Shepard sacrifices her life, is reborn as an AI, controls the Reapers, and protects everyone forever. I liked it.

The green Synthesis ending still doesn't make much sense, but they expanded it a lot and showed the implications. They showed a lot more of the implications of the combining of Sythetic and Organic life into a new evolved form (which, like I said, doesn't make much sense but work with me here). There was no longer that perceived Creator Created potential conflict the Reapers helped rebuild and lived in peace with the other species and shared their vast knowledge of the culture and technologies of millions of species that had been harvested and given Reaper form. Which for a game as bleak as Mass Effect 3 was is kind of heartwarming/happy.

One of the few things I liked about the original endings was that charge across No Man's Land. The Extended Cut DLC made that even better. It was more cinematic with cutscenes spliced in. Garrus, who I really like a lot, was wounded badly, and it was explained why Joker and your squadmates where on the Normandy for his emergency evac.

Basically, it's still not perfect, and there are a few things I still don't like about it, but I think they "fixed" the ending.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:

I thought the endings had more in common with Deus Ex 2 than the original game.

Synthesis = Apostlecorp ending.

Control = Illuminati ending. (Moreso here, because the New World Order was being controlled by "AI" guised as the "invisible hand" like God-Emperor Shepard)

Destroy = Knights Templar ending.

Refusal = Omar Ending.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:31 pm

Anybody else get a chance to grab Leviathan DLC?
It provides the background on Reapers and their origins.

Leviathans were the creators of the Catalyst AI a.k.a Starchild as a solution to the whole organics/synthetics problem. The Catalyst AI betrayed the Leviathans and create a synthetic version of the Leviathans, the Reapers.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

LostCat

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:05 am

Any of you guys playing multi?

I almost never do with FPSes, but I haven't been able to stop on this one.
Meow.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 am

From time to time I play a whole lot, and usually try to eek out every weekend op. Although I'm in europe so that might not mean that much if you were looking for somebody to play with.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:45 am

I'm in the multiplayer game rather often.

N7HQ RyuConnor

If you're a PC gamer feel free to add me to Origin.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

LostCat

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:47 am

I've seen you around, though I'm not sure my connection was agreeable at the time

(DSL lines going in now, but they haven't dug to my house yet.)

SavagePaladin :)
Meow.

LostCat

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Holy crap getting both the Volus Engineer and Volus Adept training in my pack is just sick and wrong :lol:
Meow.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:04 am

In case you missed it, the final DLC for Mass Effect 3 dropped last week. I finished it this weekend and it's... hilarious.

No, seriously! There's a great sequence where you're fighting your way through some of the back alleys of the Citadel with your entire squad snarking at each other whilst you shoot things. It's great fun. Drinking games with Ashley include a great shout-out to a classic Sci-Fi movie. And you get to meet Blasto, the first Hanar Spectre!

I leave you with three words to pique your interest: Krogan Shower Scene.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

LostCat

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:24 pm

I got up to the part where I'm supposed to 'get ready for a party' and lost interest. It was fun, but I don't know if I'll ever finish it.
Meow.