Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Florida2112
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Eyefinity..??

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:57 am

Hi, all.
I wanted to find someone that knows how to do ( 6 ) screens eyefinity.
I need detailed directions, and please speak to me as a beginner.
I have ( 3 ) screens current; but would like to go to ( 6 ) now..
I can't find anyone that has done this or even knows all the steps.

Remember, full instructions, please.

Thank you for this site.......
Florida

Florida2112
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Re: Eyefinity..??

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:00 pm

WOW I guess this is a really hard one over 50 views and no advice..
I hope someone know this answer.. I looked on AMD site and it didn't give detail info on 6 screens.

Thank you all for reading at the least....

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 pm

If you start typing "eyefinity" into a Google search, one of the suggestions is "eyefinity setup." Unless someone here has already done a 6-screen setup, that's what people will be referencing. The thing you'll probably need is a second graphics card for more video ports. You shouldn't necessarily need a matched GPU to your current, but it wouldn't hurt.

You should also keep your posts condensed, but Crossfire is AMD's way of driving more power into a single screen by using 2 GPUs (it could be more screens, but the general idea is more GPUs for one image). You would be link two matched GPUs over a proprietary bridge, and then probably take a look at AMD guides to work out the kinks in the setup. I wouldn't recommend that, though. A single, fast GPU is generally higher value than throwing in more cards.

I could be a little off on the needs for more than 3 displays, but that is how a friend of mine hooked up 4 displays (2 4870's, I think).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:29 pm

The usual way to do a 6-head setup is with a 6-head card like this one. You'll either need 4 DisplayPort-capable displays, or DisplayPort-to-DVI converters.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:21 am

just brew it! wrote:
The usual way to do a 6-head setup is with a 6-head card like this one. You'll either need 4 DisplayPort-capable displays, or DisplayPort-to-DVI converters.

Additionally, if the displays are not natively displayport, you'll need to use ACTIVE DP-DVI converters that are USB powered. I tried Eyefinity with the passive adapters and ran into problems until I looked up this little tidbit on the AMD eyefinity setup guide.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Florida2112
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks guys,

but I need a to z instructions... I have 2 cards 7800 series, ready to go but need step by step... have three screens running now.
NOT sure how to get 6 running..
Is there a particular firm ware I need to run 6 screens...

Thanks again,

Florida

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Do you have 6 screens already?
Are they all identical and do they all have displayport?
If yes, then you're good to go.

It's a little out of date, but the step-by-step stuff you're after is probably http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/product/ATI_Eyefinity_Setup.pdf
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:06 pm

How about Google and/or an AMD related site? The best thing about setting up a new configuration is the learning process involved.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.