Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

ADHDadditiv
Gerbil
Topic Author

Good gaming mouse for a lifter

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Hello people, I have been looking into getting a good gaming mouse but I have discovered a problem on my end... Im a lifter, meaning when I use the mouse, instead of leaving it flat on the mousepad at all times, I lift it so that I can keep my arm in a central position. Ive heard of people have HUGE problems with this on different mouses across the board. ie: Cyborg R.A.T 7 so I am looking for suggestion on the perfect gaming mouse for my needs.
What I need is:
Decent amount of easy to press side buttons as I plan on using it for Guild Wars 2. I have big hands though, so keep that in mind.
Good DPI as I play alot of FPS shooters
Prefer it to be lit up, not necessary though

BUDGET: $110 Canadain, Including tax, I may go higher for the right mouse.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Good gaming mouse for a lifter

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm not sure I completely understand the "lifting" problem...so I can't really comment on that, but for side buttons, I use a Naga for WoW, and it's got good DPI for shooters, too. Fair warning, you probably won't be using all the buttons right away. I had to start with the corners and gradually feel my way around. Now I can use all 12. The 2013 edition looks like it moved mouse buttons 4 and 5, but it also comes with changeable side panels.

Logitech has a similar mouse, too
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Just get something with an IR sensor instead of laser and up the polling rate for your USB. Lots of good choices out there. I have a DeathAdder and I think it's awesome.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

ADHDadditiv
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:11 pm

superjawes wrote:
I'm not sure I completely understand the "lifting" problem...

The lifting problem means that I lift the mouse off the mousepad and attempt to have my arm sitting in a straight position when I finish the swipe. Basically it means that I wreck mouses faster then most other people who dont lift. For example, I have read reviews on the R.A.T 7 and people say that if you are a lifter, it is entirely possible to bend the actual chassis of the mouse, making it unusable. Granted if anyone here corrected me, or told me how to prevent that, I would go for the R.A.T 7 simply because it will fit my big hands and long fingers.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:52 pm

If you're physically damaging the mouse I would call that 'smashing' not 'lifting' :P

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:54 pm

From what I've read, the R.A.T. mice seem to just have a poor construction (frame bending issues, movable parts/buttons getting "loose" or "stuck" over time, etc.), probably nothing to do with how people use them, "lifting" or not... Personally I would recommend to look at Logitech mice (it's the only thing the Logitech does "right") - I've been using their various models over the year, they had a perfect "fit" for my somewhat large hands and none of them had any kind of mechanical damage or buttons getting stuck/loose... I would recommend the MX518 model, but it's not being made anymore, so try out the newest variant of same model - G400 or G500. Just make sure to try them before you buy, as you can never know whether the mouse will feel "comfortable" enough with YOUR particular hand size/shape :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

ADHDadditiv
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:03 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
If you're physically damaging the mouse I would call that 'smashing' not 'lifting' :P

I'm not smashing it at all, I am very gentle lifting and putting down, but its just the nature of it hitting the pad over and over again that can damage it over time. My friend suggested a Corsair M90, but I dunno if I like it.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:19 pm

I'd agree with JohnC on the Logitech MX518, best mouse I've ever owned. Like he said the G400 and G500 are it's successors. I just bought a Corsair M60 and so far my impressions are favorable, I couldnt pass it up for $39 on Amazon.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

keboman
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:21 pm

I do the same thing. The only mouse I've ever been comfortable with is an Intellimouse Explorer 3.0.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:04 pm

I have always had a claw grip and since you move the mouse with your fingers rather than your arms there's a lot of lifting off the mousemat.

My key requirements are that the sidewalls of the mouse be grippy and flat and that the body of the mouse be reasonably wide - Logitech G9 series are about the best shape I have found as long as you don't want to use the wheel as a button. They have a variety of shells to change the width and feel, but the rough-surfaced gaming grip is my preference for the claw grip. The G9x are also pretty light when you take all the weights out, and that's important for a lifter, I think.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Just get a mouse with a high enough DPI and you won't need to lift it. I used to be a "lifter," but when I got a high DPI mouse I got out of the habit.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:23 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Just get a mouse with a high enough DPI and you won't need to lift it. I used to be a "lifter," but when I got a high DPI mouse I got out of the habit.

Urgh, high-dpi is horrible for muscle memory and accuracy. Also, making small movements in a narrower range is far more likely to cause carpal tunnel sydrome.
Each to their own, but don't try converting the way someone uses a product to fit the product. There are different products on the market to fit the different people.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 am

The Taipi I have has a adjustable lifting height. You can setup custom surfaces. Lifting is still a thing regardless of DPI. It's usually necessary for people who don't normally move their arm when the mouse skips so they can reorient it.

I'm a lifter sometimes, high DPI, claw, and rarely move my arm. The Taipi is working out pretty good for me.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:04 am

Frame bending on a RAT 7? How is that even possible, this thing has a slab of aluminum on it. Where it doesn't have ~90 degree bends in the aluminum for extra strength, the plastic shell reinforces it. Sure, I could see a manufacturing defect and the aluminum was warped, but short of running this thing over with your car I can't see it bending from use. I guess I could see several impacts over a period of time causing issues with the components.

I've had my RAT 7 since they were introduced, it has fallen on to the concrete floor more times that I can count. I'm not much of a lifter but it still happens throughout the day. The problem I have with this mouse is that there is a sticker ring around the opening of the laser. After years of use the sticky part has started to ooze out and collect dust and very small pieces of hair. The mouse will start to track weird or fail to track at all so I have to turn it over, put my pinky in the laser opening and spin it around so that it removes the gunk around the edges that is interfering with the laser. The optics are recessed enough so that I am not touching them. Works perfectly after that. Now that I am talking about it, I should really just remove that sticker..
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

ADHDadditiv
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Bensam123 wrote:
The Taipi I have has a adjustable lifting height. You can setup custom surfaces.
Umm, I think you may have the name wrong or something because I googled it and couldnt find anything resembling a mouse. I am interested so please get back to me on it!

AlexGP
Gerbil In Training

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:46 pm

Do you even lift?

ADHDadditiv
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:50 pm

AlexGP wrote:
Do you even lift?

.... yes... that is the ENTIRE point of the thread. Because I lift, I kill mice faster then people who dont. Did you even read anything in the thread?

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm also a lifter - and another +1 for the MX518. It's light and sturdy. I also use MX310's and those have held up very well as well.
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:15 pm

As a lifter what you really want is a large size heavy-duty mouse.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

countcristo
Gerbil

Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:54 pm

I am using a logitech g5 and at 2000 dpi with a 1920x1200 resolution screen... I am left with the feeling of wanting higher dpi. Thus, as someone had stated earlier I'd go with the G500 with 5700 dpi. The last mouse I owned before the G5 was a MX510. If you like ambidextrous mice though, look at Razer.

ADHDadditiv
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Just bought a Cyborg R.A.T 7 and initial thoughts are that I think I wont be lifting this mouse very often or to at all, you can make it heavy enough that it discourages that automatic feeling to lift. I will post again after I actually game for a couple of hours

ADHDadditiv
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:07 pm

After further gaming in Crysis 2 and Age of Mythology I found I only lifted occasionally, mainly because I hit the end of my mouse pad. The only real problem I have with it so far is that the main plate on the bottom doesnt go to the very back of the mouse, making it so that if you rest your palm on the end, the front of it lifts, if you only put your palm on it lightly, its fine but all in all its a great mouse so far. Its gunna take some getting use to but it should be fine by the end of the weekend.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Best lifting mice (Discontinued) IMO:

Logitech MX300 (light, flat sides, great sensor)
Razer Diamondback

The Taipan looks good but I am not a fan of buttons under my pinkie - the way I lift has always meant those buttons get accidentally clicked. Sure, you can disable them but wouldn't it be better if the problem didn't exist in the first place?

mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:41 am

I have the m90 and it feels really good. I don't know what people keep saying about it being heavy, I think its just right. Any lighter and the mouse would be cheap feeling.

AlexGP
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:37 am

ADHDadditiv wrote:
AlexGP wrote:
Do you even lift?

.... yes... that is the ENTIRE point of the thread. Because I lift, I kill mice faster then people who dont. Did you even read anything in the thread?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/do-you-even-lift