Eyefinity..??

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Eyefinity..??

Postposted on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:57 am

Hi, all.
I wanted to find someone that knows how to do ( 6 ) screens eyefinity.
I need detailed directions, and please speak to me as a beginner.
I have ( 3 ) screens current; but would like to go to ( 6 ) now..
I can't find anyone that has done this or even knows all the steps.

Remember, full instructions, please.

Thank you for this site.......
Florida
Florida2112
Gerbil In Training

Re: Eyefinity..??

Postposted on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:00 pm

WOW I guess this is a really hard one over 50 views and no advice..
I hope someone know this answer.. I looked on AMD site and it didn't give detail info on 6 screens.

Thank you all for reading at the least....
Florida2112
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 pm

If you start typing "eyefinity" into a Google search, one of the suggestions is "eyefinity setup." Unless someone here has already done a 6-screen setup, that's what people will be referencing. The thing you'll probably need is a second graphics card for more video ports. You shouldn't necessarily need a matched GPU to your current, but it wouldn't hurt.

You should also keep your posts condensed, but Crossfire is AMD's way of driving more power into a single screen by using 2 GPUs (it could be more screens, but the general idea is more GPUs for one image). You would be link two matched GPUs over a proprietary bridge, and then probably take a look at AMD guides to work out the kinks in the setup. I wouldn't recommend that, though. A single, fast GPU is generally higher value than throwing in more cards.

I could be a little off on the needs for more than 3 displays, but that is how a friend of mine hooked up 4 displays (2 4870's, I think).
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-RIP Leonard Nimoy
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:29 pm

The usual way to do a 6-head setup is with a 6-head card like this one. You'll either need 4 DisplayPort-capable displays, or DisplayPort-to-DVI converters.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:21 am

just brew it! wrote:The usual way to do a 6-head setup is with a 6-head card like this one. You'll either need 4 DisplayPort-capable displays, or DisplayPort-to-DVI converters.

Additionally, if the displays are not natively displayport, you'll need to use ACTIVE DP-DVI converters that are USB powered. I tried Eyefinity with the passive adapters and ran into problems until I looked up this little tidbit on the AMD eyefinity setup guide.
Some people ask me why I have always enclosed my signature in spoiler tags; There is a good reason for that, but I can't elaborate without giving away the plot twist.
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks guys,

but I need a to z instructions... I have 2 cards 7800 series, ready to go but need step by step... have three screens running now.
NOT sure how to get 6 running..
Is there a particular firm ware I need to run 6 screens...

Thanks again,

Florida
Florida2112
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Do you have 6 screens already?
Are they all identical and do they all have displayport?
If yes, then you're good to go.

It's a little out of date, but the step-by-step stuff you're after is probably http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/product/ATI_Eyefinity_Setup.pdf
Some people ask me why I have always enclosed my signature in spoiler tags; There is a good reason for that, but I can't elaborate without giving away the plot twist.
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:06 pm

How about Google and/or an AMD related site? The best thing about setting up a new configuration is the learning process involved.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to Graphics