Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

CitizenErased
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Canadian Gaming PC Boutique

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Besides NCIX does anyone know of a Canadian based gaming PC boutique like IBUYPOWER or MAINGEAR? I'm planning on buying a gaming PC soon, probably in November. (Yes I know build it yourself). and want to buy from in Canada to avoid large shipping prices, customs charges and exchange rates. Thank you.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Canadian Gaming PC Boutique

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:16 pm

www.newegg.ca
www.canadacomputers.com/
www.tigerdirect.ca
www.memoryexpress.com/
www.ncix.com (which you've already listed)

I've ordered on-line from all of them at various times and have never had a problem with any of them. They're usually always pretty close to each other (price wise), so I usually get a spreadsheet going to compare prices/shipping/taxes. When doing a build I'll frequently order from a couple of them.

Never had to return anything so I can't say anything about their customer service, but I've always received what I've ordered, undamaged, on time.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

CitizenErased
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:59 am

Does anyone have any build experience with www.memoryexpress.com? how is there build quality/prices/warranty/shipping and so forth?

codedivine
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:26 am

CitizenErased wrote:
Does anyone have any build experience with http://www.memoryexpress.com? how is there build quality/prices/warranty/shipping and so forth?

I don't have experience with buying from them online. However, I have purchased one custom-built PC from them in their brick-and-mortar store in Edmonton once. And it was a good experience with good service.

HolmesIV
Gerbil In Training

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:39 am

I purchase components from them (memoryexpress.com) online; and I've since advised two friends (both of whom have had PC's built by them) in Calgary to use them. So far no problems. One took a defective video card back to them and exchanged it without difficulty; I haven't had any personal experience with exchanges with them.

Quality seems fine, prices quite competitive to other Canadian suppliers. Do keep in mind that you're often (though not always) looking at a 10% or more premium over US prices for electronics. Shipping (I almost always use cheapest ground with everyone) was ok. Not as fast as NCIX or Amazon.ca, but significantly faster than Newegg.ca. (Your mileage may vary of course).

Returns can be headaches. I'd dealt for years with shoprbc.com (an Ottawa outfit that I would still rate relatively positively, though no longer as positively). I had an obviously defective hard drive -- I ran the manufacturers diags as soon as I installed it since it was making strange noises, and the manufacturer told me to take it back to the retailer. They argued very aggressively and forcefully that the drive looked fine that they'd have to put it in a queue for testing and charge me for a new one until they could confirm what I was saying. Boggle. Since I'd spent thousands there over many years, I was a bit taken aback at the very aggressive attitude. However, they were as good as their word and did indeed remove the credit card charge within a day or so.

I'd figure out what you want, and price it out at a couple of reputable suppliers. If you're lucky enough to stumble into a big sale somewhere that coincides with what you're building, that could save you a bit too.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:08 pm

I used Direct Canada (www.directcanada.com) a while back and it was ok. I heard that they are another front for the guys behind NCIX.

I shopped quite a bit in Toronto from Infonec (www.infonec.com) offline. Their prices on average are higher but I enjoyed the store shopping experience. When they have specials the prices are as competitive with the other guys. Their store service and quality are so good that I won't hesitate to recommend trying to buy online from them if you find something you like.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.