Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

notfred
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

RIP Martin Fleischmann

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Martin Fleischmann, who reported discovering cold fusion with Stanley Pons, has died:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/08/07/sci-fleischmann-dead.html

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: RIP Martin Fleischmann

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:55 am

Reporting something that didn't happen is his claim to science? Hmm.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:01 am

He was a well-respected chemist as well. The Cold Fusion stuff came later.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:52 am

He made cold fusion happen in a jar once. Neither he nor anyone else on the planet could reproduce his experiment. I'm going to call BS.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

CityEater
Gerbil

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:07 am

There's a good doco about this, looking at others claims of cold fusion as well. He's an interesting guy, wish I could remember the title of the doco. Did they ever recant their findings or did he stick to his guns?

Funny the obits that turn up on tech report...

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:17 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
He made cold fusion happen in a jar once. Neither he nor anyone else on the planet could reproduce his experiment. I'm going to call BS.

What a brave position for you to take up.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:20 am

It's still real to me, darnit!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:27 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:

What a brave position for you to take up.

Not really, part of being a proper scientist is documenting your work.
He may have been a genius but if he'd been documenting it properly he may have been taken more seriously.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Nobody respects cold fusion, and nobody here was defending it or him. So why you decided to bring up that cold fusion is unlikely is totally beyond me. It's like walking into Congress and saying that America is good. It adds nothing to the discussion and it's hardly a controversial stance.
Krogoth wrote:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Man, I loved his Fleischmann's-brand spreads. Particularly those flavored with sea salt.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:03 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
Nobody respects cold fusion, and nobody here was defending it or him. So why you decided to bring up that cold fusion is unlikely is totally beyond me. It's like walking into Congress and saying that America is good. It adds nothing to the discussion and it's hardly a controversial stance.

Actually, it's more like somebody mentioning Stanley Kubrick and someone else replying "Oh, you mean that pervert who made a film version of Lolita?" when you preferred to talk about 2001.

Like it or not, people are sometimes remembered for their most infamous work(s). Also, the OP brought up the cold fusion.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:05 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Man, I loved his Fleischmann's-brand spreads. Particularly those flavored with sea salt.

It works great in 'fusion' cooking. :D

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:46 am

grantmeaname wrote:
why you decided to bring up that cold fusion is unlikely is totally beyond me

The OP's flavour text for this thread states only two things about him:

1. He reported discovering cold fusion
  2. He has died
I am briging it up for very obvious reasons: It is both topical and my opinion that he did not, in fact, discover cold fusion.
If you can't handle that I suggest you find something else to do rather than being a douchebag in this thread. Did I hurt your feelings in some way with my earlier posts? You seem to be offended by them.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 am

Well, yeah, but the other two posts before yours were to the same effect, that cold fusion didn't happen.

Sorry if it came off harsher than I intended, but I don't think it's fair to presume you knew exactly what I meant and my tone. I wasn't offended until you called me a douchebag. Whatever happened to family-friendly?

Now, there are deep scars on my psyche. :roll:
Krogoth wrote:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 am

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:37 am

ludi wrote:
grantmeaname wrote:

Actually, it's more like somebody mentioning Stanley Kubrick and someone else replying "Oh, you mean that pervert who made a film version of Lolita?" when you preferred to talk about 2001.

Like it or not, people are sometimes remembered for their most infamous work(s). Also, the OP brought up the cold fusion.

I did point out that he was a respected chemist. That's a defense of the man... but I was *not* defending cold fusion.

My take is that cold fusion doesn't exist, but that it wasn't an intentional hoax either; he *believed* his results, but they were ultimately due to some sort of experimental error.

@Chrispy - Please can the personal insults.

@grantmeaname - You started it, so you need to simmer down too. While some may consider it poor taste to criticize the work of someone who just died, your first reply to Chrispy_ was uncalled for.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:43 am

Yeah, sorry, I'll be good now. It wasn't my aim to start a fight.
Krogoth wrote:

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:00 am

Sorry, immediately on the defensive for obvious reasons.

Is d-bag not an acceptable word? I'm not native to the US but I thought it was an exceptionally mild word to use; I hear it all the time on TV shows that go out of their way to censor profanity (How I Met Your Mother, Community, etc).

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:13 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Is d-bag not an acceptable word?

It's a crude insult, for obvious reasons. When and how it was used would determine the kind of reaction you got, just like anything else. Lots of people here use the "eff" word casually, too, but it's not a recommended tactic for making friends in an unfamiliar room.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:44 am

It's all about how the word is intended and to whom it's directed. I find it way more irritating/offensive than a lot of the words that can't be used on TV.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:23 am

Right about the time he "discovered" cold fusion is about the same time a telephone tech knocked a microwave communications antenna askew while trying to have a chocolate snack. It just so happened to point at some person's house, heating up all manner of things that shouldn't be...

j/k, but hey, it could happen.