Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Need a new headset: split audio (?)

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:24 pm

I'm not even sure what the term is I'm trying to ask -- I'm that bad with everything sound related. Let me explain:

I'm sick of using shoddy USB headphones where the connectors pull apart/eventually break. So I'm looking at getting good-ole trusty analog headphones (which ones, I'm not sure yet) -- a pair with a mic attached, of course. Is it possible to direct audio (Vent/teamspeak) from the headset and game/music through speakers? I didn't think* this was possible with Windows 7, but I do have a Xonar DG.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Need a new headset: split audio (?)

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. If the system cuts off the speakers when the headphones are plugged in, just unplug the headphones (but leave the mic connected).

A bigger concern is feedback. If the sound is coming out the speakers and the mic is on, you may have some feedback issues...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:38 pm

I've got a setup similar to what you're looking for, except I use Mumble instead of Vent or Teamspeak when gaming. The key is that I have a discrete sound card (like you). I use the onboard Crab audio for headset out (Mumble audio only) to my Razer Carcharias, X-Fi mic for audio in from the headset and X-Fi 5.1 analog out to my Z-5300e's for my surround sound. I didn't even need to install the drivers for the onboard - though you may need to make sure it isn't disabled via BIOS.

Since I don't use them, I suppose the only thing you need to worry about is whether or not Vent or Teamspeak allow you to change your I/O devices or if it only allows you to output/input to/from your default devices.

just brew it! wrote:
A bigger concern is feedback. If the sound is coming out the speakers and the mic is on, you may have some feedback issues...
Not really an issue with this set up since the voice is headset only and the mic usually doesn't pick it up. You may need to turn down the mic sensitivity or turn up the cut off volume since it may pick up game/music audio coming from the external speakers or your gaming buddies may sometimes complain of hearing an echo.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Oh it's possible. Good deal guys / penguins.