Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Is this proposal reasonable?

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Hey guys,

I have no idea what the world of web platform/solution providing is like so when a friend asked me whether a quote he got for a restaurant ordering platform was reasonable, I had no idea. I figured there must be somebody on TR that had some experience in this area (even if it's not related to restaurants) so I'm hoping you guys could provide better feedback. Here are the quote details:

Restaurant Ordering Platform

$249 – One time set up Fee
o Platform customization
o Unique alert system for incoming orders
o Place link to existing website
o Add company logo
o Update image gallery
o System training – 5 users

$149 – monthly usage fee
o Includes unlimited log ins by administration – 5 Admins
o Unlimited menu items
o Unlimited on-line orders placed and filled
o Unlimited updates to menu and images
o Take orders for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
o Unlimited coupon promotions
o Add unique pages tailored to your restaurant – 3 pages
o Custom reporting options
o Create buzz with featured menu items
o Ability for client to place group order with pin number
o Ability for client to create log in and save payment method
o Priority customer service & tech support

Hosting - $30/month - Included
o Hosting
o Email
o Backup and natural disaster recovery
o 24 hour service

Does this look reasonable?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Is this proposal reasonable?

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:03 pm

I have no experience with this particular type of service, but the usual way to determine what "reasonable" looks like in a specialized market is to blind-bid at least three competing vendors and compare quotes based on (a) the minimum required feature-set and (b) vendor reputation. Then, negotiate the final terms of purchase with the preferred vendor using information gleaned from the competing bids.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:20 pm

What Ludi says. Getting the experts to compete brings out the helpful, educational tidbits too.

If you play a cheaper quote off against a more expensive one, the expensive guy will tell you why you absolutely cannot operate without a somophlange, whilst the cheaper guy will tell you why two doohickeys are way better and more cost effective than a somophlange. You get the best quote and you learn a whole lot more about the field you're looking into.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:04 pm

I can't exactly comment on those prices but I will say some of those "features" seem like they should be standard. Like... who is limiting admin logins? Take orders for breakfast, lunch and dinner? What makes those orders different from each other besides the actual food? Is there a reason why I shouldn't have expected 24/7 ordering by default?

Definitely recommend your friend get a few more bids or check in to other services.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Yea, I let him know he should shop around more and get competing bids. We'll see how things shake out. Thanks for pointing out some of the oddities Washer; I hadn't noticed that myself.