Re: best antivirus software?

Fri May 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Another vote for MSE and MBAM...
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!

bitcat70
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 25, 2012 3:17 pm

I haven't seen this one mentioned, so I'll throw it in here: Comodo Internet Security. That's what I use along with their DNS. I found it through http://www.matousec.com/ and it's been good to me.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Fri May 25, 2012 3:40 pm

bitcat70 wrote:
I haven't seen this one mentioned, so I'll throw it in here: Comodo Internet Security. That's what I use along with their DNS. I found it through http://www.matousec.com/ and it's been good to me.

I use this as a firewall only, because I like to spread the internet security wealth so to speak, but their AV is surprisingly good from my experiences with it.

clocks
Gerbil

Fri May 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Comodo IS offers great protection, but it can be difficult to use for many people due to it's HIPS.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Fri May 25, 2012 4:03 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
Ryhadar wrote:
l33t-g4m3r wrote:
I also don't like how MSE spies on your computer by continually checking whether or not you have a "genuine" copy of windows.

Do you have a source for this? I know for sure MSE checks that you have a genuine copy of windows when you install it but never heard about it doing it after it is installed.

There are multiple sources, including Microsoft.
*snip*

Those wiki articles don't say that MSE will phone home after install, only that it comes with the WGA Validation Library. The wiki entry you pseudo linked also mentions WMP11 and initial use of Windows Update as additional gateways for WGA Validation Library, so worrying about it might be moot. Also, I read your chosen quotes as MSE may let you install but if your copy of Windows isn't legit after 30 days it'll stop working. I'm referring to this one in particular: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage

Like Flying Fox, I couldn't find any other information on that matter. However, the WGA Notifications tool (that comes with update KB971033) was the culprit for phoning home per the article but doesn't express the same concerns over the library.

The notification tool has been accused of spyware-like behavior, "phoning home" on a daily basis

If you've downloaded WMP11 or have used Windows Update chances are good you have the WGA Validation Library already installed. So you can look at this two ways: 1) Your PC is continually phoning home at regular intervals due to the WGA validation library regardless if you chose not to install KB971033; 2) Your PC isn't phoning home if you chose not to install KB971033.

For what it's worth, I have MSE installed on a Vista 32-bit machine and haven't had any problems. I'm not saying Vista + MSE won't cause problems but only that I haven't seen them.

Also, I don't wanna hi-jack the thread anymore and I'm not saying your wrong either l33t but just throwing my $0.02 in and leaving it at that.

tesmar
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri May 25, 2012 4:13 pm

ordskiweicz wrote:
The 'must have programs' pages being seriously rusty, I wonder what you find optimal in AV programs.

I run ESET (which I am happy with) and Avast on another box (don't like the interface and sluggish updates).

Also - I've forgotten the name of the site that runs quality non-commercial tests of these programs? Google gives me pages of sponsored junk - was no help. Thanks.

Linux
The world is indeed full of peril. But there is much that is fair. And though in all lands love is mingled with grief, it grows the greater. J. R. R. Tolkien

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 25, 2012 7:19 pm

My Windows 7/32 system was rooted twice when I used MSE. I don't know why it was so ineffective.

I now use Avast and Windows 7/64 and it seems to be a lot more secure.
I wish I had gone to med school.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 25, 2012 7:27 pm

I use my brain. It's not hard to keep your system safe if you have good, smart habits and nearly ANY form of AV software.

Can we be done now?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri May 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Ryhadar wrote:
Those wiki articles don't say that MSE will phone home after install

Apparently nobody discussing this with me is reading both articles, and suffer from both normalcy bias and Stockholm syndrome. The MSE article does say that, and that was one of the first thing's I quoted. I also don't use WMP, or have WGA installed.
viewtopic.php?p=1122399#p1122399
DancinJack wrote:
I use my brain.

That helps a lot. I like to keep an eye on running programs and startups. Much like driving where you should concentrate on the road, not your cellphone.
The Swamp wrote:
My Windows 7/32 system was rooted twice when I used MSE. I don't know why it was so ineffective.

Because it originated as a cheap av primarily designed to trick people into running a validation tool. Newer versions may work better though.
bitcat70 wrote:
Comodo Internet Security.

There's also Rising. Neither one has very high detection rates, the hips is probably the main defense. ZoneAlarm was one of the first to try this approach, and IMO is one of the best hips suites. They keep a pretty good database of known programs, so you have less nagging prompts. Keep in mind hips is separate from detection capability.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2012 5:58 pm

Thanks. Lots of support for MSE but I'll go elsewhere on moral grounds. I have gone to the dark side on their firewall.

It's re-up ESET or try BitDefender. (had it with norton though it appears lower footprint and effective; Kapersky trial also made a dent in general performance)

Or Linux

streagle27
Gerbil

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:24 am

I would recommend using Eset AV, or ESET Smart Security Suite (AV + Firewall).

ESET is beta-testing v6 so you have a few months of free use and testing of their latest features. Compared to McAfee and Symantec products, it's much less intrusive and CPU/RAM intensive, esp when updating. I refuse to run McAfee/Symantec anymore based on their resource hogging, rootkit installing ways of the past, and present even if perhaps they've gotten just a wee bit better.

MSE is usually listed at the bottom of tested products at http://www.av-comparatives.org/, even below AVG and AVAST which are free. Not sure why anyone would run MSE unless they are ignorant of Avira (or even AVG and AVAST).

Unfortunately, I would never recommend MSE nor would I use AVG unless there was no other choice for some reason.

Avira seems to give pretty good testing results at av-comparatives compared to MSE, AVG and Avast.

I've used and informally tested all the above (and below).

As for spyware, I'd only use Ad-aware now and perhaps Spy-bot. Malware-bytes bites, unless you pay for it so it can scan autorun entries. So I don't use it anymore nor recomend the free version to anyone for just that reason. Not scanning autorun entries for issues is not what I call a 'feature' even if it's free of charge. Unless someone feels like paying for it, the free version is useless (to me).

druidcent

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:37 pm

I've tried Avira, and their free product is extremely irritating with the amount of pop-ups that show every time I login and/or sit back down on my computer... It's worse than Mcaffee or Norton.. :P

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:16 am

Unless Linux ever manages to grab enough desktop market share to become an attractive target for malware writers, I believe Linux is the best anti-virus software... :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:41 am

just brew it! wrote:
Unless Linux ever manages to grab enough desktop market share to become an attractive target for malware writers, I believe Linux is the best anti-virus software... :lol:

Shhhhhh! Don't tell people that, otherwise it'll get more popular and then malware writers will start targetting it!
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:41 am

just brew it! wrote:

Now the secret is out :(

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:32 pm

Why Malwarebytes with MSE? MSE not enough? Last time I tried running more than one active security program, they kept wanting to shut each other down or otherwise kept giving me warning pop-ups.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:51 am

DeadOfKnight wrote:
Why Malwarebytes with MSE? MSE not enough? Last time I tried running more than one active security program, they kept wanting to shut each other down or otherwise kept giving me warning pop-ups.

MSE is "not enough" because it, just like every other antivirus program out there, does miss stuff, especially adware and similar crap. MBAM does detect and remove "adware", "fake antivirus" and similar crapware better than any antivirus program, but it doesn't detect viruses/trojans very well, so they kinda "complement" each other. You don't really need to run MBAM all the time in active mode, though, especially if you have at least some "common sense" to not click on any "you have a virus on your PC! Protect it with our product!" or "try our new wonderful game!" browser pop-ups. Just keep the free version installed, and occasionally scan your PC with it, especially if you notice some "weird" stuff happening like your browser changing your start-up page, etc.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

kristi_johnny
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:17 am

I'm using Avast for years, used to run Norton, Bitdefender, but in time those got bloated, to much resorces. After i switched to avast, the system started to run smoother, it a good antivirus, get the Internet security version, not that expensive. or get the free version, still good, doesn't have a firewall.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:22 am

I have used Norton and Panda in the past, but they both seemed too intrusive for my liking. I like MSE because it keeps a low profile, has updates streamlined with Windows Update, and it's free.

I have heard that Kaspersky is a really good option for subscription-based service, does anyone have any recent experience with this? Is it even worth paying money for these any more?
Last edited by DeadOfKnight on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

druidcent

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:07 am

I tried getting away with just MSE, but Windows kept telling me I need an AV software.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:25 am

druidcent wrote:
I tried getting away with just MSE, but Windows kept telling me I need an AV software.

Something's broken then. I've never had that issue with it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

TDIdriver
Gerbil First Class

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:31 am

ESET and never look back.
NOD32 is 15.99 for a 1-year 3-PC license on Newegg right now btw. It doesn't matter if it's version 4 or 5 because you can use the license with either, and you can use it for any platform available. So if you have a computer with linux and one with windows you can use the same 3-pc license on both.
Q9450|GA-EP45-UD3P|8GB G.skill PC2-8800|HD7870 Myst
120GB Vertex3|300GB Velociraptor|HX650|600T

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:15 pm

An Update. ESET Nod 32 v6 beta is a free 60 day trial. Google it and go to the download site at ESET.

Having bought v5 just now, I am using this and then will install my paid versions - hopefully updated to v6.

With the rebate, the Eggs prices are very good for ESET right now.

TDIdriver
Gerbil First Class

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:17 pm

ordskiweicz wrote:
An Update. ESET Nod 32 v6 beta is a free 60 day trial. Google it and go to the download site at ESET.

Having bought v5 just now, I am using this and then will install my paid versions - hopefully updated to v6.

With the rebate, the Eggs prices are very good for ESET right now.

If you download the latest version from the site you can just use your v5 code to unlock it.
Q9450|GA-EP45-UD3P|8GB G.skill PC2-8800|HD7870 Myst
120GB Vertex3|300GB Velociraptor|HX650|600T

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Yeah, I assumed so but the PR did not make this clear. It was the case from 4 to 5.

Thanks.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:32 am

After trying out many free antivirus packages I've stucked with Avast! Free for a while now. Clean interface, strong defense, plus the bonus of vocal alerts. When I do a scan, I just turn off the monitor and do something else, and when the scan is complete a female voice will alert me that the scan is completed. I also like AVG Free but I'm not sure AVG is still very keen on supporting its free package moving forward.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

shaluma
Gerbil In Training

need help

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:06 am

which one is the best antivirus software?

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Re: need help

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:26 am

Welcome to TR Forums!

If you look back to my post on this question dated May 25, 2012 you'll see a wide range of views.

You might try Eset Nod version 6 beta - a free 60 day trial. This software gets lots of support and cots about $19 per computer per year when bought online - after the free trial of course.

Other like Microsoft Security Essentials (free) or AVAST! (free).

If you have specific concerns, you may find more detail on the thread from May.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: need help

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:28 am

Merged into main AV thread.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

clocks
Gerbil

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:46 am

yuriylsh wrote:
clocks wrote:

I'm wondering why they show results for MSE version 2.1 when the current one is 4.0. Nothing has been changed?

MSE 4 is rated in there latest go around. It still under performs most of the other freebies.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/test-reports/