Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: What's a TechSling?

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:16 pm

drfish wrote:
I should emphasize that the new patterns are just me screwing around - they are not intended to become standard color options. :o The purple camo was actually just a sample of a new material weight and I happened to have purple webbing to make a matching harness.

What color did I send you druidcent? Would you like a different one? I can probably send a prototype with the divider/back-straps your way next week if you want to continue testing for us.

Coran, same question, which color do you already have or should I send a complete new unit with the divider/back-straps or just the tablet side?

Now that I think about it back-straps might mean late next week or even the week after since I used up all my samples already...

I've got the silver/dark grey color, which I really like. I'd be more than happy to test it again with the improvements on the divider/back-straps. I can send back the original one if you let me know where to send it.

druidcent

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:19 pm

idchafee wrote:
Sorry if this was answered, I skimmed the thread. Will this thing handle a laptop? When I take the motorcycle to work I have a backpack I put the laptop in, but this looks much more bike-friendly.

I found that this didn't fit under my winter motorcycle jacket, because the jacket is pretty snug around the sides. I'll try again now that I'm down to just the mesh for summer. If the tablet can swing around the back, it may work.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:28 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
I think they mentioned that they were thinking about an 11.6" Air/ultrabook compatible pocket. Or did I imagine that?

That's correct. I haven't made one for my Clevo W110ER yet - and I don't think I will. There really seems to be a practical limit to what's comfortable to tuck under your arm/carry the weight of even if my Clevo is only 11.6" itself.

I don't think returning the ones you already have will be necessary - the more I think about it I will probably just send completely new units except for the harness which hasn't changed (yet). Colors for the next round will probably all be the fluorescent combinations I posted or the blue/tan combo (possibly with a surprise bonus element).

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:51 pm

The back strap is win. For folks thinking laptops, there are already four attach points at the shoulders (strap/pack joint) and the lower sides (D-rings), just make a flat bag out of cloth and build up the four corners into loops. Integrate four carabiners and you're there, though I don't think the straps will sit cleanly with that much weight at the back.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

StrangeDay

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:40 am

grantmeaname wrote:
The plaid one is actually kinda tasteful, although I fear your plans for it on Tuesday may not be... :P

I love that pattern!

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:53 pm

We're at Tech Week Chicago, getting a lot of positive reactions (and a few puzzled stares). :wink:

A couple bits of press from the show:
http://www.firmology.com/2012/06/24/tec ... ek-series/
http://nibletz.com/2012/06/chicago-tech ... interview/

druidcent

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm confused.. what's that thing under the mannequin's left arm?? :)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:01 pm

druidcent wrote:
I'm confused.. what's that thing under the mannequin's left arm?? :)

Hey, some of us buy them just to get the day's crossword puzzle, Jumble, and sudoku.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:22 am

Actually its pretty interesting, a Chicago paper (not sure which one) had an article in it on Sunday about "Apple Picking" and the increase of theft reported to the CTA. It ended up being a great talking point at the show since the TechSling is a great concealer of your electronics.

AbRASiON

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:57 am

Techsling is something someone has mounted in his basement for his borg girlfriend, know what I'm sayin? Yo.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:18 pm

drfish wrote:
Colors for the next round will probably all be the fluorescent combinations I posted or the blue/tan combo (possibly with a surprise bonus element).

I can confirm the surprise bonus element will be included in the next round. :D It will also have the back-strap and the internal divider included (although those are still NOT standard features, I'm just looking for feedback).

This is who I am planning to send the next round to:

Coran Fixx - prototype 11.6" size
yuriylsh - prototype 11.6" size
druidcent - Standard size
Forge - Standard size
TheEmrys - prototype 7" size
Dposcorp - prototype 7" size

Thanks in advance for you help, I hope to send those out next week. 8)

StrangeDay

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:34 pm

It's awesome to see this project keep going. I still love mine.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:54 am

Well darn, it looks like when I said "next week" above I should have said "next month" because some of the clips I need for the back-strap are not in stock and my order won't arrive until at least the 31st. :(

I'll still have something cool to share later this week though. :D

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Check it out, someone noticed us! :)

That explains the 2,000 extra views on YouTube since yesterday. :lol:

Edit: Also this. We got a, "Shut up and take my money" - I'm so happy. :D

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Grats Drfish.......you just might have to expand your line to include the tech holster too, someone already asking if it holds a firearm. Good for possibly law enforcement and security,armed forces especially the air force.

Looks like you better design at least 2 gun holster pockets, right and left handed.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:01 pm

Look what arrived while I was on vacation!

The six people on my list above can expect their prototype TechSlings to be TR themed! They will be blue on the outside and tan on the inside with the TR logo embroidered on the lower front corner of the phone/accessory side. I got permission from Damage before I had them made but I want to be clear that this is NOT a Tech Report endorsed product - they were just kind enough to let me use the logo. However, while I can't sell them to you there should be 1-2 more up for grabs at the BBQ if you can make it. 8)

TheEmrys

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Pretty sweet. I'm liking the changes.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:04 pm

My main personal focus this week is making sure everything comes together for the BBQ but my main professional focus is getting TechSling prototypes* out to you guys! The components I was waiting for arrived late last week and I've got a couple people busy making the ones I'll send out in a couple days.

Just a reminder of the new stuff:
NEW Sizes - 11.6" and 7" compataible tablet side - tested with a mocked up MacBook Air & Nexus 7 respectively
Compartments in the zipper pocket
Detachable back strap
Ultrasonicly welded harness & webbing straps instead of sewn (cooler sounding and nicer looking)
Limitied Edition TR logo embroidered on the side! :D

* - just to make sure this is clear - these are not necessarily new features that will make it into the final product - they are being made exclusively for the TR community to stimulate conversation and get feedback.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:47 am

Shipping today! You should all get them tomorrow. :) Can't wait to hear what you think.

druidcent

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:58 am

Sweet! Thanks!

I'll start giving it a whirl when it arrives. Got a few trips planned over the next couple weeks too.

yuriylsh
Gerbil

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:47 pm

drfish wrote:
Shipping today! You should all get them tomorrow. :) Can't wait to hear what you think.

Sweet, thanks, the TR branding is a nice touch, I hope my Samsung Series 7 Slate will find itself comfortable in its new appartment :)
i5 [email protected] | Asus P8P67 PRO | 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | Radeon HD 7950 | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB| Antec Solo Black | CORSAIR 550VX | Dell 2407WFP-HC + Auria EQ276W

Dposcorp

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:11 am

Got some feedback from the prototype I picked up at the BBQ; not sure if these were given yet.

#1 Request was made for "suspender type clips" on the bottom of both side, which will not only allow you to secure the bottom to your belts or pants, but also to chose the secure point, so the the bottom can be secured near the front, middle or rear. I really like that idea; even better then the belt loops.

#2 request was for the next prototype be sent with a few different pouch sizes, that can be swapped in or out to the actual harness;
I was told people want to try it with the 5.3" Samsung Note as well as a 10" tablet, and swap-able pouches would do the trick.

Inkling
TR Staff

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:17 pm

drfish, what happened to the video??
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:39 pm

They made a small update to the to the video and reuploaded it. I forgot to change the link - until now! Thanks for reminding me.

Dp, didn't you get the 7" one I put in the mail? I thought you had brought it to the BBQ (sent t Ben's address). The Note fits in the zipper pocket but we don't have a plan to make a tablet side any smaller than the 7" model at this time. Regarding the clips I'll take a look around at some options and see what could work. I think that suspender style clips would necessitate replacing the webbing the d-rings are on with elastic - is that what you think too?

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:47 am

Any thoughts after having the prototypes for a week guys?

druidcent

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:00 pm

Was just getting ready to type up a response :)

1) I love the compartments in the zipper pocket.. I can now pull out my wallet or keys without pulling all the other stuff out as well..
2) The backstrap is great, it the swinging down and I feel subjectively there is less interference.
3) I don't know if it's because I've lost weight, or there was some subtle difference, but I can now tuck my tablet easily in the small of my back with my motorcycle jacket on.. This makes me very happy, since the zipper pocket side contours a bit to fit in on my side
4) Love the colors with the TR logo.. :)

I'll give more feedback over the next week or two, since I'm traveling then.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Awesome, I'm really glad you like the additions! :D Looking forward to reading further impressions.

TheEmrys

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:59 am

Got the new model. Love the TR theme!

Weight is better for my Kindle Fire.

However, here is my only frustration: My Fire doesn't fit with its case on it. To be honest, its handy enough that I took it out of its case, but just a bit more room would have been welcome.

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:24 am

Is it just the strap that needs to be longer? We've discussed making it out of elastic but haven't committed to that yet.
Last edited by drfish on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEmrys

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:06 pm

drfish wrote:
Is it just the strap that needs to be longer? We've discussed making it out of elastic but having committed to that yet.

Its actually a bit tight all the way around. I'll see if I can get you some better info. The black case is an Acase, the yellow is my wife's CaseCrown. The Acase is a much thicker and stout case. Both will set up in portrait mode. Neither will button. However, the CaseCrown sits much more comfortably in the pocket.

You can kind of see how far the Fire will go back into the pouch. The yellow CaseLogic is a nice fit. The Acase is just too snug.