Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Clearing Steam Cloud

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:11 am

Ok ok, You all know that I like Steam but this past weekend I came across something that is ultimately frustrating and thats the Steam cloud. There is no way to reset it as far as I could find. Sure there's tons of convoluted steps and ways to try and do it and for some it seems to work. I spent most of Sunday trying any and all of these and nothing, I am still stuck with something in the 'cloud' that I want gone.

So my problem in a nutshell is that there is a script I used a long time ago in TF2 that is no longer useful and is banned on the servers that I play (it cause crashes because of the wait command is no longer recognized) . In fact I can play well without it. (yes its the Demoman's fast firing sticky script :( ) I want to clear this but because it is saved to the Steam cloud it comes back.

Does anyone have a foolproof nonconvoluted way of clearing the Steam cloud? Why doesnt Valve just put a button in the options to clear the Steam cloud! :evil: grrrrrr

Oh and before all you Steam naysayers thread jack......Don't! Your snide and asinine comments are not welcome.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Clearing Steam Cloud

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:30 am

Don't you have locally saved config files? At least for DODS, I just change my local config and it updates the Steam Cloud version on its own. Does TF2 do things a bit wonky?
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:44 am

TheEmrys wrote:
Don't you have locally saved config files? At least for DODS, I just change my local config and it updates the Steam Cloud version on its own. Does TF2 do things a bit wonky?

There are local config files and when I edit those I was hoping that it would overwrite the cloud but the exact opposite happens, the cloud overwrites the local stuff. I could always turn off the cloud for TF2 but then that just means that stuff is "stuck" up there. I would just like to reset it if all possible.

(BTW I know there are two places to turn the cloud on and off, one is within Steam and the other is within the game properties)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:12 am

I've noticed that if I turn off steam cloud and turn it back on a few days later, I'm asked if I would like to have the cloud sync the newer files or keep the older ones.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:40 am

Valve/Steam customer service?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:52 am

Philldoe wrote:
I've noticed that if I turn off steam cloud and turn it back on a few days later, I'm asked if I would like to have the cloud sync the newer files or keep the older ones.

Hmm I may just try that.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:55 am

I obviously don't know what you're tried or found on Google, but this post on the Steam forums seems pretty complete. I haven't tried it myself, though. I'm also not sure it qualifies as "non-convoluted" either.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:22 pm

mortifiedPenguin wrote:
I obviously don't know what you're tried or found on Google, but this post on the Steam forums seems pretty complete. I haven't tried it myself, though. I'm also not sure it qualifies as "non-convoluted" either.

Very very convoluted and yes that was the first one I tried and it didn't work.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')