Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

willyjwebb
Gerbil
Topic Author

WIFI issue

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:43 am

so i have a very strange issue, i have an airlink pci wireless g card, although this issue isnt specific to just one card or one pc for that matter
im running windows 7 64 bit, and cannot seem to get internet access with a wifi card. i have tried this in 3 different desktops, and have tried 3 different wireless cards
im starting to think its a router problem, but my laptop in the same room never had an issue with connectivity, and still doesnt. wired access works fine, and both my laptop, and my and my gfs galaxy s2's have connectivity, so im really starting to get frusterated
I7-860, 2x4 gig crucial ballistix ram,64 gb kingston ssdnow, 2tb wd fyps2002, ihas rev b burner, radeon 5850, rocketfish 900 watt, coolermaster elite

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: WIFI issue

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Troubleshooting WiFi issues is a nightmare without specifics, and tedious even with specifics.

There are two assumptions I make:
  1. You have a cheap router
  2. You have a cheap Wireless NICs.
Don't take it personally, it's just that most free/cheap routers ISP's give people are garbage and most Wireless NICs are cheap and basic.

1. Uninstall any crappy apps or non-driver software that came with the Wireless NIC, you want to use Windows drivers and nothing more; Ideally Windows will detect the NIC and install drivers, otherwise you want to manually install the driver from the .inf file.
  2. Go to the Wireless connection properties, configure the adapter and set preferred mode to 802.11g instead of mixed mode or b/g/n
  3. Remove any old remembered networks from the "manage wireless networks" link in the Network and Sharing Centre
  4. Logon to your router and set a WPA2 (AES) instead of a WEP or WPA (TKIP) security key.
  5. Set the router's wireless mode to 802.11g as per step 2.
  6. Save changes (router will probably reboot) and reboot your PC for good measure. Probably unnecessary but it depends on your Wireless NIC and whether you had to uninstall non-microsoft WiFi management software.

If it doesn't work now, your Router is probably buggered. If it does work, you can try enabling things like Mixed mode for better performance and enabling 802.11n if both router and card support it.
99% of all "I'm having wireless issues" I solve are to do with godawful 3rd-party utilities that pretend they can manage WiFi connections but in practice just fail hard and cause people to come running to tech support :\
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

willyjwebb
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: WIFI issue

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:46 pm

the issue seems to have worked itself out, and i never install any utilities that come with wireless cards, im using the windows drivers now, wpa2 aes, and i have a motorola wireless router / modem from my isp, was getting quite frusterating, but seeming to work now
I7-860, 2x4 gig crucial ballistix ram,64 gb kingston ssdnow, 2tb wd fyps2002, ihas rev b burner, radeon 5850, rocketfish 900 watt, coolermaster elite