Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Jon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Your opine on the best GTX 680 flavor.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Hey,

Well gents it's time to dust off that 3rd display that's been sitting on the floor collecting ... err dust for the past 5 months.
After my last experience with triple monitor gaming and since GPU's have matured somewhat in recent months I'm finally bringing the hammer down on the decision to buy a Geforce GTX 680. But which one to buy?
I table my question as follows: Which GTX 680 card would you buy and in which vendor direction do you sway?

-j-
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Your opine on the best GTX 680 flavor.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:42 pm

I already bought the GTX680 (though in retrospect, I should've probably waited for GTX670 - it is very close in terms of speed and is significantly cheaper). I went with EVGA's version - EVGA is a very good company, with excellent warranty and very good and responsive customer support (which I had to use a couple of times before). I have a regular, non-overclocked version - it was the only one easily available at the time of purchase and I don't really need extra performance from overclocking. If you want faster versions - EVGA has many different editions with guaranteed overclock, including the one with pre-mounted waterblock. They also have their own overclocking tool, called "Precision X", with a video guide, if you're into manual overclocking.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:46 pm

EVGA for a blower, ASUS for aftermarket cooler. I prefer blowers though, as they work better with positive airflow setups that eliminate dust and keep the noise down.

theadder
Gerbil

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:02 am

I agree with JohnC. EVGA without question.

Having forgotten to register my card and condemning myself to only 1 year warranty, I contacted them the other day when the card failed. They are sending me a new one 4 years after the warranty ended, despite the fact that it was my fault.