Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Power company meters with GSM/3G/etc capability

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:08 am

So for a project my other work is doing, we're trying to find out the following:

One or more brands of power meters with GSM/3G/whatever capabilities, to allow for remote monitoring/billing. Anybody know any brands/models, and has any insight on this?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Power company meters with GSM/3G/etc capability

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:23 am

My ex used to work at a company called Itron, and their meters have wireless capability, using the Zigbee protocol. They might have other models that support other types of wireless communication.

https://itron.com/na/productsAndService ... lectricity
i5-9600K · Z390 Aorus Pro · 16GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 · MSI TwinFrozr HD7850 · Intel 760p 512GB · WD 1TB · HP ZR24w · Corsair VX450 · Antec Solo · Win10/Ubuntu 18.10

mnecaise
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:51 am

Unless you have some concession with your wireless provider, maintaining all those GSM network devices is going to cost a small fortune in fees. If you don't need real-time monitoring, what I'd recommend is to use meters with Zigbee or some other similar rf instrumentation network protocol and concatenate the data at a neighborhood gateway, where the data is then uplinked to the host site. You could use GSM there, if you want.

We do something similar in one of our products, using a 900MHz radio to uplink telemetry data to a gateway device. The gateway can connect to the servers using either CDMA or GSM radios; but, it has an ethernet port if we want to hardwire it to a server. With the right radio, you could conceivably collect data from several square kilometers using one well placed gateway.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 am

Hmmm...I've seen a number of automatic meter-reading systems that used Power Line Carrier. Is something like this what you're after? They have a German office so I assume they support some European standards in addition to their North American solutions.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration