Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Windows 8 - Neuter Metro and use desktop only.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:13 am

Hi,
I did check to see if there was a topic on this already, so forgive me if Im just rehashing here.
On this website, I keep seeing people do not want to use Windows 8. A few might like it, but on the whole people really seem to dislike it. I tried it and I realized that Im one of those people.

But lately I checked the web and found this tool called FxxkMetro. I found it on this Chinese website(http://bbs.pcbeta.com/viewthread-1057890-1-1.html), but if you google it, you will find other people who have mirrored the files, so you dont have to sign up there.

It basically kills metro. I installed Build 9200 in VMWare and put this in the startup. Installed Classic Shell and customized it the way I like it. Even saved the configuration so its a very simple matter of restoring this configuration on any future Windows 8 installs I do.

Now I have a start menu. And I don't have metro. Pressing Windows key brings up the start menu as usual and not the new start screen. I do not get any hotspots or whatever they call those corner points where moving a mouse brings up a menu. Then I went in control panel and made the Desktop apps like Picture Viewer, Media Player, Firefox, etc as the default programs, which barely took a minute. Now Its purely a desktop OS.

Im just putting this here, so that people who dislike the metro and are staying away from Windows 8 because of that will consider giving it a try. I doubt Windows 8 is much better than Windows 7, but if given the option its usually better to use the latest OS.

Edit: Classic Shell comes with an installer, starts up on its own and is very simple to configure. Just download the latest version from http://www.classicshell.sourceforge.net. It will let you customize it so you can decide exactly what you want on the start menu. It comes with an option to boot directly into desktop mode at logon.

With FxxkMetro the simplest way to make it run every time you logon automatically is to use Win+R to open the Run box. Type "shell:startup" to bring up the startup folder. Just copy FxxkMetro.exe to this location so it runs every time you logon. You will see a black command prompt window open up for an instant and then it will disappear. There is nothing else to it. No system try icon or anything like that. To remove it from startup, simply remove the file from the startup folder.

Here is a mirror link for the FxxkMetro : http://rghost.net/38776710
Last edited by rahulahl on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Intel i7 4790K
MAXIMUS VII RANGER motherboard
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Windows 8 - Neuter Metro and use desktop only.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:23 am

Talking about leaked versions is getting close to rule 1. Tread carefully.

/mod
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:26 am

Why don't you give this a shot on the RTM version and let us know how it goes?

edit: It seems you are rehashing what you said in another thread though. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82991
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:48 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Talking about leaked versions is getting close to rule 1. Tread carefully.

/mod

Ah.. thanks for pointing it out to me. Fixed now.
DancinJack wrote:
Why don't you give this a shot on the RTM version and let us know how it goes?

edit: It seems you are rehashing what you said in another thread though. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82991

That thread only has classic shell. Metro still gets in the way. Since as soon as your mouse goes to any corner of the screen, it rears its ugly head. And build 9200 is RTM, so it does work on it.
Intel i7 4790K
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:53 am

rahulahl wrote:
That thread only has classic shell. Metro still gets in the way. Since as soon as your mouse goes to any corner of the screen, it rears its ugly head. And build 9200 is RTM, so it does work on it.

I was just saying that you said the same thing in both threads.

rahulahl wrote:
The best thing is, you can customize this really well. It boots directly to desktop as well.
I used it with an application I found on PCBeta that kills Metro completely, so that not even moving the mouse in the corner will do anything. I am now waiting and ready to install Windows 8 when it comes out. Without these 2 things, I wouldn't even bother installing it.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:01 pm

Yea, I just thought this deserved a thread of its own.
Intel i7 4790K
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:27 pm

DancinJack wrote:
rahulahl wrote:

I was just saying that you said the same thing in both threads.

I am sure it won't be the only thread once more people get to experience the new OS. ;) Someone is bound to start a hate thread soon enough and I will have my hands full watching that one.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
I am sure it won't be the only thread once more people get to experience the new OS. ;) Someone is bound to start a hate thread soon enough and I will have my hands full watching that one.

I think Win8 haters are going to need to be quaranteened until they calm down. Things can already get bad when anything about Windows 8 is posted. o.O
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks for this. I never got an answer to "does it work on latest versions" after MS claimed it would be neutered. I appreciate your help - it is worth a new thread.

May I suggest you might elaborate on the install for n00erbees?

rahulahl
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Added a few lines to explain how to make it startup automatically.
MS just removed the code for the Start Menu that comes with the OS. I suppose any application like Classic Shell that has its own files for the menu will work just fine. So yea, these worth even in the RTM.
Intel i7 4790K
EVGA GTX 1080
16GB Ram
550Watt Seasonic PSU
Asus Rog Swift PG278Q
Windows 10

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:34 pm

superjawes wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

I think Win8 haters are going to need to be quaranteened until they calm down. Things can already get bad when anything about Windows 8 is posted. o.O

/me gnashes teeth and tears against the restraints

Seriously, I class myself as a "hater" by your definition because so many things about Windows8 leave a sour taste in my mouth and as an enterprise administrator it looks like a catastrophe in every sense of the word.

For a tablet, it's going to be the best thing since touchscreen interfaces were invented. I think you'll find most the W8 hate on this site is actually carefully directed at the one-size-fits-all approach Microsoft are using.

It's as if they don't care about traditional laptops or desktops and will compromise usability on those to gain traction in the tablet market. Windows 8 will be okay on the traditional desktop, but it won't be the solution that we all know it could have been if Microsoft wasn't being so stubborn about forcing change upon W8 adopters. The general consensus is that the loss of freedom and flexibility is bad, in the same way that losing your freedom of speech is bad. Just because someone else's opinion is different to yours doesn't mean they should be silenced. Just because someone else's usage preferences are different to Microsoft's doesn't mean Microsoft should take significant steps to stop them from doing what they want.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
/me gnashes teeth and tears against the restraints

Seriously, I class myself as a "hater" by your definition because so many things about Windows8 leave a sour taste in my mouth and as an enterprise administrator it looks like a catastrophe in every sense of the word.

For a tablet, it's going to be the best thing since touchscreen interfaces were invented. I think you'll find most the W8 hate on this site is actually carefully directed at the one-size-fits-all approach Microsoft are using.

It's as if they don't care about traditional laptops or desktops and will compromise usability on those to gain traction in the tablet market. Windows 8 will be okay on the traditional desktop, but it won't be the solution that we all know it could have been if Microsoft wasn't being so stubborn about forcing change upon W8 adopters. The general consensus is that the loss of freedom and flexibility is bad, in the same way that losing your freedom of speech is bad. Just because someone else's opinion is different to yours doesn't mean they should be silenced. Just because someone else's usage preferences are different to Microsoft's doesn't mean Microsoft should take significant steps to stop them from doing what they want.

Kinda proving my point :wink:

It's not that I want anyone silenced. It's just that Windows 8 is drawing out the worst of responses from people, quickly moving from disgruntled to HULK SMASH. Regardless of position, everyone just needs to take a step back and a few deep breaths. That's the point I was trying to make. :D
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.