I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Laptops, PDAs, Cell Phones, and all other tech that you carry with you.

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo, David

I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:44 pm

I currently have the original Droid X with Swype. It's about 2 years old now and has been a great phone. Even though it still looks new (due to the screen protector and armored case), I'm feeling that it may be time for me to start thinking about a new phone.

I am definitely interested in an iPhone, and will not make any final decisions until the new one has been released. But it's not a guarantee that I'll get an iPhone.

I'm on Verizon and would like to remain so. 4G would be preferrable, but also needs to be able to use my home WIFI. Android is fine, as would be iOS. Windows not so much.

As for usage, I do a fair amount of texting and email with my smartphone when I am not close to my iPad or one of my computers. Speed and efficiency are important to me. Stupid errors annoy me to no end. Swype's biggest strength, namely the word suggestion engine, is also one of its biggest weaknesses.

Examples:

Intended / Actual

--> If they're parked in the street / If they're intended in the street (huh?)
--> Choose A or B / Choose A our B (very annoying, this one; please make it stop!)
--> I tried to open it / I tried out open it (also very annoying; makes me sound like a doofus)
--> Getting Chinese takeout now / Frying Chinese takeout now

Now, this Droid is definitely much better than the phone it replaced, a Microsoft Windows Mobile phone. I would never go back to a Windows phone, not even a Windows 8 phone, unless I decided to start developing for it, but even then it would not be my primary device.

So...can anybody suggest any newer model smartphones that allow for better, more accurate, and faster typing? I'll assess the new iPhone when it is finally released. But I can certainly get a head start looking at other phones now.

Thanks in advance...
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 6:41 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:04 pm

I think wait for the new iPhone since it may have bigger screen and/or 4G, or go with a new Android phone with a Bigger screen, like a Galaxy S3.

The bigger the screen, the more accurate the typing. Also, with 4g, a newer phone with Siri or Google voice will be pretty accurate and fast for dictation.

Lastly, get a new phone, and want to sell your Droid X, I may be interested for the wife. :)
Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2394
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: Detroit, Michigan

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:09 pm

It's a Droid X, already has a pretty big screen, which I have thought may be a bit too big. I can't put it in a pocket or clip it to my belt, but instead I have to clip it to the outside of a pants pocket. I've already broken two clips and torn one pair of pants. I'm actually thinking smaller rather than larger, but I suppose the typing thing is more important to me at this point.

As for the sale...LOL, thanks...but I have been thinking more and more about doing development, so I might have to keep the Droid X for application testing. But I'll keep it in mind! :D
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 6:41 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:22 pm

All predictive text is rubbish.

What the Android does right, iOS gets wrong, and vice versa. No system is clever enough to compensate for the problem of touchscreen phones being massively inferior to a qwerty keypad like the blackberries.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1475
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:49 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:26 pm

Some of these can be fixed just by how you interact with swype. If you're not so bent on typing as fast as possible, slightly pausing on each letter (in particular, each letter of commonly-miscorrected words) will resolve it. I had the or/our issue, and holding briefly (1/2 second) on the O and the R fixes it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21150
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:50 pm

The reason I own a Galaxy Note instead of a keyboard phone (like my previous phone) is because it's easier to type with my clumsy thumbs.
ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:20 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:53 pm

FWIW, I've never had auto-correct problems on my WP7 phone, nor my WinMo6 & WinMo5 phone. Granted my WinMo phones had physical keyboards.
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Intel i7 2600k - Corsair H60 - Win 7 Pro x64
16gb Corsair DDR3 1600 - Sapphire 7970 - Gateway FPD2485W
2x320gb RAID0 - 4x1000gb RAID5 - Antec Signature 850W - Tagan Black Pearl
X-Fi Fatal1ty - Logitech X-540 - RK-9000 - G9
no51
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:35 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wi

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:05 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:The reason I own a Galaxy Note instead of a keyboard phone (like my previous phone) is because it's easier to type with my clumsy thumbs.


My note works great in this regard, but I will say that iPhones are quite easy to use one handed.

Still, since I don't do much of that, I prefer it to a smaller phone. My recommendation would be to wait for the Note 2 to be released along with the next iPhone, and compare.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:41 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Are there any good phones with physical keyboards any more? Because if it's really a major concern to you and more important than other specs, that's the way to go.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: In my head...

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:53 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:Are there any good phones with physical keyboards any more? Because if it's really a major concern to you and more important than other specs, that's the way to go.


There probably are, but the issue with physical keyboards is that they're a trade-off- either you get less screen area in a package with no moving parts (Blackberry) or you get a keyboard that has to be 'revealed' to be used, introducing cheap plastic 'joints' into the durability equation. Further, if you have a full screen and a full keyboard, your phone will be thicker.

I'd say it all depends on your focus, but more often than not I think people prefer the bigger screen in the thinner package; if they get a thicker phone, it's for a bigger battery a la Razor Maxx rather than a keyboard.
Canon 6D||[24-105/4L IS USM|100/2.8L Macro IS USM|70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|40/2.8 STM|50/1.4 USM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8 Full-Manual Rectilinear Wide-angle|
Canon EOS-M|11-22/4-5.6 IS STM|22/2 STM|EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS STM|
For sale!|24/2.8 IS USM
|
Airmantharp
Maximum Gerbil
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:41 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:57 pm

I had a Droid for two years. I now have an iPhone and the text input is much more accurate. It also has much better at correcting mistyped text.

I only had a Droid up through Gingerbread so I can't directly compare the iPhone to the Droid.
kumori
Gerbil Team Leader
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:23 pm

1) It sounds like your main issue with the phone is the soft keyboard.
2) You like text prediction.
3) A "new" Android phone will only get you a new version of the default Android keyboard, Swype, or an OEM "enhanced" keyboard, which will probably not make things significantly different.

So, before you decide to get a new phone... I'd suggest trying some alternate keyboards - with Swiftkey as the first one to try. If you end up liking a third party keyboard, a side benefit is that you'll be able to keep you using it if you upgrade to a newer Android phone. Plus, cost is usually pretty low, and there's usually trial versions.
nafhan
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:08 am

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Plus Swiftkey is currently 99 cents on sale right now so it's the best time to get it.
ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:20 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:07 pm

I recommend the Galaxy SIII with ICS Keyboard from the Market, I've had no issues at all
ASRock A55 Pro3, AMD A8 x4 3850 @ 4.7 + Xigmatek Gaia, Thermaltake V3 Black Edition, 8GB DDR3/1600, HIS 6870 1GB, 620W PSU, 500GB HDD, 250GB HDD, 3TB HDD, Logitech x530 5.1
PGleo86
Gerbil
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:55 pm

The stock ICS keyboard serves me well on my Galaxy Nexus. The larger display does help somewhat. However, if typing accuracy is really crucial, you can't beat a hardware QWERTY as stated already.

My previous phone was a cheap Motorola running Android 2.X. The phone itself was slow and a bit tedious to use, but it had a nice hardware keybaord (similar to a Blackberry) and, even though typing on the Galaxy Nexus touchscreen serves me well, it's not been quite as accurate as my former cheapo with the physical slide out keyboard.

Thanks to everyone copying Apple - :P - hardware keyboards seem to be an endangered species...
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:30 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:12 pm

I think you would love the HP Pre 3, it has a nice 3.6" screen and an excellent qwerty keyboard. It's a slide out keyboard btw.
GeorgeMichael
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:18 pm

If you are on Verizon, the Droid 4 might be right up your alley. It has a very good physical keyboard with an excellent, sturdy sliding mechanism. Granted a physical keyboard makes trade-offs for size and weight, but it might just be what you are looking for...
yokem55
Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:00 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:All predictive text is rubbish.

What the Android does right, iOS gets wrong, and vice versa. No system is clever enough to compensate for the problem of touchscreen phones being massively inferior to a qwerty keypad like the blackberries.

Only someone who hasn't used SwiftKey would say that. Seriously, it is that good. Most of the time, I only have to type 1 or 2 characters of a word, and it comes right up. Quite often, I don't have to type the word at all, as it will predict the correct word for common phrases

Try the demo, but since it's on sale for $1 right now, I would say just buy it.

My only issue with it is that it can lag sometimes when entering text boxes in browsers on my Desire HD, no matter what browser I use (some are better than others).
spuppy
Gerbil
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:48 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:32 am

I've tried virtually every software keyboard out there for android and let me tell you, the best solution BY FAR can't be found on the play store, but must be downloaded from the internet on your mobile browser... it's Swype! I'm not talking about the oem version of Swype that comes pre-installed on many phones, but instead the unreleased beta version that you can download from their website for free :). It's at least 5 to 10x better than the stock version that I had on my galaxy s. The only thing with it is that it takes a week or two to really adapt to your style. As proof of its quality, I typed this all using it with it only making a single error! :)
djayjp
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:44 am

You could go to a blackberry. Their keyboards are the best imo. Staying on Android it seems that these folks above have it about covered.
I have nothing against humanity that thousands of years of nuclear winter won't take care of.
destroy.all.monsters
Gerbil
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:48 am

djayjp wrote:I've tried virtually every software keyboard out there for android and let me tell you, the best solution BY FAR can't be found on the play store, but must be downloaded from the internet on your mobile browser... it's Swype! I'm not talking about the oem version of Swype that comes pre-installed on many phones, but instead the unreleased beta version that you can download from their website for free :). It's at least 5 to 10x better than the stock version that I had on my galaxy s. The only thing with it is that it takes a week or two to really adapt to your style. As proof of its quality, I typed this all using it with it only making a single error! :)


That is one of hell of an endorsement. I'll take you at your word on the one-error thing and will investigate the beta.

To all others: Thank you for your responses thus far. I'll respond after work one day this week.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 6:41 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:53 am

MadManOriginal wrote:Are there any good phones with physical keyboards any more? Because if it's really a major concern to you and more important than other specs, that's the way to go.

The nicest I've been able to find is the Samsung Captivate Glide, which is a Tegra 2 device with a slider keyboard. No ICS yet, though a Samsung release has been "leaked" on XDA. So it should be coming.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21150
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:18 am

destroy.all.monsters wrote:You could go to a blackberry. Their keyboards are the best imo. Staying on Android it seems that these folks above have it about covered.


Blackberry keyboards look the business. Is the physical UI of the next generation BB10 worth waiting for, or will current models like the Bold 9870 /9900 be almost as good and refined?
trackerben
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:12 am

If you are interested in an iPhone at all, definitely wait until the next is released. It may be better than current models, or if you don't care about the upgrades, the prices should drop on the 4S and 4. Heck, I think the 3S is free right now with a 2-year contract. Would definitely be nice if a 4 dropped to that price, or is the 4S started at $100 with the contract.
Save yourself the trouble and don't ask why the TV remote is in the refrigerator.
superjawes
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 982
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:49 am

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:22 am

Get a new Blackberry, The all QWERTY Bold 9900 also has a touch screen which makes menu work easy. I hea ra lot of good things about the All touch Torch 9850/60 And I owned the Torch 9810's little brother and never had a moments issue with the slider mechanism.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"
Philldoe
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2757
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 11:12 am
Location: Turn around...

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:34 am

superjawes wrote:If you are interested in an iPhone at all, definitely wait until the next is released. It may be better than current models, or if you don't care about the upgrades, the prices should drop on the 4S and 4. Heck, I think the 3S is free right now with a 2-year contract. Would definitely be nice if a 4 dropped to that price, or is the 4S started at $100 with the contract.

If he's already frustrated with the keyboard software on his Android phone, he is going to want to throw his iphone out the window if he ever tried using its keyboard.
spuppy
Gerbil
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:48 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:10 am

BIF wrote:
djayjp wrote:I've tried virtually every software keyboard out there for android and let me tell you, the best solution BY FAR can't be found on the play store, but must be downloaded from the internet on your mobile browser... it's Swype! I'm not talking about the oem version of Swype that comes pre-installed on many phones, but instead the unreleased beta version that you can download from their website for free :). It's at least 5 to 10x better than the stock version that I had on my galaxy s. The only thing with it is that it takes a week or two to really adapt to your style. As proof of its quality, I typed this all using it with it only making a single error! :)


That is one of hell of an endorsement. I'll take you at your word on the one-error thing and will investigate the beta.

To all others: Thank you for your responses thus far. I'll respond after work one day this week.


I'm sure you'll think it's a major improvement once you let it adapt! Just make sure you "allow installation of non market sources" in security settings of your phone otherwise you can't install it ;).
djayjp
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:27 am

I just want to put in another endorsement for SwiftKey! One thing I LOVE is that you can customize the pause needed to type the secondary character, I set mine to about 200ms and typing numbers and symbols for passwords is a breeze.

The prediction is really leaps and bounds ahead of the stock keyboard and Swype that my wife uses on her stock EVO 4G. Just a word of caution:
http://xkcd.com/1068/
pwdrhnd23
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:01 am
Location: Stoughton, WI

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:20 pm

pwdrhnd23 wrote:I just want to put in another endorsement for SwiftKey! One thing I LOVE is that you can customize the pause needed to type the secondary character, I set mine to about 200ms and typing numbers and symbols for passwords is a breeze.

The prediction is really leaps and bounds ahead of the stock keyboard and Swype that my wife uses on her stock EVO 4G.


Just a word of caution:
http://xkcd.com/1068/


ROFL! :P
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 6:41 pm

Re: I Need a Smartphone with more accurate typing

Postposted on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:51 pm

trackerben wrote:Blackberry keyboards look the business. Is the physical UI of the next generation BB10 worth waiting for, or will current models like the Bold 9870 /9900 be almost as good and refined?


At the moment I'm using a really ancient blackberry but I've used both BB 6 and 7 as well. I would say that if you can wait until roughly February when the new phones should be coming out to do that but there's nothing wrong with BB 7. 9900 has the best keyboard of the bold series since the 9000 and I'd get that before the 9780.
I have nothing against humanity that thousands of years of nuclear winter won't take care of.
destroy.all.monsters
Gerbil
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:07 pm

Next

Return to Mobile Tech

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests