Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

armadylan
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Need help with a USB 3.0 router pick.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Hello all,
I have recently bought a WD external essential 3 tb drive. It's a 3.0, and i figured It was due time to upgrade my router anyways so I thought I would go with a router with a 3.0 usb drive. I have used external drives on 2.0 routers before and it wasn't plausible then, but since I have the drive already, I thought I might as well buy a router with 3.0 and give it a shot.

Most of my searches brought me to the Dlink DIR 865. I am turned off of this model because it apparently only supports drives up to 500g. The closest I have been able to find that is 3.0, is the RT-n65U http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6833320131. I found this chart that shows it should support up to 2 g. http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/

Can anyone make a better suggestion? I would like to fully utilize the 3tb I have. but I guess the r65u will do if I can't find anything better.

Thanks,
Dylan

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Re: Need help with a USB 3.0 router pick.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:22 am

Nothing specific, but most of the routers I've read about just don't have the horsepower to act as a NAS, so performance suffers a lot. I'd definitely look specifically at people who have used the USB ports for information before committing.

armadylan
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:32 am

Hmmm,
As a secondary thought, what is the fastest wireless read/write speeds someone has got on an external hd attached to a router? I wasn't expecting miracles with 3.0, I just figured if I was going to buy a new router anyway, i should aim for the 3.0 slot considering I won't upgrade it again for another 2 years. Has anyone had experience with usb 3.0 on a router?

Omniman
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:51 am

I was thinking you could go with the WD router that has the hard drive built into it.
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Well, you could go with this n65u model since it does have USB 3.0 ports, but as a router it's not really the best model - for example, RT-N66U has more powerful hardware, more RAM and external antennas which seem to provide better wireless coverage... But, it only has USB 2.0 ports... Asus really is unpredictable/irrational in terms of spreading various features across the different models :-/ Personally I went with RT-N66U, as I have no need to use its USB ports (I already have network printer and an external NAS with RAID1), and as a router it works better (better range) than any other model from Dlink or Netgear or Linksys/Cisco that I've tried.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

armadylan
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:12 pm

I was really hoping there would be higher end routers with 3.0 ports. The n65u looks the best to me so far, but I am really disappointed it does not have the specs of the rt-n66u. Thanks for everyones input so far!