Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

I hate being an insomniac.

Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:03 am

Once again, my body betrays me, and will not allow me to sleep. *Sigh* It's 5 am, and I'm 3 hours past my normal bedtime ( I'm a nite owl ) and I have to be up in 6 to 7 hours.

Slow sleep insomnia sucks, I take a long time to fall asleep, and if anything wakes me up in the early stages of sleep, it's neigh impossible to sleep again.

murray
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:14 am

I used to have it pretty badly - between having to get up at 6:30 and usually not falling asleep til 4:00, It majorly sucked. On the other hand, my Counterstrike skills received a major boost :D (of course, all that means is I got accused of cheating more often). I don't have as much of a problem with it anymore, but there isn't anything in specific I did for that to happen. Various things that seemed to help though were working out or running a room fan for the quasi-soothing hum (black label Deltas do not work for this :P). I also sleep much better when it's cool rather than warm, and unfortunately live in Austin. Have you noticed any correlation between temperature and sleep trouble?

edit- random grammar mischief
Last edited by murray on Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:31 am

It could be worse. When I was young and actually had a social life, I trained my body to make do with 4 hours / night. After 20 years of that, I built up a major sleep deficit, and when I try to catch up on my sleep I wake up in exactly 4 hours anyway...
You are false data.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:06 pm

Ugh. Speed, this is very much like what I did to myself. I get around 5 hours of sleep, and then try to catch up on weekends. But it is only sometimes successful. Sometimes I just wake up early, and I can't sleep any more. I suppose if I were more wise, I'd spend months and months trying to extend my sleep hours, but I've got too many things I'd rather do instead. 8)

P.S. The clock is wrong, again. My profile is as it's been since I corrected it, but DST seems to have gone away.

Dissonance
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:53 pm

DiM, try working out. When I'm into heavy training, I never have a problem sleeping because I end up mentally and physically blitzed by the end of the day and so grateful that I finally get to lie down that I'm out in 5 minutes flat.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:17 pm

I forgot to mention that ever since I quit my 9-5 job I've been living on Internet time. It doesn't matter when I'm awake anymore, so I sleep whenever I want to. I do my work at my own pace, and if I feel tired I just go to sleep. It does wonders for alertness!
You are false data.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:48 pm

That I'd like.. Be able to work from home, at a pace that's comfortable.

Lucky guy Speed. Lucky guy. :)

element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:17 am

My friend used to train his body to sleep as less as possible. He even stayed awake for 36 hours once as an experiment. The cool thing about it was that I could call him whenever I wanted, he was always awake anyway :-)
It happened I called him at 01:00 or 02:00 hour, no problem at all. The disadvantage was that he usually slept during the day till the afternoon. So if I tried to call him then, I usually woke him :D
"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image." -- Stephen Hawking

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:17 am

I have this problem, but I know what causes it:

Disturbances in my pattern, usually terms ending will knock my body off it's perch :-)

It happened recently, and I was sitting there until 4:30 one night and had to find some way to stop it...

My folks' alarm went off at that point, it normally goes off at 5:30 but they haven't yet changed it to account for daylight saving (or whatever it is)

Have found two mini-cures for this though:

1) Read a book that you've already read before. I've read a series of Tom Clancy books (Net Force if ur interested) about 4 times now, and have started again. Using this method I have got the time back to 1:30 recently.

2) This is a last ditch method that I used a while back when the times I got to sleep got up to the 4:30 mark or so... Don't go to sleep... The idea is to stay awake that night and the rest of the day until an hour or two before you want to go to bed (be careful of that, you'll want to go to bed all day :lol: ) and then go to bed as normal.

You will go off like a light, guarenteed :-), and sleeping pattern should resume to within a few hours of when you went to sleep,

If that doesn't work, try it again :lol: ,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

Density Duck
Gerbil

Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:45 pm

IntelMole wrote:
Don't go to sleep...

That always seems to work for me ... LAN parties never screw me up because I manage to get back on track that way. :D