Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Put together 12 Monitor System but need help managing them

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 am

I have put together 12 monitor system & everything seems to be working fine except I need help detecting & identifying & managing 12 monitors & get them to do what I built it for.

I have built this system for stock market trading & I will be running a main application that has 12 windows which I can detach & put each of them on a separate monitor.

I am running windows-7 ( 64 bit ) & other specs are as follows.

It is a Dell Workstation T -7500 which I upgraded with Custom Graphics cards to do necessary tasks.

Intel Xeon E5645 @ 2.4 GHz

It has 3 ATI FirePro 2460 Video cards each of them have 4 output ports & thus handles 12 monitors in total.

I2 GB DRR3 ECC RAM

12 Identical Dell ( U2412M ) 24 inch monitors ( 1920X1200 )

Here is what I have now & what I would like it to do.

I have arranged 12 monitors in two rows of six each.

Windows-7 identifies 12 monitors but labels only 10 monitors with numbers 1 to 10 & shows two monitors without numbers in display property.

They are given random 12 numbers in each row & I can’t rearrange them starting with number one in bottom right corner & number 12 in Top right corner.

I am having trouble locating mouse in each monitor. I would like to point the mouse cursor in any monitor at will which I can’t do now.

I would like to detach & drag 12 windows from main application to the desired monitor.

I am willing to Buy any special multi monitor software if you guys know that can do the job.

Thanks much in advance.

morphine
TR Staff

Re: Put together 12 Monitor System but need help managing th

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:17 am

DisplayFusion is awesomesauce. I've been using it. Much better than Ultramon. Can't predict how it will handle TWELVE monitors, but it's worth a shot. They have a feature-limited Free edition, too.

Also, I hate you. Nothing personal :P
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:31 am

First of all, I think I speak for everyone when asking if you can post a picture of this impressive array. Quite the system you have!

Just to start with the elementary questions first: you can't drag the display icons around in the Win7 display control panel?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:00 am

morphine wrote:
DisplayFusion is awesomesauce. I've been using it. Much better than Ultramon. Can't predict how it will handle TWELVE monitors, but it's worth a shot. They have a feature-limited Free edition, too.

Also, I hate you. Nothing personal :P

Bless you & Thanks.

Will checkout Ultramon

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:02 am

DPete27 wrote:
First of all, I think I speak for everyone when asking if you can post a picture of this impressive array. Quite the system you have!

Just to start with the elementary questions first: you can't drag the display icons around in the Win7 display control panel?

Tried dragging but won't work

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:29 pm

I get that same message on my displays and haven't really found a good solution. I have been able to still order the monitors via the windows display properties and dragging them to correct order, but it is still pretty much guess and check and no guarantee that it will boot up that way. Between the monitors becoming unordered and my screens losing connectivity, the whole project has been a pain in the ass to manage.

My setup consists of 7 separate PC's running multiple fireglide cards as well. Four machines push 2x6 panels, two machines push 1x10, and the last one spans across the 70 inch screens on the outside (the are running cable now though). The panel TV's are all 42 inchers.