Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

travbrad
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

BF3 $20

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Battlefield 3 is for sale for $20 on Origin right now for anyone who is interested. Well worth the price in my opinion even if you do have to use Origin. :)
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: BF3 $20

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:10 pm

travbrad wrote:
Battlefield 3 is for sale for $20 on Origin right now for anyone who is interested. Well worth the price in my opinion even if you do have to use Origin. :)

Yup. Brings the BF3 + Premium package down to $70, which helps (you want Premium, as evil as the idea is...).

Aegaeon
Gerbil In Training

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:30 pm

You can get the Battlefield 3 Premium Edition, which includes BF3, the 5 expansion packs, and the "Multiplayer Head Start Kit" (extra weapon and vehicle unlocks) for $60:

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3 ... um-edition

It's a preorder with a release date of Sep.11, so you would have to wait a week to save the extra $10 (over buying BF3 and the expansion packs separately).

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:06 am

Considering 11th is the day they release armored kill (for premium pc/xbox, already out on ps3), they probably did it for those that havent jumped on the bandwagon yet but would like to get into armored kill with a decent package.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 am

Airmantharp wrote:
Yup. Brings the BF3 + Premium package down to $70, which helps (you want Premium, as evil as the idea is...).

Still havent gotten what's so evil about saving $20 if you are getting all the packs together with a few extra goodies on top...

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

Still havent gotten what's so evil about saving $20 if you are getting all the packs together with a few extra goodies on top...

That all of that stuff should have been included in the game :).

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
That all of that stuff should have been included in the game :).

So what it boils down to is the DLC or no DLC roadcrossing.

To be honest, I'm not sure I would agree with that. As for the extra guns, assignments, etc, they are rather more like a skin, so I can see the argument go either way on those. Nothing is in reality much more then a different skin.

As for the maps, If I wasnt one of those to get everything through premium, I definitely wouldnt want to pay for development of maps that I would never play. Especially the people getting into the close quarters are a different demographic than the traditional battlefield community, and there is a huge bunch of people that wouldnt even think about getting that pack. As for armored kill, I think that appeals more to the battlefield community as a whole, so there the argument holds more water.

On the other hand, that extra development would've made the game more expensive and even longer in development if not doing it as DLC. Yeah, I would like my stuff free just like in BC2, but that was more of a test of the PC market again. I would say you get more now in the DLC compared to the older DLC packs that you had on BF2, because many people never played those in multiplayer. The Northern Strike package for 2142 on the other hand, had a pretty nice crowd.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Sorry, should've thrown an /s out there for fanboi fodder- while I don't like the $15 a pop or $50 at once scheme, the amount of content (in maps) mostly makes up for it. I've certainly paid $15 for DLC and gotten much less before!

travbrad
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Aphasia wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

I don't think there's anything "evil" about premium. It's just not that good of a deal if you have no interest in Close Quarters (like me), and already have Karkand from the pre-order. $50 for the 2 DLC I care about (Armored Kill/Endgame) is $20 more than buying them separately, even if you do get to play them a couple weeks early.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:18 pm

I didn't like getting Karkand from the pre-order and then paying for premium, but it made sense- it was then the same price, and at the very least simplified things.

I never got into the unlock thing though. I've literally worked through all of the guns, and I'm now unlocking the last few items for the last two; the SCAR-L and the AUG, both of which seem to be quite potent. When I get to use the Assault kit (when I'm not hunting tanks or helicopters :)) the SCAR-L has turned out to be a beast. It's just plain mean, grabbing three or four unsuspecting kills with a magazine in very quick fashion.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:11 pm

travbrad wrote:
I don't think there's anything "evil" about premium. It's just not that good of a deal if you have no interest in Close Quarters (like me), and already have Karkand from the pre-order. $50 for the 2 DLC I care about (Armored Kill/Endgame) is $20 more than buying them separately, even if you do get to play them a couple weeks early.

While I have premium, I think it's to early to say anything about the next 2 DLC's after armored kill... the ones called aftermath and endgame, since there is so little info about either of them. The quality of armored kill seems to be sky high when it comes to assets, I guess you've already seen the map fly buy and launch videos ?

Armored Kill - Launch Video (whatever the DLC will hold, the guy that does their trailers is worth every penny they give him)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDJdE88OX-0

Post about the enviroements (look at the flyby of the map and liste to the enviroment)
http://blogs.battlefield.com/2012/08/in ... ce-alborz/

The good question is how the game modes will play out once people start to find the little quirks that will inevitable be there.