Thanks Forge! The material is a spacer fabric and it's really cool stuff. You've seen it before in a lot of other applications, mostly shoes and maybe your car seating. I know Logitech and Corsair have used it for mouse pouches and modular cable bags respectively but really it's everywhere. What we're using is a 6.5mm variety and it has quite a bit of body so we can make the whole thing as one layer of material. The inside and outside are woven differently but it is still just one layer of material, it's just tall
. It feels nice and padded and very protective. I used an mSATA drive for scale in my pictures.
The other big thing that is different is the elastic closure strap. It took a bit to find just the right material but what we chose has a lot of body and stretches just enough to make the fit a little more universal (especially for chunkier cases). For the Sport we didn't want to make a bunch of different sizes again so we picked two primary form factors, the ~7" and the ~10" - which doesn't sound a lot different but things are generally oversized so the ~7" should be able to handle up to a [caseless] 8.9" Kindle (unconfirmed, it would be tight!) and the ~10" was basically made for the Surface Pro but works just fine for an iPad or smaller 10" device.
Silly animated gif of the elastic (not a lot
of stretch but I think just enough):
We also swapped out the old grosgrain ribbon and switched to ribbed nylon webbing for the binding on the front edge. It is the same material that is already on existing TechSlings for making the loops that the galluses and d-ring hang from. It adds more body and a better looking/more durable finish to the front edge. Speaking of the d-ring we decided to get rid of it since it mostly wasn't being used.
I don't have one of the phone/accessory sides handy to take pictures of but we basically made all the same changes to it material wise (including the elastic), we also made the phone pocket bigger (think Galaxy S3/4s, not
Galaxy Notes) and added a divider to the zipper pocket similar to but simpler than what I showed in the prototypes in this thread
We didn't make the backstrap part of the Sport because so far the best one I've come up with is just a bit of parachute cord run though the slots on the galluses and knotted on each end. I think it's better for someone to do that themselves if they want it anyway.
Let me know what you think!