Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: TR BBQ ~IX~ Official Thread - August 11, 2012

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:43 pm

I have 12GB of Hi-Def video and photos I am trying to upload for Damage, who may put something up on front page, but here is one of the group pics where I tried to get everyone to look straight at the camera, smile, and not blink.
(It was like dealing with my 4 and 6 year old kids) lol

If the link doesn't work, let me know.
EDIT: Not sure why the right side is cut off; will fix later.
Edit #2: New link added to higher rez photo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j84p0t52mxd2mq0/DSC00217.JPG
Last edited by Dposcorp on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:47 pm

Is that Underdog ?
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:49 pm

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:33 pm

A couple pics that I think merit being posted directly in the thread:

These pictures were taken seconds apart so I inset Ivan's reaction to the potato cannon into a shot of Ned getting it ready for launch. He was very concerned.

I wanted to be the first one to post a proper picture of my Hatcam & TechSling getup. A select few of you have seen it already because they saw my reflection in the tablet screen while watching the stream. I was super happy with how it worked out even though more bandwidth and a paid LiveSteam account would have made it way better. Next year we'll shoot for 720p @ 30 FPS.

Fighterpilot

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:56 pm

LOL...it looks like a Weight Watchers party.
Maybe you oughta serve tofu and crackers next year. :lol:

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Ned will have to come back next year with his cannon, as I missed it!
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:12 pm

idchafee wrote:

No problems with me assuming scheduling works. May have to look into shipping certain components to someone else attending so I can take the Canada shortcut.

EDIT: Google tells me that only saves 120 miles and 2 hours, so it looks like it'll be the long way again. Also, Damage has video of the firing and asked me if I have issues with him posting it. I told him that the wife knew I had the thing with me so he was in the clear.

EDIT 2: One statement was made by most everyone who saw it in action: "Where'd it go??"
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:35 pm

I didn't have the $150 or so to invest in gas this year. Next year...

Looks like it was killer fun.

Dposcorp

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Fighterpilot wrote:
LOL...it looks like a Weight Watchers party.
Maybe you oughta serve tofu and crackers next year. :lol:

A few of us carry a bit extra weight, but some of us you would not want to get into the Octagon with ;)
(or meet in a dark alley, like gleek lol)

idchafee wrote:

I have some nice HD video of the launch from the side; it is 60FPS so slowing it down a bit in VLC was pretty cool.

Still uploading most of it, but sent Damage a couple of PMs with some of the links for him to upload or post, in the forum or front page.

I am still sorting thru 12GB of data, but I think most of it is HD Video of the tourney that is mostly boring. :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:05 pm

What a terrific event! Great people, great food & drink, great fun. Hope I can make it again next year.

I even got my Swiss Army knife back that I lost on the beach there last year! :lol:

Cap'n, I don't think I got to try much of your local Vermont beer; there were just too many different things to try. Next year!

Did SHOES collect enough money to cover the cost of the fireworks? If not, I've instructed gleek to contribute the $20 he owes me from the hardware swap.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:25 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Cap'n, I don't think I got to try much of your local Vermont beer; there were just too many different things to try. Next year!

Gleek & I barely got the cooler back into my back seat (one skinned shin was enough for me). Hopefully by the time I'm home most of the 44lbs of ice I put into it Saturday AM will be drainable water (and yes, my wife will tell you I always go overkill on the ice).

Your homebrew was very tasty. I clearly need to step up my efforts before next year. Brewing season is coming (I tend to brew only in fall/winter for temperature reasons, lacking a dedicated thermo-regulated environment) and I hope to have something worthwhile. I was quite intrigued by the CO2 tops for 2-liter soda bottles and will be hitting up my local homebrew shop for details/$$.

EDIT: Remember how I said I thought I had about 100 unique IP addresses in the forum database. I was off by a factor of 3. Try 290 unique IPs.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:08 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Your homebrew was very tasty. I clearly need to step up my efforts before next year. Brewing season is coming (I tend to brew only in fall/winter for temperature reasons, lacking a dedicated thermo-regulated environment) and I hope to have something worthwhile.

You could try doing some styles that tend to use temperature-tolerant yeast strains, like Saison (unless you don't like those). I've also been noticing recently that some of the English strains are allegedly good to the mid-70s; if you ferment in the cellar and keep a small fan blowing on the fermenter to keep it as close as possible to ambient while the yeast is most active that might be doable as well?

Wyeast 3711 - French Saison (good to 77F)
Wyeast 1318 - London III (good to 74F)
Wyeast 1099 - Whitbread Ale (good to 75F)

Captain Ned wrote:
I was quite intrigued by the CO2 tops for 2-liter soda bottles and will be hitting up my local homebrew shop for details/$$.

If they don't stock 'em, you can get 'em online for $14: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-carbonator.html

I forget, do you already have a CO2 tank/regulator setup?

----

Also, a general question for all who attended: Did anyone happen to find a SDHC camera card in a small plastic case?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:38 am

just brew it! wrote:
You could try doing some styles that tend to use temperature-tolerant yeast strains, like Saison (unless you don't like those). I've also been noticing recently that some of the English strains are allegedly good to the mid-70s; if you ferment in the cellar and keep a small fan blowing on the fermenter to keep it as close as possible to ambient while the yeast is most active that might be doable as well?

If I wait until fall/winter my cellar (stone foundation/dirt floor; search the 'Porch for "how I bathed in raw sewage today" for pics) stays a lovely 55 or so, perfect for traditional English yeasts. I know some of the newer strains can exceed that, but I also think that pushing the temp boundary is part of my current flavor issues (above and beyond the chloramine).

just brew it! wrote:
If they don't stock 'em, you can get 'em online for $14: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-carbonator.html

I forget, do you already have a CO2 tank/regulator setup?

No, but it's a lot easier to explain away using it to bottle in 2-liters instead of a Corny keg.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:57 am

Captain Ned wrote:
No, but it's a lot easier to explain away using it to bottle in 2-liters instead of a Corny keg.

You can bottle-condition in 2-liters too (no need for the special cap), though you'll obviously get more sediment that way.

The downsides of using plastic 2-liter bottles for anything other than short-term storage and transport are that the plastic is slightly oxygen permeable (so the beer will not keep for an extended period of time), and the carbonator caps are relatively expensive (buying enough of them to bottle an entire batch that way would cost you about as much as a new keg, and close to 3x the current going rate for a used keg).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:06 am

Ah, but SWMBO hears "keg" and envisions my fraternity taproom of 30 years ago.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:08 am

Captain Ned wrote:

Heh... I see your dilemma!

I am fortunate in that my wife likes good beer, and (as of ~2 years ago) also homebrews and has a part-time job at a brewing supply store (employee discount FTW). :D

Our current issue is that she makes more mead than beer, and this ties up fermenters for months at a time. I guess we need to use that employee discount to get a couple more carboys...

drfish
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:14 am

just brew it! wrote:
The downsides of using plastic 2-liter bottles for anything other than short-term storage and transport are that the plastic is slightly oxygen permeable (so the beer will not keep for an extended period of time), and the carbonator caps are relatively expensive (buying enough of them to bottle an entire batch that way would cost you about as much as a new keg, and close to 3x the current going rate for a used keg).

I may not know much about beer, but I do know a little bit about oxygen barriers! The same material that the raft is made out can also be bought with a layer of EVOH extruded into it. I don't have the numbers memorized but its at least a factor of 100 if not 1,000 less permeable to oxygen then PE alone - so depending on the composition of the bottle it could be a big help. If you had an application for it I would be happy to send you some material to play with - I could even weld it into 2-liter size sleeves if you wanted. We use the EVOH material when we make tanks specifically for transporting wine.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:37 am

:o Has the BBQ always been this much of a homebrew swap?

Not to give away my [lack of] age again, but I'll have to come next year with some homebrew when I can legally partake. For that matter, I'll have to step up the homebrewing if I'm to have more than a couple beers to bring.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:41 am

I think we topped last year's event - it was a great experience once again!
Thanks to Dr. Fish and family and TR peeps and everyone else that helped make this thing so great 8)
I accidentally left a bottle in the kitchen that JBI gave me - an orange peel porter :(

And now, I must brag a little bit -
I AM THE CHAMPION that everyone will fear next year! mohahahaa!

I walked away with one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130643
-and- one of these:
http://techreport.com/r.x/2012_2_22_A_l ... nt-top.jpg
and a couple new TR shirts too :)

So yeah, I'm pretty thrilled right now! But now I have to buy more stuff - that's what happens when you win a mobo ;)

Dposcorp

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:51 am

A couple of small BBQ videos; lunchtime and group picture silliness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LntE7_QqrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UJKNggRxD4

Also, I know we had some first timers this year; can you guys post and let us know how it was for you and where you traveled from?

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:49 am

My recap is finally up here:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/23409

Dposcorp, I had enough pictures for a short write-up even without all of yours. I did include your group shot (with my eyes firmly closed in it!), which is all I really needed. I'll leave the rest of the posting of pictures to you.

Thanks again, guys! It was awesome.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

pcgeek86
Gerbil

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:54 am

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

I am fortunate in that my wife likes good beer, and (as of ~2 years ago) also homebrews and has a part-time job at a brewing supply store (employee discount FTW). :D

Our current issue is that she makes more mead than beer, and this ties up fermenters for months at a time. I guess we need to use that employee discount to get a couple more carboys...

I want more of JBI's beer. We'll have to make some arrangements, since he and I are not more than 5 miles apart :)

Dposcorp

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:07 am

Damage wrote:
My recap is finally up here:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/23409

Dposcorp, I had enough pictures for a short write-up even without all of yours. I did include your group shot (with my eyes firmly closed in it!), which is all I really needed. I'll leave the rest of the posting of pictures to you.

Thanks again, guys! It was awesome.

I have more then one a few with your eyes open :P
I'll post them here then.

pcgeek86 wrote:

I want more of JBI's beer. We'll have to make some arrangements, since he and I are not more than 5 miles apart :)[/quote]

What did you guys think of it? This was your first time at the BBQ, right?

pcgeek86
Gerbil

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:11 am

The event was awesome! Yes, it was my first time, and thankfully my girlfriend enjoyed it, too! Colton's property is a FABULOUS place to have the event, especially since we can fire off fireworks right on the beach, see the stars, and have fire going right on Lake Michigan!

We'll have to raise a couple thousand dollars next year for a bigger fireworks display, and get a few of those big things going at once!

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:57 am

grantmeaname wrote:
:o Has the BBQ always been this much of a homebrew swap?

No, not really... I believe gleek has been bringing homebrew for a while, and we both brought some last year and this year. This year in addition to the homebrew several people brought assorted microbrewed beer from different parts of the country; even with small (like 3 ounce) pours it wasn't possible to try everything.

I think Inkling's brother (who doesn't read/post on the forums much) may have had a little too much fun... :wink:

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:17 pm

I'd like to take the time to say that I hate you all for the fun you had without me.

Thank you,

Someone Across The Ocean.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

AMDisDEC
Gerbil

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:32 pm

I haven't seen such a diverse set of attendees since my last visit to a John Birch meeting.
ASUS K8N-DL | Dual 860 Opterons | 4GB ECC

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:

I will drink the hell out of some of her mead next year, if she'll bring it.
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.

eitje
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:37 pm

morphine wrote:
I'd like to take the time to say that I hate you all for the fun you had without me.

Thank you,

Someone Across The Ocean.

I mentioned it in the front-page post, but I'll re-say it here:
here's what you do: find a place, start a thread, and invite people.

If we get enough people in enough time zones involved with next year's thread, then TR BBQ X can be an around-the-world, all-day event.

That's how enthusiasts roll.
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LntE7_QqrM

lol, watch closely at what happens from 0:17 to 0:24 ... :lol: