Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Mint and 64 Studio

Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:10 pm

I'm downloading the latest distros for Mint and 64 Studio. Initially I plan to install them to a spare 750 GB or 1 TB hard drive for ****s and giggles. And self-education, of course. Will give me something to play with when I get tired of Windows. :P

Audio and MIDI are important to me, hence my desire to play with 64 Studio again.

Before I burn them to DVDs, does anybody have any suggestions to improve my odds of success?

My current hardware specs (I am thinking of upgrading, but this is what I have at the moment):

* Q6600
* Asus P5KC motherboard
* 8 GB Ram (forget the brand...OCZ, Corsair, something with big heatsinks on them :roll: ...)
* ATI 57xx graphic card
* Presonus FireStudio Project - audio and MIDI interface
* UAD-2 (must be able to sit safely dormant in its PCIe slot; can't be removing it whenever I need to boot Linux)
* An assortment of microphones and a couple of older but still great music keyboards
* Numerous MIDI controllers from Novation, Native Instruments, Arturia, and M-Audio

Thanks!

BIF
Topic Author

Re: Mint and 64 Studio

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:13 pm

Tried to install both today. Each installer in turn presented me with a different yet unexplainable/unexplained question or problem that I did not know how to answer or fix. Installations have been deep-sixed for the night week. It's only Tuesday and my patience is tapped.

1. Mint didn't see Windows 8, didn't see the MBR or other signs that another OS already exists (in two partitions) on my hard drive or that I have numerous existing data and application partitions on this drive. So Mint wants to install over my entire hard disk. There is no clear way for me to choose or create a partition, even after spending 20 minutes clicking here and there and everywhere on the installer dialog screen. I think one or more options may be mistakenly greyed out/unavailable, maybe due to my hard drive's partition layout/types. There is no help button for that dialog, no wizard (I hate that name), and the User Guide is no help for this part of the installation. The UG is clear and concise but only assumes successful paths and does not go into any detail about possible exception conditions or requirements for the hard drive.

2. 64 Studio uses a Debian installer; looks like my AMI Bios screens. So he can't find my "network card" and presents me with a list to choose from. My motherboard's Ethernet adapter is not in the list and the installer offers no clues to guide me. But it does try to be helpful and offer to install a Firewire Ethernet driver. Might as well offer to rotate my tires for all the good that will do me.

*Sigh*

Even Windows 8 installed without fuss or drama. Or making me go to school. :-?

I'll retry another day, but for the moment, my Magic 8 Ball says... "Signs point to No". I'm trying to smile anyway... :P

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Well, you could temporarily pop an old PCI NIC in to do the 64 Studio install, and deal with the NIC driver issue after you've got the rest of it set up (or even just leave the NIC in there). That's odd though, I don't think I've ever seen Ubuntu/Debian fail to recognize a wired NIC (wireless is another story...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Madman

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:45 pm

BIF wrote:
Tried to install both today. Each installer in turn presented me with a different yet unexplainable/unexplained question or problem that I did not know how to answer or fix. Installations have been deep-sixed for the night week. It's only Tuesday and my patience is tapped.

1. Mint didn't see Windows 8, didn't see the MBR or other signs that another OS already exists (in two partitions) on my hard drive or that I have numerous existing data and application partitions on this drive. So Mint wants to install over my entire hard disk. There is no clear way for me to choose or create a partition, even after spending 20 minutes clicking here and there and everywhere on the installer dialog screen. I think one or more options may be mistakenly greyed out/unavailable, maybe due to my hard drive's partition layout/types. There is no help button for that dialog, no wizard (I hate that name), and the User Guide is no help for this part of the installation. The UG is clear and concise but only assumes successful paths and does not go into any detail about possible exception conditions or requirements for the hard drive.

2. 64 Studio uses a Debian installer; looks like my AMI Bios screens. So he can't find my "network card" and presents me with a list to choose from. My motherboard's Ethernet adapter is not in the list and the installer offers no clues to guide me. But it does try to be helpful and offer to install a Firewire Ethernet driver. Might as well offer to rotate my tires for all the good that will do me.

*Sigh*

Even Windows 8 installed without fuss or drama. Or making me go to school. :-?

I'll retry another day, but for the moment, my Magic 8 Ball says... "Signs point to No". I'm trying to smile anyway... :P

Don't panic, usually you need to take a break, step away from PC and think what's wrong in general.

Lets start with (1).

As I understand, you booted from live DVD, and you can play with Mint, right?

So next you have to check if Mint sees the HDD. And if it does, you need to understand what's happening with partitions.

Easiest way is probably to launch gparted which is loaded into memory via live DVD.

I think you should see disk /dev/sda, with partitions /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, plus some unpartitioned space.

If you don't see /dev/sda, or /dev/hda or something like that, there is a chance your HDD is not detected.

If you see more than two partitions, there is a chance you have used up all primary partitions. Either way, analyze the situation and tell us what you see.

If disks and partitions are good, are you sure you're clicking "Do something else" or something like that on install screen from live DVD?

Now (2)

Is Mint live DVD capable to open the Web? Firefox is loaded in memory with live DVD, try it. How do you know the network card is not detected if you haven't done the full install?

What does the ifconfig say? Do you see eth0, is the name of the eth0 that of the actual card?
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

BIF
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:58 am

Thank you for trying to help. I WILL come back to this, I promise. :)