Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Gigabyte Windforce 670 vs MSI GTX670 PE, which one?

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi, I have been all set on using GTX 670 FTW for my gaming desktop, then I read couple reviews on PE and were quite impressed as the same source that reviewed ASUS Top give PE a 9.7 to MSI PE(Top got a 10) http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/35829 ... r#t2699850

On Newegg.com those two are pretty close in price(with rebate PE is 405.99, FTW is 407.99) and similiar in basic stats(PE with +13MHz in stock clock) and I read a few reviews saying it overclocks better than other GTX670s and is quieter.

Help me pick one out of these two, and are either of these good enough for 120Hz monitor.

Edit: Didn't want to start a new topic or re-start my "Zombie Apocalypse" 105 post topic in SBA but something have changed so it have be discussed here:

1. EVGA GTX 670 FTW have been out of stock since Friday, and it have sold out once on Wednesday as well. It is highly likely that it will be out of stock when I purchase in 8-9 days.

2. I have settled on the Corsair 500R (now selling at $114.99 after rebate on newegg.com) over the Define R4 since I deem $5 for 2 more fan a good trade-off, the Open-air 500R(still have filters) favors Custom Cool GPU over the Blower FTX 670FTW.

So I am consider the980 core /1058 boost Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD(commonly known as 670 Windforce 3X) and the 1019 core/1079 Boost MSI N670 PE/OC. Both have reviewed(both customer and websites) to be cool and quiet, the Gigabyte slightly quieter while I see more MSI users report a 1.3Ghz stable OC vs Gigabyte user's 1.2 Ghz stable OC, the new update to MSI Afterburner 2.2.3 unlocked PE/OC's "triple overvolt' capability allowing it to surpass the original nvidia limit of 1.175V in OCing.

Which card should I choose?
Last edited by sherlock on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: EVGA GTX670 FTW vs MSI GTX670 PE, which one?

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:08 am

Personally I would go with EVGA... EVGA has a very good customer support (which I personally had to use couple of times), with various additional programs (like "Step-Up Program" or "Advanced RMA"). The MSI model might overclock better... or it might not, there's no guarantee about how far you can overclock each card :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:41 am

JohnC wrote:
Personally I would go with EVGA... EVGA has a very good customer support (which I personally had to use couple of times), with various additional programs (like "Step-Up Program" or "Advanced RMA"). The MSI model might overclock better... or it might not, there's no guarantee about how far you can overclock each card :wink:

I am feeling that way, I post a thread on whether my FTW could handle 120hz monitors and all replies I get is this guy trying to sell me on the MSI PE over the FTW, listing nothing but reviews covering PE only (FTW not included) and claim it overclock better and have less noise with no real evidence b/c FTW wasn't really reviewed anywhere. I will read some more review before I decided this but so far I prefer FTW b/c the fan/exhaust design(not dumping heat onto the MB like other custom fan models.

[SDG]Mantis
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:28 am

MSI's cooler design does a good job at keeping the card operating at lower temperatures with less noise than the EVGA cooler. I have had MSI cards in the past. About my only complaint is if you need to send them the card, they do not cross ship. (I have read about them sometimes doing this if you request it when they set up the RMA -- there is no clear option to request this during the RMA process.) EVGA does cross ship and clearly writes about it as an option on their web site.

That said, I had no real problems with the RMA process with MSI...though without cross shipping it took about two weeks for them to get my card (dead fan), check it in and send me a replacement.

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:30 am

[SDG]Mantis wrote:
MSI's cooler design does a good job at keeping the card operating at lower temperatures with less noise than the EVGA cooler. I have had MSI cards in the past. About my only complaint is if you need to send them the card, they do not cross ship. (I have read about them sometimes doing this if you request it when they set up the RMA -- there is no clear option to request this during the RMA process.) EVGA does cross ship and clearly writes about it as an option on their web site.

That said, I had no real problems with the RMA process with MSI...though without cross shipping it took about two weeks for them to get my card (dead fan), check it in and send me a replacement.

Could you direct me to some MSI N670 PE reviews, I have heard a lot good things about it as the best beside ASUS DC2T which is sold out everywhere. The only concern I currently have is I heard these factory fans dump heat inside the CPU in all directions unlike the FTW which seem to direct heat directly to the exhaust.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:34 am

sherlock wrote:
[SDG]Mantis wrote:

Could you direct me to some MSI N670 PE reviews, I have heard a lot good things about it as the best beside ASUS DC2T which is sold out everywhere. The only concern I currently have is I heard these factory fans dump heat inside the CPU in all directions unlike the FTW which seem to direct heat directly to the exhaust.

LMGTFY Meet Google
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 am

First of all, I suggest the MSI card. I have an MSI card and couldn't be happier. I should say the only EVGA card I ever owned was problem free as well.

Second, Sherlock, we understand that you're trying to build a new computer and get answers for a lot of different questions, but one thread in system builders anonymous could be used to answer all those questions. Creating a new thread for every question you have may not be the best way to go about it. I promise, people will still see it and you'll get responses. People like "new build" threads here.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:56 am

DancinJack wrote:
Second, Sherlock, we understand that you're trying to build a new computer and get answers for a lot of different questions, but one thread in system builders anonymous could be used to answer all those questions. Creating a new thread for every question you have may not be the best way to go about it. I promise, people will still see it and you'll get responses. People like "new build" threads here.

QFT

The other thing that goes along with that is that any change you make to a substatial build will have a different affect depending on the rest of hardware. If your GPU is bottlenecked, investing in the biggest and baddest CPU out there probably won't get the results you want. If you're sticking with a 1620x1050 monitor, you won't need a beastly GPU to drive it. And if you're on a budget, spending more money on one compoent can often mean you have to make a trim elsewhere to stay in budget.

Keep your components together and it is much easier to evaluate things.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:38 pm

It doesn't matter which brand of the same gpu you get, as long as you pick a quality brand. That being said, I've even had good experiences with the cheap brands. And yeah, use System Builders Anonymous.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:26 pm

Evga , not that MSi is bad at all just like others have said evga has step up program and easier cust support.
Both my EVGA 560 ti SClocks break 1ghz with a reference design and cooler and they are quiet until heavy loading. Plsu they have been running at 950mhz core 24/7 for 1.5 years no problems here.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:05 pm

I've got the EVGA GTX670 FTW card and I have absolutely no complaints. It's fan is very quiet and I don't hear it over normal background noise from outside.
i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz | Gigabyte Gaming-5 | GTX 980 4GB | 4x8 (32GB) DDR4-2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 1x 3TB WD Green HDD

theadder
Gerbil

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:09 pm

I'd also suggest EVGA. The customer service is very good and the last time that I checked the warranty was the best available.

sherlock
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Gigabyte Windforce 670 vs MSI GTX670 PE, which one?

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Update: restarted because 670 FTW have been out of stock on newegg and a case change now favors the custom cooler GPU over the blower GPU.